How to name tracks from imported CDs when not connected to the internet | iLounge Article

Article

How to name tracks from imported CDs when not connected to the internet

By Kirk McElhearn

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, April 21, 2005
Articles Categories: Ask iLounge, iTunes, Music

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: How do I name tracks that I imported from CDs when not connected to the Internet? Do I have to erase them from the computer and add them while connected?

- Don

A: If you import tracks from CDs in iTunes, you can use the Advanced > Get CD Track Names command to connect to the CDDB and get the track info. However, if you used other software to convert the songs to digital music files, iTunes won’t be able to check with the CDDB to get this information.

Kirk McElhearn is the author of several books including iPod & iTunes Garage. His blog, Kirkville features articles about the iPod, iTunes, Mac OS X and much more.

The most asked question at iLounge.com:

How do I copy content from my iPod/iPhone onto my computer?

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac)

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Win)

Best Speakers?

Best Headphones?

Best Case?

Best In-Car Solution?

Best Battery Extender?

Find more answers in the latest publications in our Library. Free downloads developed by the editors of iLounge!

Ask iLounge Archives:

1-24-14: Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks

1-22-14: Splitting purchased content between two iPads

12-13-13: Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers

12-11-13: Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone

12-6-13: Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac

Read more recent Ask iLounge articles...

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

« Authorizing your computer to use iTunes Music Store

Using the iPod remote and shuffling songs »

Comments

You forgot to mention that iPod shuffle also pauses when the headphones are removed with software 1.1 or later.

Posted by WldKt in United States on April 21, 2005 at 9:38 PM (PDT)

I just downloaded a program called ipod agent which is suposed to let me upload my music from my ipod to my pc. How do you use it?

Posted by af7029 on April 22, 2005 at 11:46 AM (PDT)

I accidently imported all the tunes off my ipod onto my sisters mini. as her taste in music is dodgy half of this stuff isn’t what she is looking for and her memory is qutie full now. How do I remove the stuff she doesn’t want?

Posted by lizardo on April 22, 2005 at 1:40 PM (PDT)

I have just returned from the usa with a 30GB Ipod Photo.  I am imputing my cd collection into itunes but itunes has failed to get any cd information from the internet.  Hence, i have 18 ‘Track 1’s’ etc, etc.
Is there something I have to do to allow the track and album info to be found ? I have used ‘Get CD Track Names’ in the Advanced drop down menu but no luck.

Posted by Muiro on April 22, 2005 at 2:42 PM (PDT)

how do we use three ipods on one computer? help it driving me mad!

Posted by kimtrent on April 23, 2005 at 1:03 AM (PDT)

The screen on my 3rd generation 15 gig ipod has faded overnight and it is very hard ro see. Is it a temporary problem or something more serious. I have done nothing unusual lately and have owned it for over 1 year.

Posted by across on April 23, 2005 at 3:47 AM (PDT)

I had to restore my system on my computer and lost all my music on my computer, but still have it on my ipod. How can I get it back onto my computer?

Posted by yolandat on April 23, 2005 at 5:05 PM (PDT)

Can I erase photos or songs once in my ipod?

Posted by Blimunda on April 24, 2005 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

How can I transfer from my mini ipod to my library music which was copied to my mini from someone else’s itunes?

Posted by charlied747 on April 25, 2005 at 10:22 AM (PDT)

I bought an ipod mini (6gig) for my wife. i have my own ipod on my computer. How do we share the computer for both ipods?
Thanks

Posted by agolfer49 on April 26, 2005 at 6:26 AM (PDT)