Hard cases for iPhone
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: First I just wanted to say what a great site for anything and everything iPod and iPhone. I have a quick case question for you: I am in the military and work on F-15’s and I need to have my phone on me for emergencies. One day I had to intercept (no kidding) a nose tire from the intakes of a neaby running F-15. Unfortunately, the nose tire smacked the pocket in my uniform’s lower leg and smashed the glass into pieces on my iPhone. Are there any FULL 360-degree hard cases that can prevent this from happening again? A thin film protector that prevents scratches just isn’t going to do it. Any help you guys could give would be great, thanks.
A: At this point the only real practical iPhone-specific options are the Artwizz SeeJacket Crystal (iLounge rating: A-) and Case-Mate Naked Case Version 2 (iLounge rating: B+). Both of these cases provide a full hard plastic shell for the iPhone, covering the screen completely in hard plastic that, quite surprisingly, also passes control through to the touch screen while offering a reasonable level of protection.
Unfortunately, being plastic these will likely not withstand heavy concussive forces, but are definitely a better option than the iPhone’s glass alone.
Another option you may want to consider is the Metallo Design Gilty Couture Chromium Case (iLounge rating: B), which claims to be teh hardest case on the planet. While this does not provide any screen protection, it would likely do a better job of absorbing an impact on other parts of the iPhone.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: EU to rule against Apple-Ireland tax deals, recommend Apple pay 1B+ Euros
- Apple sued over unresponsive iPhone 6/6 Plus touchscreen issues
- Apple announces Sept. 7 event
- Philips introduces Hue Motion Sensor
- Photos hint at improved battery for new Apple Watch
- Spotify penalizing artists who release Apple Music exclusives [Update: Spotify responds]
- Apple releases new round of iOS 10 and tvOS 10 betas
- Report: 2017 iPhone to eliminate home button
- Apple to add payment technology to iPhone for transit passes, Apple Pay in Japan
- Apple releases iOS 9.3.5 ‘security update’
- Western Digital My Cloud (OS 3)
- Distil Union Stanley Stand
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected Bluetooth Toothbrush
- Audeze EL-8 Titanium Over-Ear Headphones
- Defined Corp Dome Stand for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Speck StyleFolio Pencil for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Audeze Sine On-Ear Headphone
- First Alert Onelink Wi-Fi Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Logitech Create 9.7” iPad Pro Keyboard Case
- iDevices Outdoor Switch Power Outlet
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app