Games on iPod classic and 5G
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Is it possible to sync the built-in iPod Games such as Klondike and Vortex from an iPod classic to a fifth-generation 30GB iPod?
A: Unfortunately, the built-in games on the iPod classic are included as part of the iPod operating system and cannot be easily transferred off. Even if it were possible to copy these off and transfer them onto a fifth-generation iPod, they would simply not play on this model as it uses a completely different chipset and the two devices are not directly compatible.
All of the Click wheel iPod Games that are now available for purchase from the iTunes Store will play on both the fifth-generation iPod and the newer iPod models, however this is due to the fact that Apple has specifically compiled them for both the 5G and iPod classic platforms and bundled them together, so there are actually two different executable programs built-in to the same game bundle, and the appropriate one is selected for the iPod model that you are using. Games that were originally released for the 5G iPod needed to be upgraded by Apple before they could be played on the iPod classic. Further, Apple required 5G iPod owners to repurchase the same games if they wanted to use them on the iPod classic.
As the games that are pre-installed on the iPod classic were only intended to be played on the iPod classic, these do not include 5G-compatible versions. Unfortunately, while the three built-in games on the iPod classic were previously available from the iTunes Store in 5G iPod versions, they have since been removed from the iTunes Store with the release of the iPod classic models.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple offering hands-on demos of Super Mario Run in stores
- Report: Apple pursuing studio agreements for early movie rentals
- Apple releases seventh beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple makes its picks for best iPhone, iPad and Apple TV apps of 2016
- Apple acknowledges Apple Music now includes ‘all the benefits of iTunes Match’
- Apple Music tops 20 million subscribers
- Apple blames ‘external factors’ for iPhone fires in China
- Rumor: 2017 iPhones won’t include glass chassis or wireless charging; will add red color
- Top Apple supplier Foxconn planning U.S. investment
- Apple enables Single Sign-On across all iOS 10 and tvOS 10 devices
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Sen.se GuardPeanut
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10