Getting track info using the Internet | iLounge Article

Article

Getting track info using the Internet

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: I am importing CDs on a PC computer running Windows XP, but EVERY SINGLE CD import list comes up WITHOUT the song title, artist name or album title. All I get is Track 01 and no artist or album at all. What am I doing wrong? Have I loaded the software incorrectly or is Windows XP not powerful enough to operate the importing?

- Pete

A:  iTunes gets track information from the Gracenote CD Database, but requires an Internet connection to do so. If you have Internet access, make sure that in the General tab of the iTunes Preferences, Connect to Internet when Needed is checked.

If you have already imported CDs, and have an Internet connection, you can select the tracks in your iTunes library, then select Advanced > Get CD Track Names in iTunes. This should download the track information for most or all of your imported music.

Kirk McElhearn is the author of several books including iPod & iTunes Garage. His blog, Kirkville features articles about the iPod, iTunes, Mac OS X and much more.

The most asked question at iLounge.com:

How do I copy content from my iPod/iPhone onto my computer?

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac)

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Win)

Best Speakers?

Best Headphones?

Best Case?

Best In-Car Solution?

Best Battery Extender?

Find more answers in the latest publications in our Library. Free downloads developed by the editors of iLounge!

Ask iLounge Archives:

1-24-14: Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks

1-22-14: Splitting purchased content between two iPads

12-13-13: Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers

12-11-13: Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone

12-6-13: Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac

Read more recent Ask iLounge articles...

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

« Authorizing/Deauthorizing your computer for iTunes

Software Updater for older 3G iPods »

Comments

Is the mini Ipod compatible with Windows NT?  I tried to download the software and it doesn’t seem to work.  Thx

Posted by caf0877 on January 7, 2005 at 11:13 AM (PDT)

Windows NT doesn’t support USB at all.  Sounds like you need to update your OS, especially since Microsoft ended free support for NT at the end of ‘04.

Posted by jfarrx19 in Pittsburgh, Pa. on January 7, 2005 at 11:44 AM (PDT)

Tim may also need to update his iPod using the latest firmware available at:

A few months ago, Apple updated it’s Digital Rights Management scheme to Fairplay 2.0, which required a new firmware revision for existing iPods.  If Tim hasn’t upgraded his firmware recently, he may not be able to play modern iTunes Music Store files.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on January 7, 2005 at 1:41 PM (PDT)

What do i do if my i pod freezes and i am unable to do anything on it or even turn it on/off?

Posted by King_Phil in Canada on January 7, 2005 at 3:22 PM (PDT)

If your iPod freezes, the best thing is to mail it to me….

Posted by Erik Levi in Manhattan on January 7, 2005 at 5:54 PM (PDT)

Which file or files do I need to copy to make a backup of my cd database in Itunes, to save having to resubmit all my CD’s to CDDB if reinstallation of ITunes is required.

Posted by Buzzbee on January 8, 2005 at 3:44 AM (PDT)

I own a ipod photo and I was wondering if there was anyone you can use one of your pictures as a background for your ipod? If not will there be any upgrades that will be available so you can do so?

Posted by volcom4213 in Kansas on January 8, 2005 at 3:37 PM (PDT)

i downloaded a song from puretracks. it was in WMA format. now when i try and put it in itunes it tells me:

files are in the protected WMA format and cannot be converted. itunes can only convert unprotected WMA songs.

does that mean i cant put this song and others on itunes?

Posted by DeepPurple on January 8, 2005 at 4:11 PM (PDT)

will there be a new generation of ipod coming out soon? when? and most of all, will they have integrated featuers such as a microphone for voicerecording, a fm radio or even a camera, for the ipod photo? after all other mp3 players supply such features already, the ipod only in form of accessories (spacious and expensieve). i am waiting on pins to find out, please anwer if you know anything…

Posted by lolly on January 8, 2005 at 4:47 PM (PDT)

My boyfriend and I both have an ipod.  We would like to be able to share music and audiobooks with one another.  Is there a way to import (or export) using multiple itunes and ipods?

Posted by Leslie A on January 9, 2005 at 10:25 AM (PDT)

Please Help!!!!
I just got a brand new iPod mini (yay) unfortunately my iPod mini is not compatible with my operating system which is Windows ME (sadness).  I called Apple and was told to come here to try to find a driver to get my iPod to work.  I have been browsing through your sight but I cannot seem to find the information I need.  I know there must be a solution – please help me.  PS anyone who can help me to make my iPod work will be my new teen-idol!

Posted by Nancy McMullen on January 9, 2005 at 2:17 PM (PDT)

I just gave my wife my old ipod.  How can I change it’s name to her name?

Posted by gmueller2558 on January 9, 2005 at 3:02 PM (PDT)

is there a way when using the ipod to play the album a song is from when you are listening to a song. or do you have to go search for it.

Posted by mikez on January 9, 2005 at 5:37 PM (PDT)

Does someone know the pinouts of the ipod duck USB? I meen, on witch pin is the power? And how many volts? 5 or 12 volts? And the right and left and sheild. Its all on the USB plug.

Posted by angelito in Québec, Canada on January 9, 2005 at 6:07 PM (PDT)

Does anybody know how to transfer my songs to another computer?

Posted by Arturo Hernandez on January 9, 2005 at 6:55 PM (PDT)

I like to know how I can add more capacity to the text feature in the iPod. I put sbout 5 text files in the iPod and it displayed fine. But then when I put in the next 5 files, the first 5 got bumped

Posted by Edmund on January 9, 2005 at 9:38 PM (PDT)

I have a 10gig 2nd gen ipod.  3 weeks after I bought my ipod(which I love) the 3rd gen came out which offered a larger hard drive for less money + other options.  With that said, I am currently ready to upgrade.  My problem is that I am scared a new ipod will come out by the time I get the 4th gen or the ipod photo.  What are the usual time frames for each gen. ipods and is it worth waiting???

Posted by iJoh in USA on January 10, 2005 at 3:16 AM (PDT)

I am attempting to transfer songs from my mac formatted ipod to my PC at work. I have downloaded CopyPod and it says that I need 3rd party software that can read the mac ipod format. What software are they refering to?

Posted by Jesse Madway on January 10, 2005 at 7:39 AM (PDT)

I have an ipod mini. I downloaded an mp3 file to my computer. How do I get it to transfer to my ipod. When I press Copy on Win media player, it says that it is searching for a cd rw. I want to just directly copy it to the ipod. Any suggestions?

Posted by corivoo in USA on January 10, 2005 at 8:25 AM (PDT)

Posted by corivoo in USA on January 10, 2005 at 8:25 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know how to utilize any of the audiobook features on the mini? Are there any audiobook features? I accidentally ran accross some sort of bookmark feature the other day, but now I can’t find it. I also need to know how to fast forward more quickly without scrubbing. Thanks!

Posted by kimm on January 10, 2005 at 5:58 PM (PDT)

PC with itunes crashed with bad hard drive.  itune library lost.  Is it possible to restore itune library on PC by uploading music collection from my ipod….help

Posted by vling on January 11, 2005 at 12:48 AM (PDT)

Is it normal for the screen to go blue when charging from an ac power sorce through the firewire cable, the screen is un readable, but when in dock charging from laptop, sreen is normal.  Is there any way to fix this…help

Posted by mindi on January 11, 2005 at 3:39 AM (PDT)

Can I back up my music somewhere on Ipodlounge so that I can always have access in case of losing all music?

Posted by isu192000 on January 11, 2005 at 6:49 AM (PDT)

What’s the best way to maximize battery life when playing iPod at my desk - keeping it plugged in (actually on ac power?) or charging it each night and then letting it run on battery each day? I guess the question is - is the ipod battery running down when plugged in?

Posted by podguy on January 11, 2005 at 7:08 AM (PDT)

How can i get songs from my girlfriends itunes library and ve versa without it erasing our own libraries. when i connecto her computer it says this ipod is part of another itunes library do you wish to replace all songs and make this library yours. i click no and then when i right click on the ipod icon and change the preference to manually update or update selected playlists, it wither doesnt work, or erases my library completely and replaces it with hers. i just want a few songs from her library and she wants some from mine. how do we do this.

Posted by markpod on January 11, 2005 at 10:25 PM (PDT)

Posted by markpod on January 11, 2005 at 10:25 PM (PDT)

there are a few songs on my itunes that will not transfer to my ipod haw can i get them on my ipod

Posted by andrykensays on January 12, 2005 at 10:50 AM (PDT)

just ask jeeves…...ipodLounge are busy dealing with MacWorld 2005. come back in February.

ohhh, but how can i make my ipod exclusive to my user account on mac osx, because any1 who uses my computer gets a message asking if they want to replace songs on ‘‘nathans ipod’’ with ones from this libary….?

Posted by >nATHAN in UK on January 12, 2005 at 10:51 AM (PDT)

I just got an ipod 20 gb. for x-mas, and was using my home compuer and laptop for two librarys. But now i don’t know how to merge the two library’s without having to delete one library. After clicking update songs on ipod, a pop-up window comes up saying that to update my ipod, i have to delete one library. How can i update my library????
      Thanks,
        Kat

Posted by hottblondie6750 in Connecticut on January 12, 2005 at 4:29 PM (PDT)

I’d like to download some songs from the FREE DOWNLOADS section, but when I click on them, I get an MP3 player bar and the song plays, but no file is downloaded to my desktop.

How can I download the MP3 file?

Posted by caveman1952 on January 13, 2005 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

How do I get my ipod to relay info about playlists, rankings (etc) to a new computer, new itunes.  can I do it without accessing my old computer?

If I need to deauthorize the old computer, can I do it from my ipod?

Posted by boog in columbus ohio on January 14, 2005 at 6:52 AM (PDT)

So, there’s got to be a way to share music between iPods right? Of coures with all the legal issues involved with music sharing Mac won’t tell you how. What can I do to take music off of a friends 2G iPod and put it into my Library in iTunes so that I can later transfere it to my new 3G iPod? Is it possible or do I need to download from the web? Much thanks to anyone who can help!!!

Posted by iLoungeAlot.1 on January 14, 2005 at 12:50 PM (PDT)

Hello,
I have Windows XP Home Version and installed the FireWirePort card also.  I have a 40GB ipod photo.  The first one I bought I had to return because the songs disappeared completely.  They said it was probably the transmitter.  With my new one, bought from the same store, they have once again disappeared from my ipod, 1100 to be exact.  I was putting it in a box to return this second one and then they magically reappeared.  Also when I plug in the ipod it doesn’t upload the songs automatically.  I have to unplug it and replug it in after the songs are uploaded into itunes.  Yes I have it set on update checked songs automatically.  Any ideas on why this is happening?  I bought both from Future Shop in Canada.  I am thinking it is possessed but am sure there is a better explanation.  Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Posted by conan in Canada on January 14, 2005 at 7:16 PM (PDT)

I have a 3G ipod and a dock for it.  I just ran a monster cable from my receiver to the dock’s line out and tried to play my ipod through the receiver.  While there was some sound it was very scratchy and sounded horrible.  Am I doing something wrong or do 3G ipods not play through docks.  Any help would be great.  Thanks alot.

Posted by Sorcery5 on January 15, 2005 at 8:09 AM (PDT)

Having trouble download newest Itunes with my xp windows.  The download hangs up.  Is it possible to download Itunes from someones computer and burn to cd and then copy onto my computer?

Posted by vds1 in FLORIDA on January 15, 2005 at 9:13 AM (PDT)

Why can’t I transfer music files form my ipod to my computer?

Posted by Christoher in Nebraska on January 15, 2005 at 11:16 AM (PDT)

are there still ipod 3g in the market now???
they should use touch in 4g

Posted by squids in singapore on January 15, 2005 at 8:09 PM (PDT)

are there still ipod 3g in the market now???
they should use touch in 4g

Posted by squids in singapore on January 15, 2005 at 8:09 PM (PDT)

I received a 40 GB for xmas, but my current only has 10GB of availble space, I there a way of loading directly to my Ipod without maxing out my hardrive? I have about half my music collection downloaded. Should I just step up and by a new I book?

Posted by rcbrown on January 15, 2005 at 10:44 PM (PDT)

Hi ive got a 4bg Ipod and i was wondeering if there was or is going to be any downloadable games fro it?                  P.S. i heard dat the next Ipod was going to have downloadable games raspberry

Posted by iB3n in australia on January 16, 2005 at 6:39 AM (PDT)

.......You currently cannot import Real Player files into iTunes directly, but there are separate applications to convert Real One files into formats that the iPod can recognize…..

what are these seperate applications to convert real player into iTunes? im currently trying to transfer 30 music files from real player to iTunes… please help.

Posted by marli in phili on January 16, 2005 at 8:27 AM (PDT)

what are these seperate applications to convert real player into iTunes?

You need somethig like Media Center. Load in the Real files, then go to the menu item Tools->Advanced Tools->Convert Format and convert them into MP3 or AAC.

Then you can sync them with the iPod and they will play back on the iPod.

Posted by Demosthenes on January 16, 2005 at 9:37 AM (PDT)

what is the difference between an HP+ipod and apple ipod? someone please fill me in cause i am very confused at this point. thanks, ipodgirl05.

Posted by ipod_lover14 in new york on January 16, 2005 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

Posted by ipod_lover14 in new york on January 16, 2005 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

Posted by ipod_lover14 in new york on January 16, 2005 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

Is there any way to transfer songs from my ipod back on to my itunes?

Posted by mha on January 16, 2005 at 4:18 PM (PDT)

Does anyone know if there are U2 ipods in China, and it’s price. (price in Canadian if possible) thnx.

Posted by .:Sylvia:. in Canada, Burnaby on January 16, 2005 at 8:01 PM (PDT)

da U2 Ipods r pretty lame just buy a 20gb Ipod and go to this site (which i will say l8r) and buy a U2 Ipod cover for $20 aus

Posted by iB3n in australia on January 17, 2005 at 1:21 AM (PDT)

hae does anyone no if there is downloadable games for the Ipod mini?  P.S. the next generation of Ipods are going to have downloadable games!!! shhhhhhhhh

Posted by iB3n in australia on January 17, 2005 at 1:23 AM (PDT)

are the ipod shuffles better than the minie ipod? Is the extra money worth it forr the minie?

Posted by cat23327 in virginia beach on January 17, 2005 at 6:21 AM (PDT)

hae ive got an iPod mini and i was wonderin if they sold voice recorders for them does anybody no if they do??

Posted by iB3n in australia on January 17, 2005 at 6:38 AM (PDT)

Are there any other products available like the iBoom?  I want a system that will allow me jack in my iPod but also has a FM/AM radio. The review of the iBoom mentions that it does not have an aerial, which doesn’t sound good.

Posted by seoirse in ireland on January 17, 2005 at 8:03 AM (PDT)

I had to reformatt my computer and when I plugged my ipod into it all the songs were deleted off of my ipod, is there a way to get the songs off of my husbads ipod onto mine?  Please help me!

Posted by jgrow in Grants Pass on January 17, 2005 at 3:24 PM (PDT)

I just recently had accidently had my all of my music from my iTunes deleted, but the music is still kinda safe on my iPod. I was wondering if there was a way to get my music from my iPod back onto my iTunes.

Posted by Joethor456 on January 17, 2005 at 6:35 PM (PDT)

Posted by hottblondie6750 in Connecticut on January 18, 2005 at 5:14 PM (PDT)

my ipod wont turn back on after being turned off or on pause for a few minutes…it only turn backs on if i plug it into its charger..ive already tried resetting it but the same problem continues to occur…what do i do?

Posted by lauren12590 in springfield on January 19, 2005 at 4:44 PM (PDT)

Can anyone tell me what size (mm) the earbud jack is on the 40 gb IPOD

Posted by joycemarie in hampton on January 20, 2005 at 5:36 AM (PDT)

a friend and i wish to share music from our ipods and transfer to each others library in itunes building each others library ..how can we do this

Posted by pilates on January 20, 2005 at 12:56 PM (PDT)

How do you re-authorize your computer to your iPod, once you have selected de-authorize computer in the advanced options in the iTunes menu at the top?

Posted by STRANDS on January 20, 2005 at 7:03 PM (PDT)

hi sir
i remember one time the news show me that there are new protecter for 4G ipod’s click wheel and its white colour , i really want to buy it now , but i try many times , i cant find out the articles or the relative topic , would you mind to help me , thanks alot

Posted by HON HING on January 21, 2005 at 5:24 AM (PDT)

I bought an ipod mini and itunes was working perfectly until i had to re-register windows xp. Now when i plug in my ipod, itunes tells me ‘some of the the songs in your library cannot be copied to your ipod because you are not authorized to play them on tis computer’ is there a way of getting round this without losing all my songs?

Posted by Jordan380 in Kilmacolm on January 21, 2005 at 11:03 AM (PDT)

I have an Ipod mini.  I want to use it to download songs both at my home computer and the one i use at work.  But when I hook it up to the 2nd computer, it always exchanges all the songs i downloaded on my home computer for the few I downloaded on the 2nd conmputer.  Is there a way to simply ADD a song, without trading my entire library for it?

Posted by islandgirli in Southampton, NY on January 21, 2005 at 12:16 PM (PDT)

When they refer to the 4g ipod, are they referring to the 20gb ipod that looks just like and came out at the same time and everything??

Posted by priceless on January 21, 2005 at 3:20 PM (PDT)

Hey, anybody have a way to use an iTrip with the Matias iPod armor case? An extension cable which would run from the iPod, through the case, to the iTrip would be great but there doesn’t seem to be such a product available. Any ideas?

Posted by Acmemfg in Florida on January 22, 2005 at 9:24 AM (PDT)

how do u download music from this website????

Posted by snapper on January 22, 2005 at 10:06 AM (PDT)

I need radio/CD capability in addition to playing from my iPod.  What are the pros and cons of connecting the iPod by cable to, say, Sony’s CMT-CPX22 or CMT-HPX9 Micro Systems?

Posted by Slow'n'poor on January 22, 2005 at 10:22 PM (PDT)

can I upload my iPod without removing songs I uploaded on a different computer (which are not in my iTunes library)?? .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by Gadamer on January 23, 2005 at 5:28 AM (PDT)

I am totally new to this world. Price is not my number 1 consideration. Where should I enter becoming an ipod user

Posted by j.vee in usa on January 23, 2005 at 3:31 PM (PDT)

my original ipod charger broke that i got with my ipod. can you buy these from apple? i researched a bit and found nothing.

Posted by miranda on January 23, 2005 at 5:45 PM (PDT)

is there a software for windows formatted ipod that erases al the repeated songs?

Posted by nicocj in Ecuador on January 23, 2005 at 5:48 PM (PDT)

i got an ipod for a gift and it was already downloaded with music.  is there a way i can download the music from my ipod to my computer with out erasing the whole playlist?

Posted by tg on January 23, 2005 at 7:03 PM (PDT)

when i try to play a song on my ipod mini, it starts, pauses, goes to the middle of a different song, plays for about two seconds, stops, and keeps repeating that pattern. does anybody know whats going on?

Posted by sweez in winter springs florida on January 24, 2005 at 3:04 PM (PDT)

How do you burn a cd from songs in your ipod and not in your i tunes? Or how do you put those songs into you itunes on your mac os X?

Posted by Mazza on January 24, 2005 at 4:04 PM (PDT)

Hi
The connection on my white Ipod cable is too small to fit into the USB2 port (or any other port) on my PC.
Is there another connection I am missing that came with the package, or is my PC too old (2000) ?.
Failing this, am I just a fool ?.
I have been able to attach it to a laptop using the smaller connection with no problems.
Cheers, Tom

Posted by bratchops on January 25, 2005 at 4:55 AM (PDT)

Can you upload music from your I-pod to a PC computer.

Posted by ken27 in Canada on January 25, 2005 at 6:16 AM (PDT)

Hi,
My husband just purchased a mini i-pod for me last night.  I am using it for audiobooks only at this time and cannot get my continuous ff or reverse buttons to work.  Actually the ff button will work for a couple of seconds and after it stops, I pick my finger up and it jumps backwards?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Jennifer

Posted by jphelps on January 25, 2005 at 7:30 AM (PDT)

I got a “your playcont file is corrupt - run chkdsk” message from windows XP.  I ran chkdsk, but it had no effect.  What do I need to do? I only get the message when I try to sync my ipod (I store my library on an external hard drive & often upload new music to my c: drive & use “consolidate library” to manage things).

Posted by barnes on January 25, 2005 at 4:55 PM (PDT)

I have a 4th gen 40 gig ipod, I have just bought it and I have only filled 7gigs so far. my freind has about 10gigs worth of music on his mac (I am on windows) but when I plug my ipod into his mac to download his collection it wants to wipe off my collection from the ipod and vice versa. Any way round this?

Posted by papagolf in uk on January 26, 2005 at 12:57 AM (PDT)

Is there a way that I can put the music on my iPod onto iTunes if my computer were to crash?

Posted by chimchim2035 in Stockton, CA on January 26, 2005 at 2:15 PM (PDT)