Free Music for iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am thinking of getting an iPod Shuffle (2nd generation I believe). Is iTunes the ONLY place that we can go to download music? I am trying to find a place where we can download FREE music to our iPod shuffle. Thanks. Hope you can help me out here.
A: The first and most important thing to keep in mind is that you do not have to obtain your music online—you can import any music CDs you already own into iTunes directly and then transfer these onto your iPod Shuffle. Most new iPod owners generally already have a reasonable library on CD and this is often the first and easiest source of music for your iPod.
Although music purchased from the iTunes Store comes in the AAC format, the iPod supports both this format and the industry-standard MP3 format, so any tracks you can obtain in the MP3 format will play fine on your iPod as they will on any other digital audio player.
For obtaining digital content online, there are a number of options, and these are increasing dramatically with more music stores beginning to sell music in the unprotected MP3 format. Previously, iTunes was one of the very few places that offered iPod-friendly digital downloads as most other music stores were locked into the Windows Media Audio protected formats which were not supported by the iPod or iTunes. Now, however, services like eMusic and Amazon.com offer digital downloads as unprotected MP3 files that will play on almost every digital music player available with no built-in restrictions.
In addition to the major online music stores such as Amazon.com, there are also a number of sites available where limited selections of free, legal music may be obtained. You can get more information in our Guide to Free Music for your iPod or iPhone.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- ConnectSense Smart Outlet adds power monitoring, reduces price
- Automatic releases new Automatic Lite version of car monitoring accessory
- Apple releases fourth tvOS 10.0.1 beta
- iOS dev finds unimplemented one-handed keyboard in iOS code
- Apple sends out press invites for ‘Hello Again’ Oct. 27 Mac event
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.1 to developers
- Apple partners with builders to include HomeKit-enabled devices in new homes
- Report about Apple Pay in Japan hints at Oct. 25 release for iOS 10.1
- Apple Pay adds 20+ new U.S. banks and credit unions, MBNA Canada coming ‘mid-2017’
- Misfit launches Phase smartwatch
- Incase Icon, Pop, and Textured Snap for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Philips Hue Motion Sensor
- Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature Headphones
- Tech Armor FlexProtect and Shock Flex for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- SwitchEasy Flash and Fleur for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Blue Microphones Raspberry Mobile Microphone
- Incipio Haven for iPhone 7 and Reprieve Sport for iPhone 7 Plus
- Mophie Hold Force Magnetic Case System for iPhone 7
- Speck Presidio and Tech21 Evo Tactical for iPhone 7
- Belkin Lightning Audio + Charge Rockstar
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps