How to import CD tracks to iTunes | iLounge Article

Article

How to import CD tracks to iTunes

New to the world of iPod and digital music management?  What better way than to load all your audio CDs into iTunes and begin building your library.  This can be a daunting task if your collection is large, but worry not; Apple makes it easy, and iLounge is here to help. This is the first article in our new iPod 101 series to help our readers get familiar with basic functionality of the iPod and music management software. Today we start with iTunes for Mac or Windows.

First, make sure you’re running the latest version of iTunes for Mac OS X or Windows.  Chances are that the iPod you received shipped with an outdated version.  Bypass the Install CD entirely and download the latest version of iTunes from Apple.com.  Install it on your computer (Mac OS X or Windows XP, 2000), and follow the instructions below to begin building your song library.

pic

First, we will set up the format you wish to import your music as.  Go to the “Edit” menu (“iTunes” menu on OS X), and select “Preferences…” Select the “Importing” tab.  Apple’s default preference is 128Kbps AAC encoding.  You may choose a higher bitrate to encode at if you wish; you will experience higher sound quality, but each song will take up more space, meaning you will be able to fit less music on your iPod.  While many agree that AAC offers superior quality over MP3 at equivalent bitrates, iTunes also allows you to choose MP3 encoding if you need greater compatibility with other players, people, and devices.

The AIFF and WAV options are for special uses only. In most cases, you will not want to use these uncompressed audio codecs, because it creates very large file sizes.

pic

Once you choose your encoding preferences, the rest is easy.  Insert an audio CD, and iTunes will attempt to retrieve the album and track titles from CDDB (an Internet database for such information).  Within a second or two, your album information is populated and the CD shows up in the “Source” column in the left of the window.

Double-check the track information listed and correct if needed… by single clicking on a text field twice.  You can batch edit the information for multiple tracks by shift-clicking or control-clicking to select multiple tracks, followed by a right click and “Get Info.”

pic

Once your tracks are titled properly, click the “Import” button in the top right.  iTunes will take a few minutes to digitally encode (or “rip”) the tracks on the CD to your hard drive.

Once imported, your songs will appear in your “Library” (See “Source” column on left).  Unless you have selected other advanced options for iPod syncing, everything in this Library will be automatically synchronized to your iPod each time it is connected to your computer.

Get yourself a tall glass of [insert favorite beverage here], and repeat as needed.  Once your library has been fully digitized, you can start to truly enjoy your music through the features and simplicity of iTunes and the iPod.

Jerrod H. is a Forum Administrator and Contributing Editor for iLounge.

« 2003: “The Year of Digital Music”

Audible User’s Guide for iPod »

Comments

Dweeb - I’m looking for the same thing.  What’s the solution?

Posted by chzplz on May 30, 2004 at 6:32 PM (PDT)

I know that this has already been posted but I am having trouble transfering my cds - when i stick the cd in the drive it does not show up in the source list on itunes - i downloaded the most recent itunes and quicktime - my computer is a few years old so I am wondering if the drive and is there anything I can do without getting a new one

Posted by Sar on June 15, 2004 at 6:26 PM (PDT)

you know something.I’ve never ripped, poured or pushed an ipod button. So to have articles on how to do this is very good. Those of you who already know 101 should not be reading it. It is way under your level of inteligence.

Posted by Cheryl on June 17, 2004 at 3:57 PM (PDT)

I was wondering…

It seems like the cds should be ripping alot faster than they are on my computer. they go at a 1.7x rate, and the example shows it at a 12x rate.

Is there anything I can do to make it go faster?

Posted by michelle d on June 27, 2004 at 8:37 PM (PDT)

I hope someone can help me on this i have seached a number of forums and the topic has been mentioned but I have found no solution.

For some reason My itunes wil not allow me to get the track names for my CD’s, It won’t do it automaticaly when i put a cd in and it wont do it when i go to get CD track names. all that happens is a VERY brief pop-up saying processing followed by nothing.

If i import the CD and do it from my library it says the datadase cannot find some of the tracks every time. this happens for well known tracks that I know are on the data-base

This really is driving me nuts as the whole thingis pretty useless without track names and there is no chance of me doing it manually for each track for about 4000 tracks!

Is it my settings, my computer, cd-rom drive, firewalls I cant understand why and I close to throwing the whole thing through the window.

Posted by Robin on June 28, 2004 at 3:22 PM (PDT)

I am i the same boat as dweeb. Dweeb, how about sharing your new found knowledge with all the other frustrated iPOD/XP users?

Posted by Neilster on July 1, 2004 at 6:36 AM (PDT)

This may seem silly, but I’m considering buying an ipod and I need to know if it will allow me to place “illegal” mp3s (like mp3s I get off of kazaa and websites) onto the ipod.  Will it play those mp3s?  Or will it only play music that I’ve ripped from audio cds?  I have a very large library of downloaded music on my comp that I’d love to put on the ipod if it will allow me.

Also, I’ve heard that once music is on the ipod, it can’t be transferred back to the computer.  Is this true of all music (even the “illegal” ones)?  Is this true of all types of files (like normal data files)?

Posted by adam on July 5, 2004 at 9:28 AM (PDT)

i losy my entire hard drive, got a new one and an external drive to put my ipod songs back on my hard drive.  now when i open itunes i see all of my songs but when i put a new cd in, it seems to recognize but nothing happens to try to import it in itunes it shows the cd icon but does not pop up to bring in. even when i click import nothing happens.  any ideas?

Posted by ritchie on July 16, 2004 at 3:17 PM (PDT)

Help!!!  I have the windows media player and i got my music off of that but i cant put the songs from that onto my iPod i just got it yesterday so i have no idea how to do anything on it.  can someone help me??

Posted by Fred on July 29, 2004 at 7:36 AM (PDT)

Oh, and how do u delete songs from the iPod?

Posted by Fred on July 29, 2004 at 7:43 AM (PDT)

So, I have a coupla questions.  First, when you delete a song from itunes, does it really delete it from your ipod, or is it still there, hidden, taking up space? I seem to think it’s still there cuz my space doesn’t seem to go back up.  Also, and this is more important.  Can you burn out your hard drive on the ipod if you import a bunch of songs at the same time (like 1000+)? I formatted my ipod (to get rid of any possible residuals) and now I’m re-importing all the songs.  I’m taking breaks with it after about every 200 songs.  Is this necessary?

Posted by turtle on July 29, 2004 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

Here’s my problem—-my friend showed me how to put songs on my iPod at his house, and then when I came home I wanted to put some songs off my library onto it, but when I hooked it up to my computer it said updating iPod and deleted all the songs he put on and put on everything that was in my library. Is there any way that I could stop my computer from doing this. Thanks.

Posted by BigKahuna on July 30, 2004 at 4:09 PM (PDT)

I’ve got a question about importing songs into iTunes.  I have no problem with songs that come from CD’s.  However, songs that I’ve received from other sources (i.e. via email will import into iPod without problem but when I try to access them later I get an exclamation point icon and an error message that reads, “...the original file could not be found…”
What am I doing wrong?

Posted by VicPaul on August 13, 2004 at 6:38 PM (PDT)

I am having problems with itunes reading my audio CD’s. When ever I am in itunes and I put in a CD my computer freezes. I cannot eject the CD so have to reboot. There is no problem with my CD drive as when when i’m in Windows media player and insert a CD it reads the CD and brings up all of the track details. I have tried reinstalling itunes from the original CD and downloading itunes from the apple website but still have the same problem. Has anyone else had this problem or know what i’m doing wrong. Any advice appreciated.

Posted by keeezz on September 8, 2004 at 2:28 AM (PDT)

Yeah hi,

i just want to know whether i can import anything else than tracks that ive ripped off cds!? I mean, ive got 25gig of music and i cant work out how to drop it all into the ipod, and the only articles i find are those discussing the import of cds and stuff. Surely there must be a way of putting all my mp3s on the pod!?

