Identifying purchased tracks in iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: In iTunes, how can I identify which songs require authorization, which songs were purchased and/or which songs are DRM protected?
A: The simplest way to do this is to create a Smart Playlist to group the tracks that meet your criteria. You can create a new Smart Playlist by choosing New Smart Playlist from the File menu in iTunes and then specifying the criteria you want to match. In iTunes 9, you can specify “Purchased is True” to search for all purchased tracks of any kind, and then filter this with “Media Kind is Music” to limit your Smart Playlist to only music tracks.
The resulting Smart Playlist will contain all music tracks purchased from the iTunes Store. This will include older standard DRM-protected iTunes tracks as well as newer “iTunes Plus” unprotected tracks. If you want to reduce the list to only show DRM-protected tracks, you can easily do this just by adding a criteria of “Kind contains Protected” to match only tracks with the word “Protected” in their kind field.
DRM-protected tracks from the iTunes Store normally have a “Kind” tag of “Protected AAC audio file” while iTunes Plus DRM-free tracks are labelled as “Purchased AAC audio file.” Note that tracks that need to be authorized are the same as DRM-protected tracks, and you only need to authorize your computer once for the iTunes Store account that was used to purchase these tracks. On the other hand, iTunes Plus “Purchased” tracks do not require any authorization for your computer or iPod/iPhone to play them, although your computer will need to be authorized for your iTunes Store account if you ever need to copy these purchased tracks back from an iPod using the “Transfer Purchases” option in iTunes.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!