iH9 and iPhone compatibility
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Does the iHome iH9 work with the new iPhone?
A: The iH9 is not officially compatible with any model of iPhone—either the original or the iPhone 3G. However, like most other Dock-connecting iPod speakers and accessories, the iH9 will work just fine with the iPhone to provide the standard functions such as audio playback, charging the iPhone, and standard playback controls and even basic menu navigation support from the iH9 remote control.
Connecting the iPhone to the iH9, however, will result in the “Accessory Not Compatible” nag screen, prompting you to enable Airplane Mode prior to using the accessory in order to avoid potential interference from the cellular radio in the iPhone, as the iH9 is not shielded against this type of interference. The iPhone will continue to work with the iH9 regardless of whether or not you choose to enable Airplane Mode, although depending on your cellular service you may hear static or interference from the cellular phone radio while listening to your music on the iH9. This is generally only a serious problem if you are using EDGE coverage, as opposed to an active Wi-Fi or 3G connection, although it is possible to get some interference on 3G as well.
If you choose to enable Airplane Mode, you can listen to the iPhone, but all wireless communication capabilities will be disabled and you will not be able to receive calls. Removing the iPhone from the iH9 automatically disables Airplane Mode, however.
The other notable feature on the iH9 that does not work with the iPhone is the ability to wake up to a custom playlist—when the alarm sounds the iPhone will simply resume playing where it left off, or start playing content randomly if you had not already been listening to a playlist.
Note that iHome now also sells the iP9 speakers, which are basically identical to the iH9 but are certified as iPhone-compatible.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!