Sam

Posted by Sam on September 13, 2004 at 5:33 AM (PDT)

Need help! How do you import tracks that exist on your iPod onto the hard drive of a new computer (got a new computer so want to transfer everything over via the iPod). My old setup used MusicMatch but now I have iTunes and I’m tooling around with iTunes trying to import from the iPod and cannot figure it out. Thanks

Posted by bwise on September 16, 2004 at 9:45 PM (PDT)

can i delete the songs from my itunes but not from my ipod without it updating the ipod

Posted by formats on September 19, 2004 at 12:43 PM (PDT)

formats—

Wait a few hours, and there will be an article posted here about how to synchronize your iPod with your computer.  This topic will be covered.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on September 19, 2004 at 1:03 PM (PDT)

hey i bought the 20 gig ipod the other day and am currently importing all my cds on a pc, and it is SO slow, it wont go faster than 4x and i have all other programs closed on teh computer and i dont have teh ‘error correction’ on. is there ANY WAY to make it faster. would be soooo gratefull for some help smile

Posted by Nat on September 28, 2004 at 8:41 PM (PDT)

I have 2 computers which I have tried to download my CD’s.I have had the same problem that some of you have had on one of my them in that it will not download my cd’s into iTunes. I have no problem with my other computer. So I have come to the conclusion that it is not my computer skills but perhaps the type of CD hardware that iTunes does not like!!! The only way round this was to download my CD’s into MusicMatch Basic (at no cost - see their website) and then transfer the folders into the latest update of Itunes using the “Add Folder to Library”. It is a long way around but at lest I have put the thought out of my head to go and buy & install another CD ROM!. Unfortunately unless you purchase MusicMatch Plus it will take you a long time to download your CDs (14 Tracks took over a hour) but I guess if you are frustrated you will do anything to get your favourite music playing through your iPod. I would like to do all my downloading through iTunes so if anyone else can enlighten me of how to get iTunes to acknowledge my CD ROM I look forward to your comments & help.

Posted by Dennis on October 1, 2004 at 4:29 AM (PDT)

Love the iPod. I would like to know how to record “live music” eg a song idea I might have on the run! There is iMic ( which I havent tried!) Would this work? Is there another solution? Would this type of recording take up much space? (I am surprised not to have found much, in fact nothing, on this topic. Appreciate any advice. Cheers. Jamie

Posted by Jamie on October 24, 2004 at 11:02 PM (PDT)

hey, question, kind of lame question. I bought my pod of sum 1, but all he gave me was the pod. What do i need? and how can i get started. can i use kazaa.

Posted by armen on October 25, 2004 at 8:06 PM (PDT)

Hi - I have no problem installing regular CDs to itunes but how about a CD filled with MP3 files - how do I upload that to Itunes as AAC files (which I really like)  Thanks Jay

Posted by richard loeb on November 15, 2004 at 6:27 PM (PDT)

Has anyone experimented with importing CD’s at different rates?  Are there big differences in sound quality using, instead of the default rate of 128kbps, a rate of 160kbps?  192 kbps? etc.  Is it worth doing it given the capacity that you lose.  (I’m using my new iPod with a good pair of earbuds from Etymotic, and a desktop computer with an ok set of speakers.)  I know it’s a subjective call, but I’m interested in people’s opinions.  Thanks.

Posted by trachshack on November 18, 2004 at 12:46 PM (PDT)

And another question…should I convert my MP3’s, downloaded through various P to P services,  to the AAC format?  I have been reading that this is a better sounding format.  Is this true?  Is there a down side to converting them?

Posted by trachshack on November 18, 2004 at 4:21 PM (PDT)

I have a quick question for anyone that is willing to help out!  I am about to buy an iPod (Friday when I get off work, hopefully). However, for the past 8 months or so, I’ve been getting my music from walmart.com’s download section for 88 cents each.  The bad part is, as some of you already know, the walmart downloads are in WMA format, and therefore not compatible with the iPod.  My question is:  Is there something that I can get to convert these WMA files into MP3 files, or are my 120-something songs that I bought from walmart useless now?

Thanks for any help I can get, and I’m going to post this in a few other places also in hopes to get an answer before Friday.

Posted by PastFacesFuture in Florida on November 30, 2004 at 10:31 AM (PDT)

PastFacesFuture—

Unless you want to do some work, you’re largely out of luck.

Here’s why:

Your Wal-Mart songs are *Protected* WMA files, due to copyright protections implemented in them.  Had they been *Unprotected* WMA files, you’d have been able to have iTunes convert them via the procedure here:

...but—again—you can’t.

Unfortunately, the only way you can get your songs into an iPod-compatible format would be to burn them to a standard audio CD (using software other than iTunes, obviously), and import them to an unprotected iPod-supported format (MP3 or AAC) via iTunes.

The disadvantages to this are that:

1) You may get some sort of sound quality loss due to uncompressing and recompressing an already lossy format.

2) It will be a major pain in the butt, as you’ll need to re-tag each song manually when you re-import it from the Audio CD.

Good luck.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on November 30, 2004 at 10:41 AM (PDT)

In relation to Julie’s post… my friend is having this problem of iTunes not recognising the CD drive - even though every other program does.

I found this:

Looks like its a serious problem. Whats the good if iTunes if it doesn’t support all CD drives!?!? Espescially when MMJB, WMP, RealPlayer does!

Posted by Jayden80 in Brisbane, Australia on December 20, 2004 at 8:13 PM (PDT)

I ams till having toubles importing from a CD. Itunes wont recognize the CD and I have done everything the “Help” section has said, nothing works. I am trying to get songs from the CD Yellowcard Ocean Avenue and SImple PLan Not getting any.. SOmeone please help?

Posted by Outcast19 in US on December 21, 2004 at 6:49 PM (PDT)

Help…after ripping cds I notice that the first 1, 2 or 3 tracks don’t appear in my library.  The tracks do appear on the hard disc, but they don’t appear in my library.  When I try to rip just those tracks that didn’t appear over again, I get the same resuslts…they still don’t appear in my library, but they do appear duped on the hard disc.  Any ideas or suggestions?

Posted by KrisB on December 27, 2004 at 8:26 PM (PDT)

I’ve got a kind of dumb question—I have about 400 CDs to import and a G4 iBook on which to import them.  The DVD-Rom/Burner drive gets a lot of use (has been used to burn about 100 CDs).  Does ripping CDs wear down the drive, and if so, how many would be a safe number?  Finally (more iBook related) if it does burn out, can it be replaced cheaply?

Posted by sullivnu on January 6, 2005 at 1:14 PM (PDT)

this is all Greek to me but i just ordered a Shuffle (iG) for downloading music from my CD collection, is it just a matter of downloading itunes then putting in my CD of choice-downloading selected songs to hard-drive then onto Shuffle?
thanks
J.

Posted by Cutenypara on January 13, 2005 at 5:22 AM (PDT)

Can someone please tell me how to get iTunes to recognize a CD after it has already been burned to the hard drive? Windows Media Player does this automatically when connected to the internet yet iTunes doesn’t want to. Imagine how angry I was after ripping 10 CDs without being connected to the internet and now having to type in the song name and artist. Am I doing something wrong? I must admit if there is no way to have iTunes recognize a CD after it is already burned that is pretty sad. I just got my ipod and was very disappointed in iTunes as a whole. I absolutely love the ipod, but it just seems the WMP is more intuitive (although I really like the Visualizer in iTunes). Please let me know any suggestions. Thanks!

Posted by new ipod user on January 14, 2005 at 9:06 PM (PDT)

having similar problems to others with itunes not recognising CD in driver - except it worked for hte first few CDs but has now stopped?
also, is there any way of converting protected WMA files or not?

