Got an eBay iPod without anything in box, what do I need?
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just bought a 40 GB iPod from eBay, but all I bought is the iPod. I have iTunes on my Windows computer already, but would like to know what accessories I need to get started.
A: Other than the iPod and iTunes, you’ll need earphones or headphones, as well as a way to connect the iPod to your PC. For the former, you can check the iLounge Buyers’ Guide for our choice of the best earbuds, earphones and headphones for any budget.
To connect your iPod to your PC, you’ll need a special cable. First, you need to know which model you have: if you have a 3G iPod (it has four buttons below the screen, plus a click wheel), it won’t charge via USB. You have two choices: you can get a FireWire card (unless you have built-in FireWire) and a FireWire-Dock Connector cable from Apple, or you can use USB to transfer your songs and buy a separate iPod USB Charger from Apple.
If you have a 4G iPod (it has a single, gray click wheel), then you can charge it via USB, as long your computer has a USB 2.0 port. This is a high-speed USB port that also allows for faster data transfer. If you do have USB 2.0, then you’ll need a USB-Dock Connector cable from Apple.
If your computer only has USB 1, you can still use the iPod, but it won’t charge, and data transfer will be slow. In that case, you’ll need to add a USB 2.0 or FireWire card to your PC, or buy an iPod charger from Apple, and use the USB port for data transfer.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Spotify penalizing artists who release Apple Music exclusives [Update: Spotify responds]
- Apple releases new round of iOS 10 and tvOS 10 betas
- Report: 2017 iPhone to eliminate home button
- Apple to add payment technology to iPhone for transit passes, Apple Pay in Japan
- Apple releases iOS 9.3.5 ‘security update’
- Report: Apple developing its own Snapchat-style social video editing iOS app
- Apple announces Apple Music Festival lineup including Alicia Keys, Britney Spears + more
- Universal calls an end to exclusives amid criticisms that Apple Music is hurting the industry
- Apple reveals some of its upcoming AI advancements for the iPhone
- Apple Music’s royalty rates complicate Spotify’s contract negotiations
- Western Digital My Cloud (OS 3)
- Distil Union Stanley Stand
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected Bluetooth Toothbrush
- Audeze EL-8 Titanium Over-Ear Headphones
- Defined Corp Dome Stand for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Speck StyleFolio Pencil for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Audeze Sine On-Ear Headphone
- First Alert Onelink Wi-Fi Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Logitech Create 9.7” iPad Pro Keyboard Case
- iDevices Outdoor Switch Power Outlet
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app