iM7 and iPod nano
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am looking at buying the Altec IM7, however I have been given conflicting reports whether or not it will fit the new iPod nano (with video). I have seen the cassette-like iPod dock and wondered if it did fit the new sized nano. Can you please put me right? Does the loading bay accommodate the nano properly? Is it a good fit, or are there gaps left by the mechanism?
A: The Altec Lansing IM7 was originally designed to hold a full-sized fourth-generation iPod. Newer full-size iPod models continue to fit reasonably well as the fifth-generation iPod and iPod classic are the same width and height as the fourth-generation iPod, with only the thickness (depth) being different.
From a technical point of view, the 30-pin Dock Connector remains fully compatible with the newer iPod models for audio output, although the video output features of the iM7 are not supported by the 2007 iPod models. The iPod nano will fit into the docking bracket and connect to the Dock Connector, but there will be additional space since there is no dock adapter available for the newest iPod nano.
The IM7 does include an adjustable spacer at the back of the iPod dock, although this doesn’t necessarily adjust all the way to the thinness of the newer iPod nano models. You can however add your own spacer, or alternatively look at simply leaving the iPod in it’s case—the iPod nano can still fit inside the docking bracket with many of the skin-type cases that are available.
Note that many retail stores have display units of the Altec Lansing iM7, so you may want to consider bringing your iPod nano to a store with you and comparing the size for yourself if this is an option.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10