Posted by bsd in london on January 25, 2005 at 10:17 AM (PDT)

When I import CDs into iTunes and then attempt to play the songs in my Library, iTunes skips the first song on the CD and then only plays a 10 second sample of the other songs.  Any ideas?

Posted by pacemaker on February 20, 2005 at 10:00 AM (PDT)

Hi - I got an iPod mini yesterday. I am having issues with importing from my CDs. The first time I insert a CD, iTunes recognizes it and I can import with no problems. But then when I remove the CD and put in another one, it doesn’t recognize it from there on. Literally, it only works the first time I turn on my computer and open iTunes. Any suggestions?

Posted by rvenn on March 17, 2005 at 8:08 AM (PDT)

I cannot get CD’s to load onto ITunes.  It’s as if the computer does not recognize them.  It used to work, but now is dead.  I think Itunes jacked something up.

Posted by marfa on March 26, 2005 at 1:14 PM (PDT)

I JUST received a 40GB iPod as a gift, and have only begun to fill up my iTunes library on my PC. 1 thing I’m a little confused about is this whole Enoding format issue. I’ve been using the MP3 format and choosing 192kbps setting. Should I be using “AAC” or “Apple Lossless” instead?? Do these formats take up too much space? Regardless of whether space is really an issue, do these formats represent a discernible difference in audio quality?? PLEASE HELP!! I’ve already ripped about 85 CD’s into iTunes, but I’d like to feel confident I’m doing it right since I have another 600+ CD’s left to rip!!
THANKS!!

Posted by DevinSheedy in Chicago on March 28, 2005 at 8:55 AM (PDT)

I’ve had my iPod mini for a while now, and have been using iTunes without any problems, until I decide to start addding my CDs to my library and basically it all went to ####.

When I put a disc in, a window opens asking me what program I want to use to play the CD and there are 3 iTunes options - show songs, play songs or import songs.  Whichever option I choose, iTunes opens, but nothing else happens.  I cant get it to recognise the CD, not even just to play it.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be going wrong? Ive tried changing the encoder to MP3 instead of AAC, ive tried manually importing, by using the import option in the file menu, and the ‘add file to library’ option too, but all to no avail!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Posted by hawkeyed on April 25, 2005 at 10:40 PM (PDT)

Hey, is it possible to import just one track instead of the whole CD?  I find it cumbersome that if I want a single song, I have to wait to import the entire thing, then delete the tracks I don’t want.

Posted by spiderland on May 9, 2005 at 6:58 AM (PDT)

Hi. I bought my daughter an ipod ofr her birthday, loaded up itunes and transferred all existing music files into itunes. This was all fine and synchronised with the ipod without problems. However, when a new cd is put in the drive, the pc freezes. Is this just a RAM issue, or is there another solution? Many thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

Posted by Pierogas on July 4, 2005 at 10:41 AM (PDT)

hey everyone, i’ve had my ipod for a bout a year now, and no problems until recently. I just bought a cd (staind, break the cycle) and when i put it to itunes all the songs load correctly until the last 4. The last 4 songs are cut extremely short. (4th from last, is 58 seconds long, 3 from last is 0, 2 from last is 1 sec and last is 0 sec.) and i can listen to the whole song on my stero. I’ve treid putting the cd to itunes like 3 times and it keeps coming up the same…help please??

Posted by problems...81 on July 15, 2005 at 7:51 PM (PDT)

I have a problem with iTunes. When I put in the CD that I want to import. Once the CD is put in it populates and when I hit import. It starts to import that it stops and Jams my computer. Does anyone know what causes that??

Posted by Chedlay on June 30, 2006 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

Thank you! Im getting my ipod in the post next week so im trying to figure out how to use it first! One question - do u need a cd rewriter for this to work because mines just an ordinary disk drive? P.S. 3 cheers for technobimbo articles!

