How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: The new Handoff feature is a cool idea, as I’m one of those guys who’s always flipping between my iMac and my iPhone. Going from my iPhone to my Mac seems super easy — the icon just shows up by the Dock and I click it. However, on my iPhone I don’t see the Handoff icon appear unless the iPhone is at the lock screen, so it’s not so easy going the other way. Is something broken here, or did Apple really intend for us to have to re-lock our iPhones and re-enter our passwords every time we want to hand a page off? Is this a security thing? It just seems so confusing for a feature that is otherwise supposed to “just work.”
A: You’re correct that the Handoff icon won’t appear anywhere on your iPhone home screen, probably an intentional design decision because there’s really no room for it, and overlaying it would risk having it get in the way when you’re using your iPhone and you don’t want to actually hand something off. The good news, however, is that you can access something being handed off without having to return to the lock screen. Simply bring up the App Switcher by double-clicking the Home button, and then swipe to the very left of the Home screen.
Here you should see a blank page with the icon of the app being handed off from your Mac or other iOS device, and the name of the device that it’s coming from. Simply tap anywhere on that blank screen to load the handed off app. Keep in mind that like the Handoff icons on your Mac and iPhone lock screen, this page only appears if there’s something available for Handoff.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report confirms legitimacy of at least some of the stolen iCloud credentials being held for ransom
- New (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone SE, and 9.7” iPad now available to order
- Apple Store down again ahead of new iPad, Product(RED) iPhone launch
- Apple acquires automation app Workflow
- Nintendo updates Super Mario Run, makes more courses available for free play
- Apple confirms iCloud and Apple ID systems have not been breached in response to hacker threat
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10