Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: How do I give a specific App as a gift to another iPhone user? Also, can I control the date the gift is redeemable? For example, can I purchase the Apps now, but keep the recipient from receiving them until Christmas Day?
A: You can purchase individual apps as a gift from either the App Store on your iPhone or from within the iTunes app on your desktop. To purchase a gift from the App Store on your iPhone or iPod touch scroll to the bottom of the app page and you should see a “Gift This App” button immediately below the screenshot section.
From within iTunes on your PC or Mac, simply click the drop-down arrow that appears to the right of the “Buy” button and choose “Gift This App” from the drop-down menu that appears.
When purchasing an app as a gift from your iPhone or iPod touch the gift is sent out via e-mail. Purchasing a gift from iTunes gives you the option to either send the gift out via e-mail or print out a gift card yourself.
There is no way to send a gift at a later date—the e-mail will be sent as soon as the gift is purchased. Note, however, that the e-mail address used for the gift recipient has nothing to do with who can redeem the gift—only the actual gift code matters. This means that you can e-mail a gift to yourself and then simply choose to forward it on to the recipient when you actually want to give the gift. Alternatively, you could just print out the gift notice from iTunes and either physically send it to the person, or print to a PDF that could be sent via e-mail. Further, since only the gift code is important, you could create your own Christmas card or e-card and include the gift code in there for a more personalized and creative touch.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple rolling out ‘Today at Apple’ educational courses starting in May
- Smart home device maker iDevices acquired by Hubbell
- Apple delays ‘Carpool Karaoke’ release to ‘later this year’
- Dutch court rules Apple can’t replace broken iPads with refurbished models
- Chinese blog claims Apple is only releasing two iPhone 8 models, no iPhone 7s or 7s Plus
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3.2, watchOS 3.2.2, and tvOS 10.2.1
- Images claim to show iPhone 8 prototype with glass back, vertical camera
- Apple works on alternative power sources, new uses for waste heat in Denmark data center
- Training documents reveal safety details about Apple’s self-driving car system
- Supply shortfalls of upgraded components may delay iPhone 8 production to October/November
- iDevices Wall Switch
- iDevices Wall Outlet
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartSocket for Apple HomeKit
- Sony MDR-1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
- FiiO i1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter
- Blue Ella Headphones
- Apple iPad (Fifth-Generation)
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10