How to burn a CD in iTunes | iLounge Article

Article

How to burn a CD in iTunes

iTunes is great for playing your tunes on the computer, and the iPod is the undisputed champion of playing personal on-the-go music.  However, none of us can fully escape the need for “old-fashioned” CDs every once and awhile—we use them to listen through other devices, share with friends, and backup our music collections.  iTunes can help.

Configuration:

To get started, you first need to select the type of CD you would like to burn.  Go to iTunes preferences and select the burning tab.

pic

Choose your burning format according to your purpose as shown below:

pic

The following is further detail about the three burning options:

1. Audio CD:  This is your standard CD.  Its main advantage is that audio data is written in a format that is readable by virtually any audio CD player.  As one can expect, however, you can only fit 74 minutes of audio using this option.
  2. MP3 CD:  This option burns a playlist to a CD, copying the files as MP3 files, rather than audio tracks.  If there are any AAC or Protected AAC files in the specified playlist, they will not be included on the CD.  This is advantageous for burning CDs for use in MP3-capable portable CD players or MP3-capable car stereo CD players, because these devices do not presently support AAC.
  3. Data CD or DVD:  In a data CD or DVD, *all* songs in a playlist, regardless of file type, are burned.  This option is the best to choose for a backup for two reasons.  First, all of your songs - including AAC and iTunes Music Store Protected AAC files - will be backed up.  Second, the “Data” option allows you to burn to a DVD-R disc, which holds approximately 5 times as much data per disc (DVD burner or Superdrive required).

Once you have selected a format, click “OK” to return to the main iTunes window.

Process:

iTunes creates CDs from playlists.  In previous iPod 101 segments, we learned to create both Manual and Smart playlists.  Either type will work for burning CDs.

For Audio CDs, you will most likely want to keep an eye on how large the playlist is in order to ensure that it will fit on one 74-minute CD-R disc.  If you wish to burn more than one CD-worth of songs (for example, for a full-library backup) you can still use a playlist larger than the CD-R or DVD-R’s capacity, as iTunes will ask you if you would like to automatically span your playlist across several discs.

Begin by highlighting a playlist in the source column that you wish to burn.  A covered “Burn” button will appear in the top right corner of the iTunes window.

pic

Press the burn button, and the “Safety Cover” opens as iTunes prompts you to insert a blank disc.  Your CD tray will open.

pic

Insert a blank disc.  iTunes will check the disc that you have inserted, and prompt you to confirm your intent to burn by clicking the “Burn” button once more. iTunes will now begin the burn.

pic

When the burn is complete, you will see a CD icon appear in your “Source” column with the same name as the playlist from which it was created.  Congratulations!  Your CD is complete.  Press the “Eject” button in the bottom-right corner of your screen to eject your CD.

pic

pic

Notes and Tips:

1. Use smart playlists to facilitate a “rolling” backup of your library.  First burn your entire existing library.  For the future, create a smart playlist where “Date Added is after [The date of your backup].”  Each time you burn this incremental backup, change the date in the smart playlist to reflect the current date.  You can also add a criteria where “Date Modified is after [date of last backup]” as well, to ensure that audio files that have *changed* are also preserved.
  2. It is a good idea, even if you don’t feel like backing up all of your music, to back up your “Purchased Music” playlist regularly, as iTunes Music Store tracks cannot be re-downloaded if you were to lose them.  The “Purchased Music” playlist is just like any other, so you can easily select it and click the burn icon to burn a backup (use “Data” mode, of course).
  3. If you wish to reproduce an album that does not have gaps of silence in between tracks (i.e. Pink Floyd’s The Wall), iTunes can do so.  In the main burning preference window, select Audio CD, and change the “Gap between Songs” setting to “None.”
  4. Share your own in the comments below!

Have fun burning CDs!!

Stay tuned for further iPod 101 iTunes Tutorials!

Jerrod H. is a Forum Administrator and Contributing Editor for iLounge.

« Future Pods

The iPod mini Reaction Roundup »

Comments

If only it were that simple.  A huge number of Windows users have never been able to burn a cd with iTunes.  And Apple has yet to address the issue.

Check out this thread in the Apple discussion forums for more info.

Posted by Jake on January 29, 2004 at 11:19 AM (CST)

Your article on how to burn with iTunes was great and had no problems burning with it after reading it. The problem I encountered was getting a slight gap between songs. Not a 2 second or even 1 second gap, but like a little glitch between tracks. I have my files saved at 128kbps in AAC.
I thought at first it just maybe iTunes that has the tiniest of gaps between tracks, but when I burn the tracks under Nero, my other burning sofware, there is the smallest of glitches between tracks as well. I have burned other CDs using Nero and all the tracks seem to flow as it were one big track, but not when importing songs from iTunes.
Also when I play my iPod there is the smallest little gaps between songs. Is there anyway to get rid of this as well? I listen to a lot of live shows so when there are gaps it gets really annoying.
Just a note: I have imported all of my songs onto my iPod using iTunes. Is there something about iTunes that has a problem flowing tracks seemlessly together?And if so is Apple in the works to fix it? Is it just AAC that does this? A certain AAC speed? Am I doing something wrong? Sorry for all the questions just want to be able to fix it.

Thanks,
Brian

Posted by Brian on January 31, 2004 at 2:05 PM (CST)

I believe that *tiny* gaps in MP3/AAC is an unavoidable consequence of the encoding process.  Check out this link for further explanation:

BTW, the following won’t help when listening on the iPod or on burned CDs, but when listening in iTunes, you can turn on “Crossfading.”

If the gaps are more important to you than the ability to select a certain track, then when you import, select “Join Tracks” to rip the entire album to one continuous track.  That’s about all you can do for now.

-Jerrod Hofferth

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on February 1, 2004 at 3:11 PM (CST)

I just burned my first CD from iTunes.  I was successful, however, when the Cd was burned it put all of the songs in random order.

How can I get the playlist to burn the CD EXACTLY in the order the songs are listed?

I would really appreciate some help on this, tried numbering tracks etc and nothing seemed to work.  I never had this problem with MusicMatch.

Posted by Suzi Hellwege on February 6, 2004 at 11:47 AM (CST)

Make sure that while you are arranging your playlist, the SHUFFLE button is OFF.  (Bottom right of the window).

Then arrange your songs properly, and burn the CD with SHUFFLE OFF still.

Hope that helps.

-Jerrod Hofferth

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on February 7, 2004 at 11:08 AM (CST)

I found this very interesting, hope it is helpful

a way to, among other things, keep itues always on top

Posted by jperacha in London, UK on February 9, 2004 at 7:57 AM (CST)

I am having a frustrating time with Itunes! It is being very unpredicatble in the way it burns cds as it often aborts the burn by displaying “cancelling cd burn” and stopping before it has completed! any ideas?

Posted by Amerjote Bansal on February 9, 2004 at 4:14 PM (CST)

Since moving to the latest itunes v4.2 (wth AAC) encoding I have been unable to get my Irock Ibling to recognise MP3 CDs made from iTunes.  I have tried everything - altering the preferences, burning from the Finder etc. The genius bar Apple people suggested I bring my entire system to their store or try Toast.  Even the Ibling people could not help.  Has any had a similar problem.  Can anyone help ?  If you need more info about my problem, let me know

Posted by Asgar Ali on February 9, 2004 at 7:37 PM (CST)

Asgar Ali—

The explanation of your problem is simple:

The iRock BLiNG CD/MP3 Player (and all CD/MP3 players that I’m aware of) does not support AAC encoding.  You will need to import to MP3 in order for the files to be readable by your CD/MP3 Player.

Alternatively, if you can convert your entire iTunes library back to MP3 from within iTunes by doing the following:

1)  In Preferences, change your Import settings to MP3.

2)  In the Library, select any songs you’d like converted.

3)  Right Click (Or CTRL-Click on a Mac) and select “Convert Selection to MP3.”

Posted by azdude_15gb on February 10, 2004 at 3:13 PM (CST)

Nice article, thanks!

Quick, possibly stupid question: I have everything in iTunes in AAC.  If I burn a playlist to “Audio CD,” will standard CD players be able to read it?

Posted by Bill S on February 11, 2004 at 2:35 PM (CST)

My car stereo plays MP3’s from data discs, and browses by folders as well as files— If I want to burn multiple folders [or playlists] of MP3’s using the iTunes burner, how can i distinguish them???

Posted by Ian Anderson on February 12, 2004 at 5:17 PM (CST)

BillS—

Absolutely!

Ian—

That I’m not sure about.  The way iTunes has burning set up, you burn *a playlist*.  Therefore, iTunes won’t really burn playlists-within-playlists, per say.

Besides, MP3 players will typically use “M3U” format playlists, which iTunes does not utilize at all.

Sorry… Better for you to use Nero or a similar program, for that purpose.  :-D

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on February 12, 2004 at 9:18 PM (CST)

Can you put an album directly onto an iPod from a CD?
thanx

Posted by michael meagher on February 14, 2004 at 10:26 PM (CST)

hey

Posted by john 2 on February 15, 2004 at 8:32 PM (CST)

What is the best way to transfer cassettes into iTunes?
Any information is appreciated!

Posted by Evie on February 16, 2004 at 2:58 AM (CST)

Michael—No.  You need to first import the CD and then transfer it using either Manual or AutoSync modes.  If you choose Manual Sync mode, you can choose to delete the CD from your computer after it is transferred to your iPod.

Evie—

You’ll need to record the audio from the cassettes into your computer—in real time using a Line Out—> Line In connection.  There is software available that can do this… the simplest method on Windows is likely to buy Windows XP Plus! Digital Media Edition, which comes with tools to help you out.

Posted by azdude_15gb on February 16, 2004 at 11:13 AM (CST)

When I try to burn a disk (using W2K) to my external CDRW, I get the prompt to insert blank media. Even when I use new blank media, iTunes never recognizes it and ejects.

The drive I use (Philips) is recognized by iTunes and I can use it to upload to program.

Any ideas?

Posted by robert on February 17, 2004 at 12:03 PM (CST)

Eat Beef, Ipod people!

Posted by Paad Abdul on February 17, 2004 at 9:23 PM (CST)

I’ve used 3 different blank CD brands in attempts to burn CD’s from Itunes, and each time the first song plays, and the rest ‘skip’.  On another brand of disk it didn’t.  Is this an Itunes/blank CD compatibility problem or can I change the burn settings so it burns on ALL CD’S?  I know the easy answer is used the CD’s that work, but I have 3 spools of 100 blank CD’s I paid for and can’t use with Itunes.  Any advice?

Posted by Marc on February 18, 2004 at 2:15 PM (CST)

I am searching for a tool printing a CD Cover after burning a playlist. The Itunes export gives me a lot of useless information and i have to work about 15 minutes for every playlist cover.

Any Ideas?

I am used to the NERO CD cover designer which works simple and good.

Posted by Jakob on February 20, 2004 at 6:32 AM (CST)

Jakob iTunes exports an XML Format.. it shouldn’t be too hard to convert it into something useful. Try SourceForge.

The only problem I have with iTunes backing up is that it won’t back up in… ‘folder mode’. If you look at your library all the music is nicely organized and each artist has a folder and album. If you ‘back-up’ using iTunes to burn all you get ais a giant collection of MP3s. If there was an option to ‘burn as folders’ or something. iTunes backing up would be.. snapezleous.

Posted by Julian on February 27, 2004 at 1:33 PM (CST)

carnwolf@ ‘warm’ mail.com

Posted by Julian on February 27, 2004 at 1:35 PM (CST)

I’m trying to create a playlist on iTunes, but am having trouble creating a playlist containing songs I have removed from my PC harddrive.

Do all of the songs in the playlist have to be on the PC hardrive? I’ve manually removed most of my music from my computer, but kept it all in my iTunes library to keep it on my iPod.

I hope I’m still able to use this feature.  Anyone have some advice?

Posted by Brandon on March 4, 2004 at 6:13 PM (CST)

Apple really did its best to complicate burning cd’s:

1. When highlighting a playlist, no “burn” button appears.

2. You cannot burn from your library. When you have more songs in your library than on your ipod (as I have), you have to move them to a playlist first.

3. The stupid AAC format is not recognized by my burning software that is installed on my computer. Does anybody know a burning program that supports AAC?

Posted by GB on March 12, 2004 at 1:21 AM (CST)

Quick, but frustrating?

For some reason my “Join Cd Tracks” is greyed out when I try to use it when importing CDs. This function seems to come and go?

Any ideas?

THX,

MT

Posted by Metal Tim on March 19, 2004 at 2:24 PM (CST)

Is there any way of including CD Text (CD Title, Artist Title, song names) when burning from iTunes?
All my CD players have CD Text function and it’s quite a basic feature on Nero.
Considering all the disc info is in iTunes already I presume it’s possible but I can’t work out how.
Help would be appreciated

Posted by Nathan down under on April 17, 2004 at 8:44 PM (CDT)

Not all at once now…..

Posted by Nathan down under on May 30, 2004 at 12:47 AM (CDT)

I tried to burn some CDs this weekend from Itunes and haven’t had much luck. The first one came out fine, but I’ve tried a number of times since and it seems like nothing is actually making it on to the disk. It goes through the process, like it’s burning and then when it’s done I get the message that I have a blank disk in - meaning it actually hasn’t put anything on the disk afterall! HELP.

Posted by heather on May 30, 2004 at 1:41 PM (CDT)

i burn plenty of cd’s, itunes windows, it’s so EASY

Posted by kespodder in BG, OH on June 12, 2004 at 5:21 PM (CDT)

I have an Audible book downloaded in two parts, each about 8 hours. How would I go about burning these so as to span however many CDs that would be? Can iTunes split the files and then burn them?

Posted by Dov on June 28, 2004 at 7:52 AM (CDT)

HELP!!!!! Does anyone know a way to import multiple playlists from Musicmatch to ITunes. I have 1600 playlists and it is killing me importing them into ITunes one at a time.

Posted by kaisa on July 31, 2004 at 1:12 PM (CDT)

I’ve been trying to burn my playlists to data DVD/CD so that I can back up all my music.  I’ve followed the directions you give to do so, but don’t get the “Burn” icon, nor does my DVD/CD drawer open.  Could you please tell me if there is an alternate way to do this, or if I can copy from iTunes to MusicMatch, then back up.  Thanks.

Posted by jay on July 31, 2004 at 5:13 PM (CDT)

hey everybody:

I have a huge question for all of you ipod masters.  I have all my music stored in my ipod and I just bought a new computer. I would like to transfer all the music that I have in my ipod to my computer in order to have a backup just in case anything happens. What do I have to do?  I´ve been trying to drag the folders in my ipod to my library but itunes doesn´t let me, I also tried to burn cd´s directly from my Ipod and it doesn´t work.  ANY IDEAS…..PLLLLEEEEEAAAASEEEE !!!!
THANK YOU ALL!!!

Posted by NACHO on August 24, 2004 at 5:41 PM (CDT)

How can i burn a disc of some music that is on my ipod. i recently bought a new computer and some old music isn’t on this new one. I bought ipodripit, but it doesn’t seem to do anything. Help Please!

Posted by soonerbrown on September 7, 2004 at 9:37 PM (CDT)

um, how do I get the burn icon to appear?  I have the browsing “eye” up there now.  I did go into preferences, but nothing seems to work.  thanks.

Posted by Kristin on September 9, 2004 at 7:46 PM (CDT)

one question: which is the difference between a data cd full of mp3s and a mp3 cd? thx

Posted by matteo on September 16, 2004 at 8:40 AM (CDT)

Back to gaps—I bought an album at the iTunes store, and am getting the tiny gaps between songs if I try to burn to CD, even when I select no gaps in the burning preferences. I am not allowed to select the “Join tracks” feature, however—any way around that?

Posted by Doug on September 30, 2004 at 12:44 PM (CDT)

I can’t seem to transfer any of my new music from my library to my ipod…just started happening…it only transfers music that has been in my library for awhile…any ideas? I have authorized all of my music and have updated to the latest version of itunes.

Posted by Stephanie on October 3, 2004 at 7:24 PM (CDT)

I am tryin to convert my library from aac to mp3, but the files I have purchased from itunes will not convert and bring up and error stating that they are protected.  Are these files convertable…...

Posted by Warren on October 11, 2004 at 11:36 PM (CDT)

Question from a novice to the masters:

I am uploading all of my CDs into my iTunes software/directory.  I occasionally need to then burn one of these CDs back onto another disc.  For example, I just bought the new Interpol, put it on iTunes but now need to burn a copy for my boyfriend.  I want/need to burn it from the iTunes directory because I have no other burning software.  Can I do this?  Thanks.

Posted by danielle miller on October 16, 2004 at 8:52 PM (CDT)

I am also trying to convert the files that I purchased from Itunes from AAC to MP3 but I get an error message stating that the files are protected. Help!

Posted by SoonerBookman in Oklahoma City, OK on November 27, 2004 at 9:55 PM (CST)

hey everybody:

I have a huge question for all of you ipod masters. I have all my music stored in my ipod and I just bought a new computer. I would like to transfer all the music that I have in my ipod to my computer in order to have a backup just in case anything happens. What do I have to do? I´ve been trying to drag the folders in my ipod to my library but itunes doesn´t let me, I also tried to burn cd´s directly from my Ipod and it doesn´t work. ANY IDEAS…..PLLLLEEEEEAAAASEEEE !!!!
THANK YOU ALL!!!

