Hard cases for iPhone
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: First I just wanted to say what a great site for anything and everything iPod and iPhone. I have a quick case question for you: I am in the military and work on F-15’s and I need to have my phone on me for emergencies. One day I had to intercept (no kidding) a nose tire from the intakes of a neaby running F-15. Unfortunately, the nose tire smacked the pocket in my uniform’s lower leg and smashed the glass into pieces on my iPhone. Are there any FULL 360-degree hard cases that can prevent this from happening again? A thin film protector that prevents scratches just isn’t going to do it. Any help you guys could give would be great, thanks.
A: At this point the only real practical iPhone-specific options are the Artwizz SeeJacket Crystal (iLounge rating: A-) and Case-Mate Naked Case Version 2 (iLounge rating: B+). Both of these cases provide a full hard plastic shell for the iPhone, covering the screen completely in hard plastic that, quite surprisingly, also passes control through to the touch screen while offering a reasonable level of protection.
Unfortunately, being plastic these will likely not withstand heavy concussive forces, but are definitely a better option than the iPhone’s glass alone.
Another option you may want to consider is the Metallo Design Gilty Couture Chromium Case (iLounge rating: B), which claims to be teh hardest case on the planet. While this does not provide any screen protection, it would likely do a better job of absorbing an impact on other parts of the iPhone.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple to provide more unified TV experience with new ‘TV’ app for Apple TV
- Elgato announces HomeKit-enabled Eve Light Switch
- Apple delays AirPods release
- Report: iPhone 8 likely to come in three glass-backed sizes
- Report: New Apple TV app to provide show recommendations
- Apple’s German website adds Apple Pay support page, but still no launch
- Notes from Apple’s Q4 2016 earnings call
- Apple Q4 2016: $46.9B revenue, 45.5M iPhones + 9.2M iPads sold
- Apple reportedly hiring engineers from BlackBerry, developing car operating system in Canada
- Apple releases PowerBeats3 Wireless earphones
- Creative iRoar Go Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Bowers & Wilkins P3 Series 2 Headphones
- Incase Icon, Pop, and Textured Snap for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Philips Hue Motion Sensor
- Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature Headphones
- Tech Armor FlexProtect and Shock Flex for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- SwitchEasy Flash and Fleur for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Blue Microphones Raspberry Mobile Microphone
- Incipio Haven for iPhone 7 and Reprieve Sport for iPhone 7 Plus
- Mophie Hold Force Magnetic Case System for iPhone 7
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps