Getting track info using the Internet | iLounge Article

Article

Getting track info using the Internet

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: I am importing CDs on a PC computer running Windows XP, but EVERY SINGLE CD import list comes up WITHOUT the song title, artist name or album title. All I get is Track 01 and no artist or album at all. What am I doing wrong? Have I loaded the software incorrectly or is Windows XP not powerful enough to operate the importing?

- Pete

A:  iTunes gets track information from the Gracenote CD Database, but requires an Internet connection to do so. If you have Internet access, make sure that in the General tab of the iTunes Preferences, Connect to Internet when Needed is checked.

If you have already imported CDs, and have an Internet connection, you can select the tracks in your iTunes library, then select Advanced > Get CD Track Names in iTunes. This should download the track information for most or all of your imported music.

Kirk McElhearn is the author of several books including iPod & iTunes Garage. His blog, Kirkville features articles about the iPod, iTunes, Mac OS X and much more.

« Authorizing/Deauthorizing your computer for iTunes

Software Updater for older 3G iPods »

Comments

Is the mini Ipod compatible with Windows NT?  I tried to download the software and it doesn’t seem to work.  Thx

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on January 7, 2005 at 1:13 PM (CST)

Windows NT doesn’t support USB at all.  Sounds like you need to update your OS, especially since Microsoft ended free support for NT at the end of ‘04.

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on January 7, 2005 at 1:44 PM (CST)

Tim may also need to update his iPod using the latest firmware available at:

A few months ago, Apple updated it’s Digital Rights Management scheme to Fairplay 2.0, which required a new firmware revision for existing iPods.  If Tim hasn’t upgraded his firmware recently, he may not be able to play modern iTunes Music Store files.

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on January 7, 2005 at 3:41 PM (CST)

What do i do if my i pod freezes and i am unable to do anything on it or even turn it on/off?

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on January 7, 2005 at 5:22 PM (CST)

If your iPod freezes, the best thing is to mail it to me….

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on January 7, 2005 at 7:54 PM (CST)

Which file or files do I need to copy to make a backup of my cd database in Itunes, to save having to resubmit all my CD’s to CDDB if reinstallation of ITunes is required.

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on January 8, 2005 at 5:44 AM (CST)

I own a ipod photo and I was wondering if there was anyone you can use one of your pictures as a background for your ipod? If not will there be any upgrades that will be available so you can do so?

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on January 8, 2005 at 5:37 PM (CST)

i downloaded a song from puretracks. it was in WMA format. now when i try and put it in itunes it tells me:

files are in the protected WMA format and cannot be converted. itunes can only convert unprotected WMA songs.

does that mean i cant put this song and others on itunes?

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on January 8, 2005 at 6:11 PM (CST)

will there be a new generation of ipod coming out soon? when? and most of all, will they have integrated featuers such as a microphone for voicerecording, a fm radio or even a camera, for the ipod photo? after all other mp3 players supply such features already, the ipod only in form of accessories (spacious and expensieve). i am waiting on pins to find out, please anwer if you know anything…

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on January 8, 2005 at 6:47 PM (CST)

My boyfriend and I both have an ipod.  We would like to be able to share music and audiobooks with one another.  Is there a way to import (or export) using multiple itunes and ipods?

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on January 9, 2005 at 12:25 PM (CST)

Please Help!!!!
I just got a brand new iPod mini (yay) unfortunately my iPod mini is not compatible with my operating system which is Windows ME (sadness).  I called Apple and was told to come here to try to find a driver to get my iPod to work.  I have been browsing through your sight but I cannot seem to find the information I need.  I know there must be a solution – please help me.  PS anyone who can help me to make my iPod work will be my new teen-idol!

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on January 9, 2005 at 4:17 PM (CST)

I just gave my wife my old ipod.  How can I change it’s name to her name?

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on January 9, 2005 at 5:02 PM (CST)

is there a way when using the ipod to play the album a song is from when you are listening to a song. or do you have to go search for it.

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on January 9, 2005 at 7:37 PM (CST)

Does someone know the pinouts of the ipod duck USB? I meen, on witch pin is the power? And how many volts? 5 or 12 volts? And the right and left and sheild. Its all on the USB plug.

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on January 9, 2005 at 8:07 PM (CST)

Does anybody know how to transfer my songs to another computer?

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on January 9, 2005 at 8:55 PM (CST)

I like to know how I can add more capacity to the text feature in the iPod. I put sbout 5 text files in the iPod and it displayed fine. But then when I put in the next 5 files, the first 5 got bumped

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on January 9, 2005 at 11:38 PM (CST)

I have a 10gig 2nd gen ipod.  3 weeks after I bought my ipod(which I love) the 3rd gen came out which offered a larger hard drive for less money + other options.  With that said, I am currently ready to upgrade.  My problem is that I am scared a new ipod will come out by the time I get the 4th gen or the ipod photo.  What are the usual time frames for each gen. ipods and is it worth waiting???

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on January 10, 2005 at 5:16 AM (CST)

I am attempting to transfer songs from my mac formatted ipod to my PC at work. I have downloaded CopyPod and it says that I need 3rd party software that can read the mac ipod format. What software are they refering to?

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on January 10, 2005 at 9:39 AM (CST)

I have an ipod mini. I downloaded an mp3 file to my computer. How do I get it to transfer to my ipod. When I press Copy on Win media player, it says that it is searching for a cd rw. I want to just directly copy it to the ipod. Any suggestions?

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on January 10, 2005 at 10:25 AM (CST)

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on January 10, 2005 at 10:25 AM (CST)