By NACHO on Aug 24, 04 4:41 pm

Posted by skocchi on December 14, 2004 at 8:37 AM (CST)

I had my laptop fixed because it had a virus, and ever since i got it back, it has had problems burning cds. Each time i try to burn a cd, it skips the first few seconds of every song. i want to make a holiday cds for my friends for christmas but my computer won’t let me. please help asap

Posted by ALNJan6 in USA on December 15, 2004 at 2:09 PM (CST)

I can’t burn CDRs (it seems to work with CDRW) with iTunes, in fact since I installed iTunes my realplayer is no longer able to burn. iTunes simply prepares the CD and then ends the orperation with a 4900 unknon error message. Any ideas?

Thanks

Tom

Posted by tomb in Guernsey on December 30, 2004 at 7:23 AM (CST)

Hhmm. Can anyone else hear growly/squeaky noises at the end of tracks burned from AAC to CD in iTunes for PC?
What can I do?

Posted by John Behan in UK on February 8, 2005 at 7:49 AM (CST)

I burn my cd in iTunes…it will play in my computer…home DVD player…but when I put it in my car/s cd player…I get “check CD” ..what’s up with this…I tried to change the format(all songs were downloaded from iTunes)..and it says the are protected….HELP PLEASE..WIFE MAD!

Posted by mikey58 on February 24, 2005 at 5:43 PM (CST)

mike58…
i have the same problem with my in-home stereo CD player. It wont read the burned cd. (Though it plays fine on all computer CD drives)
gbalt

Posted by gbalt in Mass on March 5, 2005 at 6:17 PM (CST)

Hi!
I’m having a problem with my iPod. I’m fine burning songs onto it from CDs and such, but everything I buy from Itunes I am unable to put on! I’ve tried dragging it from every section, and even if the songs are with other songs (from CDs) it will put everything BUT the purchased ones on.  This seems a little in reverse…Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I’m getting turned off buying songs from I tunes pretty quick.

Posted by Insomniacmeg in Maine on March 11, 2005 at 11:07 PM (CST)

Help!
I successfully burn cds from my playlist but when playing back on my car stereo they will play the first selection and than freeze. My home stereo simply says NO CD and moves on. Whats the problem?

Posted by rfink in Vermont on March 15, 2005 at 4:19 PM (CST)

Posted by ahottie81 in Minier on March 16, 2005 at 6:17 PM (CST)

I’m having a confusing *at least to me* problem. I am trying to burn some discs on my laptop to transfer to another computer, and I’m having trouble getting all the songs on my playlist to burn to the disc. All the songs are checked, and all are authorized. They play when clicked on, nothing I can tell wrong with them. When I’m trying to burn a CD with 80 min. available on it, and the playlist has 18 songs, 65 min worth on it, it shows up as having only 9 songs, 33 minutes or something to that effect. I can’t figure out how to get all the songs on my playlist to burn to disc. Converting them to AAC doesn’t seem to do the trick either. Please help!

Posted by Elisabeth1118 on June 21, 2005 at 8:30 PM (CDT)

I am also having problems playing cd’s I’ve burned from itunes on my car cd player but they play fine on the computer… Please help!! >>

Car stereo’s are finicky.  Try burning at a slower speed (Mine will usually only take 4x).  Also try a different brand of CD’s.  Mine likes Verbatim.  All these will factor in.

Carol Van

Posted by sadievan on June 24, 2005 at 10:48 AM (CDT)

HI
I Just downloaded 3 songs from itunes that I am trying to burn to a CD-rw.  Like most of the posts above, I too am having some trouble.

I click the Burn CD button and then get the following message:

Posted by show2n on December 18, 2005 at 2:52 PM (CST)

Compared to many others, my problems in burning cds seem minor but annoying nonetheless. Burned CDs play OK, but my CD players (hifi, car, portable) do not recognise the track gaps. They get the count of tracks correct, but counter changes from track 1 to track 2 10seconds or more after track 2 starts playing, and so on at varying intervals through the CD. Also, on the car CD player, its function to go back and play again from the start of the CD when it has finished playing doesn’t work on burned CDs, it just hunts around spinning at the end of the CD.

Posted by browgk on December 21, 2005 at 8:22 AM (CST)

hey guys.. uh i was wondering, does any of you guys know how to convert your ACC files back to Mp3 files and back again?
Q. Rey

Posted by Q-REY on December 26, 2005 at 9:28 PM (CST)

Please, please tell me how to make the CD’s I burn from my itunes playlist work on the CD player in my car.  No matter what I try, I can’t make it happen.  So frustrated

Posted by nancyann on March 19, 2006 at 1:02 PM (CST)

my burn icon doesnt appear when i click a playlist

Posted by Nickschic_07 on April 19, 2006 at 6:09 PM (CDT)

Does anyone ever answer these questions?  Is this the wrong place to ask…should they be posted in the forum instead?

I, like Nathan down under (comment #26), would like to know how to get CDs burned in iTunes to include the track info-artist, song title, etc.  Anyone?

Posted by msrealdoll on April 20, 2006 at 1:11 AM (CDT)

Everytime I attempt to burn a CD, it will burn it but than say finishing CD forever, I will have to close out the program, and it results in the last few songs on the CD to be choppy, whats up?

Posted by seangiants on June 21, 2007 at 6:56 PM (CDT)

Okay the new version of iTunes is a little different.

Properties > Advanced

Click on the Burning Tab
Follow instructions on this page
to set up burning options

Make a playlist with the stuff you want to burn.

Select the playlist

Go To File

Click on Burn Playlist to Disc

Disc tray opens and burning starts

Thankyou iTunes 7.5.0.20

Posted by qaak on November 28, 2007 at 12:18 AM (CST)

Your article was awesome!  Very clear and concise!  I didn’t experience any difficulties while burning my playlists and the quality is outstanding!

Posted by manders47229 on January 20, 2008 at 10:45 PM (CST)

itune mp3 burner cant burn songs not in mp3 files.i converted songs into mp3 format, still nothing happens.what will i do? pls. help

Posted by ethel on February 2, 2008 at 8:55 PM (CST)

I’ve tried everything I know to get iTunes to burn a CD.  I get the playlist all set up, adjust the preferences, click on burn, then it opens the CD tray, I put a blank CD-R in, then iTunes says it’s ‘Checking Media’ which it does for a few seconds, then it just stops - no error message or anything.  The little window that says ‘checking media’ just goes back to the apple symbol and nothing happens.  It’s really annoying because Windows Media Player burns music really simply - but it won’t recognise some apple formats.

Posted by Beery on March 29, 2008 at 6:41 PM (CDT)

when i try to burn a cd with itunes, it says “disc burner software not found”... i DO have a burner, ive burnt cds with windows media player, but its crap cos for some reason it doesnt burn al the tunes (tells me about some codec crap) anyway, is there any way of telling itunes to stop fooling around and recognize my burning software

Posted by pete on April 29, 2008 at 12:55 PM (CDT)

I am having the same problem…when I try to burn CD’s it says “checking media” for a while then goes back to what it was doing and doesnt burna nything.  I can’t even get media player to extract the songs so Ic an burnt hem that way.  Please help, this is driving me crazy !

Posted by vicki on May 23, 2008 at 12:31 PM (CDT)

I’ve been burning through itunes for 2 years now with no problems, until now it keeps coming up DISC BURNER or SOFTWARE NOT FOUND Dose anyone know how to get around this? I think i’m going MAD.

Posted by Steve on May 24, 2008 at 11:17 AM (CDT)

I have a tried for the first time to burn a CD through iTunes on my Toshiba laptop (Windows Vista) purchased Dec 2007.

Every time iTunes initially shows ‘burning’ but then ejects the CD with a message: “The attempt to burn a disk failed. An unknown error occurred (2131)”. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Posted by Mike Landes on June 13, 2008 at 8:39 AM (CDT)

I was getting the 2131 error message too. I updated the drivers today for my dvd/cd burner and no more problems. I bought my Dell laptop in November 2007.

Posted by Tim on June 13, 2008 at 9:21 PM (CDT)

Hey, I still can’t geth song name, artist name test to appear on the CD when I burn it. Popped that cd into a different computer with iTunes on it and it is just Track 1, Track 2, etc. Comes up the same in windows media player.

Posted by tim on June 13, 2008 at 9:24 PM (CDT)

Hello,
I’m having trouble trying to transfer music from my ipod into my library. I got all of my songs from a friend’s computer.
When i try to burn a playlist I can’t…in the file menu ‘burn playlist to disc’ cannot be selected…i hope this makes sense and someone can help!

Posted by moonchucka on June 14, 2008 at 8:18 AM (CDT)

for me is really simple…...i just create a playlist, left-clik it and select burn playlist to disk. i dont have to do all that ^^

Posted by Lorena Leon on June 14, 2008 at 9:53 AM (CDT)

My wife asked me if I could make her a CD for her car of the songs she liked on my iPod/Itunes.  I figured you probably couldn’t do it - but I do what I always do - I Googled it - and the first listing was for this forum.  I read the first few entries, created a playlist, highlighted it, clicked on the “burn” tab (in my case it’s on the bottom right of iTunes - and 10 minutes later she has a CD that works fine in her car!

Thanks to those of you that have all this knowledge and share it with us!!!

Posted by Brian on June 25, 2008 at 6:41 PM (CDT)

Hi,
i followed the steps in the article and can burn my playlist fine but when i reinsert the cd it is no longer names and the tracks are numbered. how do I get the album & artist name to transfer?

Posted by Sarah on July 15, 2008 at 1:52 PM (CDT)

hi everyone. i was wondering if anyone could help me with this issue i,m having with itunes. when your burning songs in itunes, it prompts you to put a blank cd into the tray, so i put a disc in that has just one measley song on it(cause i hate waste), it prompts me again & says you have to put a blank cd in the tray.  i would like to know how do i put more than one song on my cd, it seems such a waist of space & time if you have to put a brand new cd in, every time you want to back-up singular music to a disc.  can anyone help me on this most annoying issue?. muchly appreciated.

Posted by chief on July 18, 2008 at 12:02 PM (CDT)

You are use’n CD-R which mean you can not add anything to a CD once information has been stored on it. Try to use CD-RW, you can Rewrite the information onto the CD.

For now, Just use a new CD and burn all your songs onto it at once

Posted by Travis on July 22, 2008 at 2:52 PM (CDT)

Whenever I try to burn a disc, it says that it can’t find a disc burner or software, even though I have an external disc drive hooked up.  How do I get iTunes to find the external disc drive?

Posted by Roland Bargiel on July 23, 2008 at 7:38 PM (CDT)

I am trying to burn a cd from itunes and I am actually having no luck what so ever.  I have tried mp3 even and I just keep getting errors.
I know its not the cd cause I even tried diffrent ones.  its so frustrating casue I have not been able to burn any of my cd’s that I have in itunes when i try to do it by audio it only reads error (2131) I don’t know what this means nor am I able to fix it.  Can anyone help me?

Posted by Krystal on July 24, 2008 at 8:12 PM (CDT)

I set up my playlist, insert a blank disk and the burn cd button never appears in my itunes. Is it just something that is wrong with my computer or am i doing something wrong? I have already gone to the Edit>Advanced>Burning and adjusted it to how I want it so I am confused to this point. Can anyone help me?

Posted by Josh on August 21, 2008 at 2:09 PM (CDT)

I have been using Itunes for several years with no issues but recently I cant get a good CD burn no matter what I try. I get randow spurts of buzzing ( not skipping ) which may appear several times throughout the CD. This occurs no matter which drive I use, what speed I select, even X1, or what brand of CDs I use. It also occurs with songs I have imported to Itunes and burn. I also disable my internet connect. I dont have this problem with Real Player or Media Player. I am about to dump Itunes all together. The bad thing is I have spent a lot of cash for songs in their AAC format.

Posted by Gary on August 30, 2008 at 4:29 PM (CDT)

Whenever I burn a CD from iTunes the songs come up on other computers and devices with “Untitled” as their names, and there’s no info. Anyone know how I can burn the info along with the audio?

Posted by Nick S on October 9, 2008 at 2:38 PM (CDT)

Hi y’all
Just bought a car with an MP3 CD Player and the blurb tells me that I can burn a CD containing almost 400 tunes and 10 hours of music on just one CD.  Although I can burn a normal CD okay from iTunes, I’ve had no luck with the MP3 format to enable me to do this.  Can anyone help me please, bearing in mind I’m a senior and not ever so clever with technical terminology!
Thanks folks.

Posted by Essex Gal on November 5, 2008 at 12:27 PM (CST)

I have never had a problem burning an audio CD from itunes in the past. I get a new laptop, and download itunes version 8, and now I can’t burn a single CD?!?! I know it is not the disk drive, and itunes has no info about this problem. Does anyone know how to solve this issue, or maybe a way to convert the data files to a wav or mp3 format?

