iLounge Week in Review podcasts
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: What happened to the iLounge Week in Review podcasts? I loved listening to them every week, and now they’re gone without a trace. Will they be coming back?
A: You can still find our past editions here. There were three main reasons we decided to discontinue the iLounge Week in Review podcasts late last year - traffic, time, and value. At its peak, our podcast ranked 8th in the United States on the iTunes Music Store - this even surprised us - and similarly in the U.K. version of iTMS. Yet the total number of listeners at that point was in the single-digit thousands, which was clearly better than zero, but not enough to justify the time and effort that went into every week’s edition.
Behind the scenes, production was very problematic. We tried a variety of different software tools to produce our shows, which were being recorded via an overseas audio connection between iLounge’s U.S.- and U.K.-based staff. The connections were highly unreliable, and the tools had an amazing tendency to crash and lose most or all of our recordings - often after we’d finished doing the entire podcast. So a single half-hour show sometimes was recorded three times, interrupted by international telecom issues, and then edited for another hour or two. As much as we enjoyed doing a podcast on the first take, we tired of having to repeat everything over and over, and losing everything with such frequency.
Several weeks ago, we tried to use the Podcast Studio feature of Apple’s latest Garageband to produce a short podcast introduction to the iTalkPro voice recorder samples we placed online. We were blown away with the program’s ease of use and results, creating a recording that explained pretty much everything above, then led into the audio samples. Then Garageband crashed, losing all of the new podcast, so we decided to pull the plug once and for all. Apple has since patched Garageband to improve its reliability, but we’re not rushing back into podcasting unless there’s a really good reason to do so.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!