Posted by fabfaye on August 1, 2006 at 6:41 AM (PDT)

I’m having some issues when I import songs from CDs. When I use iTunes to import songs, the first song it imports from any CD cuts out for a second at the beginning of the song. It’s almost like my computer is getting used to ripping so it messes up the first songs. However, if I import the songs through Windows Media Player and then import them again through iTunes, they’re fine. So that makes me think it’s something wrong with iTunes. Any suggestions to help me be able to import solely through iTunes but not get a crummy first song?

Posted by Sherry1083 on January 8, 2007 at 2:22 PM (PDT)

I have built a rather large library (+3,000) on the hard drive through Windows Media, in WMA and MP3. I tried to use Windows Media synch to transfer them to my IPOD, but it did not work. First, do I still have to go through ITunes? Second, will I be duplicating these files on my hard drive (space)?
TomC

Posted by TomC on June 16, 2007 at 11:30 AM (PDT)

Has anyone got an answer for Comment 161. I’ve got a similar or same problem and cannot solve it - whenever I import a CD or even a single track, I lose my internet connection and can’t get it back unless I restart my computer.

Posted by Mark Jolly on April 29, 2008 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

When I try to add a CD to itunes it starts to download and stops after a few seconds and lock up the computer.  The only way to reset is to shut down the computer.  Any ideas?

Posted by JeffL on May 9, 2008 at 9:04 PM (PDT)

Hi,my problem is importing compilation albums,i tunes imports the songs but seems to save them all seperately please can anyone help, thanks….

Posted by Carl Mc Quade on July 2, 2008 at 8:52 AM (PDT)

Great article and my question is how long does it take to put a CD on my computer and then in turn put it on my POD?
I am not lazy, but my plan is to put my entire CD collection of 360CDs on a POD because I am being transferred overseas.
Oh yes, when I transfer my CDs from my computer to the POD is then my storage on the computer emptied?
Thanks, Bernie

Posted by Bernie on October 31, 2008 at 11:27 AM (PDT)

Where does iTunes store the actual file when its done importing the cd? I consolidated my library but it wont consolidate the cd i imported

Posted by NK47 on December 18, 2008 at 2:46 AM (PDT)

i just bought backstage and backed up my ipod which took forever but can’t get it to transfer to itunes i tried a couple times all my music comes up in backstage i tried to check button in preferences to import to itunes automatically but it isn’t highlighted and won’t let me check it. help me out someone!!!????

Posted by robert on February 8, 2009 at 5:37 PM (PDT)

Hi there

I can import CD’s to itunes fine -
But for some reason the tracks on the CD won’t sync to my ipod - very frustrating.
Can you help?
taz

Posted by taz on May 11, 2009 at 4:11 AM (PDT)

I am having big trouble with Itunes, when I open Itunes and put a cd in my cd drive Itunes does not pop up asking me if I want to import my cd, now yes I have had a look at my preferences and they are put to I want to be asked about importing cd. it just doesn’t pop up, I think I am about to cry with frustration

Posted by Really pissed on July 10, 2009 at 3:50 AM (PDT)

Something odd seems to have happened with my imported tracks - ripped from CDs - they have disappeared from the iTunes library but are still on the PC’s hard drive. Anyone got any suggestions what to do please - other than go and reimport them all - or if I have to do that how can I prevent this happening again?

Thanks
Rob

Posted by Robert Williams on July 25, 2009 at 6:41 AM (PDT)

When I upload songs to my ipod they show up on itunes as track 1, track 2, etc. with no other info. about song, album, artist.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by mm on August 17, 2009 at 6:05 PM (PDT)

Hello All,

I have had an ongoing problem with iTunes, which Im hoping somebody can help me with. The process is as follows:

1)  Insert CD to iTunes - programme asks if I want to import the tracks to iTunes and I confirm
2)  After importing a few tracks (between 1 and 3 generally) iTunes stops inporting the CD and takes me back to music library page.
3)  I reinsert the CD, but iTunes does not regonise it at all this time - I then have to restart iTunes, and sometimes (but not always) it recognises the CD.