Posted by Dan Arnold on November 19, 2008 at 6:47 AM (CST)

When i attempt to burn a cd, everything works exactly like it should. i put a blank cd in,hit burn and it goes through the motions and indicates that it has burned and the cd is done. The problem is that no cd player will read it! Can anyone help with this? it just started doing that, it was working fine. i loved burning cd’s on itunes because it was so easy and now it doesnt work at all! Any help or advice anyone would give would be appreciated. thanks!

Posted by SHARLA on November 20, 2008 at 1:37 PM (CST)

how do you do this with a playlist with 2 songs in it, but have it make it into only 1 track?

Posted by hinta on December 6, 2008 at 4:40 PM (CST)

and PLEASE keep in mind that i don’t know technical terms
thanks!! =)

Posted by hinta on December 6, 2008 at 4:43 PM (CST)

I have been buying and burning music from Itunes for several years, but in the last few weeks (possibly since Itunes 8) I have been been unsuccessful burning mp3 music and the itunes format.  I have updated everything and still can’t burn a CD and Itunes has nothing on the subject.  Can you help?

Posted by Monica K. on December 9, 2008 at 6:21 PM (CST)

Help! I can easily make CDs from my iTunes library playlist - but have a problem with the name of the disk. When I put in a blank, I name it according to the new recording. But every time, when the recording is finished the name on the disk reverts to one I used ages ago, so all my CDs apparently have the same name. Very confusing. Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem?

Posted by Shirley Brown on December 10, 2008 at 4:14 PM (CST)

Still can’t figure out how to burn a Cd from a CD that I put in the MAc and play. I’ll stick with vinyl, which sounds superior anyway.

Posted by Todd C on December 10, 2008 at 6:56 PM (CST)

Every time I try and burn a cd in itunes it looks as though its going to work then I get a cancel message of 4450. Please help!

Posted by Dre on December 11, 2008 at 4:32 PM (CST)

unable to join cd—it’sgray and unable to select

please HELP!

Posted by Marie Kadilak on December 23, 2008 at 8:28 PM (CST)

just a question. my itunes was working fine untill a few weeks ago, it said it couldn’t import or burn cds anymore. I tried to repair the problem by reinstalling it but that didn’t work. Now I want to back up my library to completely take it off the computer but itunes won’t let me burn the cd. It keeps saying disc recording not found… Can anyone help me??

Posted by beki on January 2, 2009 at 9:18 PM (CST)

i put in a memorex cd-r and created a new playlist but everytime i hit burn disc at the bottom of the page the music it says that there is no disc recording not found what does that mean? Do i need a type of software?? Please help?

Posted by tara on January 15, 2009 at 9:25 PM (CST)

I have been unsuccessful at burning a CD from my I tunes playlist.  Each time I try, I get an error 2131.  Please advise…

Posted by Deb on January 23, 2009 at 11:12 AM (CST)

I dont have the Burn button on my preferences I use Itumes version 8

Posted by Lee on January 28, 2009 at 9:51 AM (CST)

This article was written in 2004, Einstein.

Posted by jj on February 17, 2009 at 3:39 PM (CST)

Is there a way to equalize the volume levels of all the songs on a mix CD.  I hate that some songs are very quiet and others blast you out!  I know it’s because the different sources are at different levels.  The volume setting only affect the playback on the computer, and doesn’t seem to affect the burn volume or the IPOD playback volume.

Posted by bill on February 17, 2009 at 9:16 PM (CST)

omg! wen i download da songs from itunes my cd didnt come out! my computer ate it! wen all da songs were completed and written da source thing never showed up. did i do somthing wrong? if i did, what should i do?

Posted by samantha on February 21, 2009 at 7:26 PM (CST)

I recently updated my Macbook & got itunes 8. When I burned a playlist, the burning process went fine, but when I tried to play the cd, it didn’t play. I’ve been using itunes for years, and have had no problems burning playlists on this very same laptop. Has anyone else had this issue?? Is apple once again c**k blocking???

Posted by miriam on March 1, 2009 at 12:01 AM (CST)

whenever I try to playback a CD that I burned on itunes, the last few songs skip.  any ideas why this happens?  i don’t think it’s the disk because my roomy has the same ones and has had no problems.

Posted by matt on March 1, 2009 at 5:24 AM (CST)

hey everybody my problem, is how does one get the first line of a song only onto a cd??? my teacher wants us to make a burned cd of one liners for english. any advice, tips or directions would be appreciated especially since it’s due tomm. at 2:40. thanx from a fellow itunes user.

Posted by jaces on March 12, 2009 at 11:24 PM (CDT)