iM7 and iPod nano
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am looking at buying the Altec IM7, however I have been given conflicting reports whether or not it will fit the new iPod nano (with video). I have seen the cassette-like iPod dock and wondered if it did fit the new sized nano. Can you please put me right? Does the loading bay accommodate the nano properly? Is it a good fit, or are there gaps left by the mechanism?
A: The Altec Lansing IM7 was originally designed to hold a full-sized fourth-generation iPod. Newer full-size iPod models continue to fit reasonably well as the fifth-generation iPod and iPod classic are the same width and height as the fourth-generation iPod, with only the thickness (depth) being different.
From a technical point of view, the 30-pin Dock Connector remains fully compatible with the newer iPod models for audio output, although the video output features of the iM7 are not supported by the 2007 iPod models. The iPod nano will fit into the docking bracket and connect to the Dock Connector, but there will be additional space since there is no dock adapter available for the newest iPod nano.
The IM7 does include an adjustable spacer at the back of the iPod dock, although this doesn’t necessarily adjust all the way to the thinness of the newer iPod nano models. You can however add your own spacer, or alternatively look at simply leaving the iPod in it’s case—the iPod nano can still fit inside the docking bracket with many of the skin-type cases that are available.
Note that many retail stores have display units of the Altec Lansing iM7, so you may want to consider bringing your iPod nano to a store with you and comparing the size for yourself if this is an option.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!