I have to repeat this process a number of times for every CD I try to import to iTunes.

I have checked and the software is fully up to date.

Can somebody advise if this is a glitch in the software which can be fixed, as its driving me up the wall!!!

Many Thanks
John

Posted by John Bollands on September 9, 2009 at 2:52 AM (PDT)

I tried what has been mentioned in the topic. But still I can’t find the cd import” button and so iTune is useless for me. The burn button is also not seen. COULD YOU HELP?

Posted by abdul karim on September 13, 2009 at 8:02 PM (PDT)

My problem is that iTune doesn’t recognise the CD. HOw to proceed

Posted by abdul karim on September 13, 2009 at 8:09 PM (PDT)

ok, im trying to help my mom setup up her ipod and import some cd’s and i myself have an ipod and have never had issues dealing with this.  When i downloaded the newer version of itunes it was a different setup.  i followed the directions and yet the cd doesnot show up on the library. what should i do?

Posted by Dakota on October 3, 2009 at 11:24 AM (PDT)

I have imported a cd but 10out of the 12 tracks import into one album and each of the other two into albums of the same name?

Posted by Mick on October 30, 2009 at 2:10 PM (PDT)

I haven’t read all the conversations, but some of my CDs will play or rip in itunes.  One example is the Beatles’ White album .... one CD I could rip but the other one could not.  Any ideas

Posted by Vetmark on November 19, 2009 at 11:14 PM (PDT)

i’m new to all this   i imported some albums and everythings fine but one album in particular has all the tracks showing up as albums themselves why?

Posted by TImo on December 28, 2009 at 6:19 PM (PDT)

when i put in a copied cd itunes cant read the songs it seems it will copy to play list but not pull up name of song or artist can this work or not have a few cds from friends like to get the songs on ipod with name of songs and artist thank you

Posted by joe on February 14, 2010 at 2:56 PM (PDT)

I can’t figure out a quicker more efficient way to eject the CD and load another. Right now I have to close then re-open iTunes to for it to recognize the   newly loaded CD. wtf? Any ideas?

Thanks,
ernesto

Posted by Ernesto on February 21, 2010 at 10:58 PM (PDT)

When i import CDs, each track shows up as individual album.

Posted by G James on March 7, 2010 at 12:31 PM (PDT)

When I try to import songs from CDs, they are only about 0-10 seconds in lenght. This problem started after my hard disk failed and I replaced my xp system with windows 7. I’ve tried all of Apple’s advise on the matter but that hasn’t solved my problem. THe same situation happens when I try to rip with Media Player.
Has anyone had this problem and found a solution to it?

Posted by J Dooley on March 12, 2010 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

Hi, I need some help when importing CD’s to Itunes version 9. With some CD albums, Itunes seems to create multiple albums. I think what Itunes is doing is that it creates another album when the album artist is different. I tried it with Kenny G Greatest Hits and it created 5 albums.

How do I resolve this problem?? I’ve tried clicking on album but this doesn’t work.

Please help

Posted by Shailendra on April 6, 2010 at 3:38 AM (PDT)

Hello, I have a ton of burnt cds that I am trying to import onto my itunes. The problem is that itunes can’t find the names of each track. Lately I have been typing in the names, but this seems to take to long. Is there something out there in itunes that can read the titles? It would save a ton of time, as I have about 3,000 more songs to import. Thanks in advance.

Posted by johnnie k men on April 27, 2010 at 4:46 PM (PDT)

I got all of music “imported” into itunes. But cannot get it to transfer over to the ipod. All the boxes on the various songs have a check mark. When I connect the ipod is says connected, syncing, but nothing transfer over. Any ideas?

Posted by jeff on June 9, 2010 at 7:52 AM (PDT)

Hi, I have a problem when importing CD’s. It has been fine up until yesterday but now what happens is that it recognises the CD, even plays it but when I start to import it after a few seconds it says I Tunes has detected a problem and will close. And there are no other options - it just closes! I have tried different CDs and also an external CD Drive but its just the same. It seems it is a problem with i tunes rather than my CD Drive or laptop because as I said it recognises the CD and plays it, just wont import it. Please help!

