Got an eBay iPod without anything in box, what do I need?
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just bought a 40 GB iPod from eBay, but all I bought is the iPod. I have iTunes on my Windows computer already, but would like to know what accessories I need to get started.
A: Other than the iPod and iTunes, you’ll need earphones or headphones, as well as a way to connect the iPod to your PC. For the former, you can check the iLounge Buyers’ Guide for our choice of the best earbuds, earphones and headphones for any budget.
To connect your iPod to your PC, you’ll need a special cable. First, you need to know which model you have: if you have a 3G iPod (it has four buttons below the screen, plus a click wheel), it won’t charge via USB. You have two choices: you can get a FireWire card (unless you have built-in FireWire) and a FireWire-Dock Connector cable from Apple, or you can use USB to transfer your songs and buy a separate iPod USB Charger from Apple.
If you have a 4G iPod (it has a single, gray click wheel), then you can charge it via USB, as long your computer has a USB 2.0 port. This is a high-speed USB port that also allows for faster data transfer. If you do have USB 2.0, then you’ll need a USB-Dock Connector cable from Apple.
If your computer only has USB 1, you can still use the iPod, but it won’t charge, and data transfer will be slow. In that case, you’ll need to add a USB 2.0 or FireWire card to your PC, or buy an iPod charger from Apple, and use the USB port for data transfer.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases updated iOS Developer Design Resources
- Apple’s exclusive audiobook deal with Audible ends in Europe following EU antitrust scrutiny
- Nintendo officially announces Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS, coming Feb. 2
- Rumor: Apple working on second-generation Apple Pencil
- GarageBand 2.2 adds Logic Pro X integration, Alchemy synth, Multi-Take Recording
- FTC files complaint against Qualcomm citing royalty deal with Apple
- India mulling manufacturing regulation changes which could woo Apple
- Apple Music creative team discusses the service’s exclusives, future
- Apple raising UK App Store prices by more than 25 percent
- Iovine fuels speculation about Apple’s interest in scripted TV shows
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10