Hard cases for iPhone
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: First I just wanted to say what a great site for anything and everything iPod and iPhone. I have a quick case question for you: I am in the military and work on F-15’s and I need to have my phone on me for emergencies. One day I had to intercept (no kidding) a nose tire from the intakes of a neaby running F-15. Unfortunately, the nose tire smacked the pocket in my uniform’s lower leg and smashed the glass into pieces on my iPhone. Are there any FULL 360-degree hard cases that can prevent this from happening again? A thin film protector that prevents scratches just isn’t going to do it. Any help you guys could give would be great, thanks.
A: At this point the only real practical iPhone-specific options are the Artwizz SeeJacket Crystal (iLounge rating: A-) and Case-Mate Naked Case Version 2 (iLounge rating: B+). Both of these cases provide a full hard plastic shell for the iPhone, covering the screen completely in hard plastic that, quite surprisingly, also passes control through to the touch screen while offering a reasonable level of protection.
Unfortunately, being plastic these will likely not withstand heavy concussive forces, but are definitely a better option than the iPhone’s glass alone.
Another option you may want to consider is the Metallo Design Gilty Couture Chromium Case (iLounge rating: B), which claims to be teh hardest case on the planet. While this does not provide any screen protection, it would likely do a better job of absorbing an impact on other parts of the iPhone.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple’s new ‘Echo rival’ may feature a camera
- Apple ‘working rapidly’ to extend Apple Pay to more countries
- Report: Apple’s Siri-based Amazon Echo competitor will be a new Apple TV
- Report: Apple SVP Eddy Cue proposed bid to buy Time Warner
- Beta testing for Pokémon GO begins in the U.S.
- Apple’s plan to open stores in India hits a snag (Update: India’s finance minister ratifies ruling)
- Apple looking into charging stations for electric cars
- Apple hires hint at improvements in encryption, health monitoring
- Hyundai adds CarPlay support to more vehicles
- Plaintiffs file new motion to keep ‘Error 53’ Touch ID lawsuit alive
- OtterBox Symmetry Series Hybrid Case for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Logitech Logi BASE Charging Stand for iPad Pro
- Twelve South TimePorter for Apple Watch
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)