Posted by jemma on November 17, 2010 at 2:42 AM (PDT)

Every time I try to import a song from a CD, “iTunes has stopped working. Windows will close the program and check for a solution.”

I haven’t had this problem until now.

What do I do?

Posted by M Cantrell on November 28, 2010 at 11:45 AM (PDT)

trying to import cd “itunes has stopped working windows will close the progrm and look for a solution and then closes

Posted by ken povey on December 7, 2010 at 1:05 PM (PDT)

what about some help

Posted by ken povey on December 7, 2010 at 1:07 PM (PDT)

Hello. I am having the exact problem that was posted by Larry S on December 28, 2003 at 11:16 PM (PDT) - I am having a very strange problem importing my CD’s into iTunes.  I put the CD in the drive, and iTunes recognizes the CD.  It then pulls up the track list from the Internet database, and it looks like it is ripping each of the tracks from the CD onto the hard drive.  But the process goes much too fast, and then when I go to look at the tracks on the hard drive (through iTunes), all of the tracks are listed, but with a track time of “Not Available”, and no artist or album info.  Of course, when I go to look at the actual file that was copied onto the hard disk it is way too small (all of the files are less than 10KB).  And these will not play.  I have tried everything I can think of, but I can’t fix this problem.  Can you please help?

Posted by Peter R on January 6, 2011 at 6:43 PM (PDT)

I have used iTunes for awhile and am just encountering a different problem, I will import a cd, and everything looks fine, but now when I try to drag the songs to my iPod or playlist or new file it looks like it works, bit it’s not there. I have tried many times to re import it but it’s just not working, and even the little checks turn green like it is on there. Any answers?

Posted by Budster on March 9, 2011 at 10:18 PM (PDT)

Frequently when I download a cd, each sound track will come through labeled and operating as if it is a separate album.  When downloaded to my Nano each individual song has to be clicked instead of automatically playing the next song.

Posted by Vernon Bailey on March 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM (PDT)

When I import an Audio CD it chooses the wrong name from the database. I want to find the files imported but cannot Itunes/Itunes Media. No they are not there, and the program has given my files complete wrong names. Where are my files and hos to tell Itunes never to ask the database.
Regards Niels Ebbe

Posted by Niels Ebbe Huus on August 3, 2011 at 1:32 PM (PDT)

I have a DVD-R full of my favorite songs. Itunes plays it but it wont copy it to the playlist. I have to have the DVD-R to hear it. What can I do to copy it into my itunes library?

Posted by Jess on November 15, 2011 at 6:26 PM (PDT)

I bought the full 50 CD Decca Sound set recently, and am trying to import them into my iTunes library, but the speeds are much slower than I’m used to. Haven’t changed the import settings from the default AAC 256kbps (stereo), but am getting 0.5x import speed and very big files.

Posted by Helen Vorrath on January 31, 2012 at 1:12 AM (PDT)

I need help badly. why do i get individual tracks on my iphone instead of the whole cd playlist when imported from pc itunes ?

Posted by ipohjohn on February 16, 2012 at 10:04 AM (PDT)

I successfully loaded a number of CD’s to my itunes library but cannot get them onto my ipod.  PC says the sync is complete but content is not on the ipod.  I have tried to sync with itunes and to sync only marked songs.  Nothing is working??????

Posted by Dorothy on June 3, 2012 at 7:47 AM (PDT)

itunes software is driving me mad. Why does it separate albums into constituent tracks? Why does it list some albums as ‘unknown’? Why does it split my album into ‘announcements’ and tracks with tunes? All this means I have a long list of tracks with no way of identifying except by listening to the track…and then hope my memory is good for that track. The whole thing is absurd.

Posted by Philip Skeldon on November 16, 2012 at 4:56 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2