Importing audiobook CDs as audiobooks
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I copied a favorite audiobook CD to my new iPod, but it went into the Music section instead of the Audiobooks section. How do I get audio books on CD to copy into the Audiobooks section.
A: Although this was possible in previous versions of iTunes, it was a somewhat cumbersome process that involved converting, exporting, renaming and reimporting files. The good news is that iTunes 8 has made this process considerably simpler than it used to be.
When you insert a CD to import into iTunes, rather than choosing to automatically import the CD right away, go to the listing of tracks on the CD. You should be shown this listing automatically, but if it does not appear right away, then simply choose the CD from the Devices listing on the left-hand side of your iTunes window.
While viewing the listing of tracks on the CD, select all of the tracks either by choosing Edit, Select All or pressing CMD+A (Mac) or CTRL+A (Windows). With all of your CD tracks highlighted, choose File, Get Info from the iTunes menu to view/edit the properties of the selected tracks. From the Multiple Item information dialog box, click the “Options” tab to display the options for the selected tracks.
On the options tab, you will notice a field labelled “Media Kind” which should read “Music” by default. From the drop-down list, simply change this to “Audiobook” as shown above, and then click the OK button.
Once you have done this, import the CD as you normally would, and your tracks should be filed in the Audiobook section.
You can also modify any tracks you have already imported in the same manner: Select the tracks from your iTunes library, choose File, Get Info, go to the “Options” tab and change the “Media Kind” to “Audiobook.” The selected tracks will be moved from the Music section to the Audiobooks section of your iTunes library.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- Report: Apple working on 4K for next-generation Apple TV
- Apple announces WWDC 2017
- Apple patent points to possible new Smart Keyboard with dedicated ‘Share’ and ‘Emoji’ keys
- Jaguar announces in-car Apple Pay payment option at UK Shell gas stations
- Shareholders seek more diversity in Apple upper management
- Apple to fight Nebraska ‘right to repair’ bill
- Apple eyeing another supplier for future OLED screens
- Facebook announces Apple TV app along with iOS app video improvements
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10