Importing audiobook CDs as audiobooks
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I copied a favorite audiobook CD to my new iPod, but it went into the Music section instead of the Audiobooks section. How do I get audio books on CD to copy into the Audiobooks section.
A: Although this was possible in previous versions of iTunes, it was a somewhat cumbersome process that involved converting, exporting, renaming and reimporting files. The good news is that iTunes 8 has made this process considerably simpler than it used to be.
When you insert a CD to import into iTunes, rather than choosing to automatically import the CD right away, go to the listing of tracks on the CD. You should be shown this listing automatically, but if it does not appear right away, then simply choose the CD from the Devices listing on the left-hand side of your iTunes window.
While viewing the listing of tracks on the CD, select all of the tracks either by choosing Edit, Select All or pressing CMD+A (Mac) or CTRL+A (Windows). With all of your CD tracks highlighted, choose File, Get Info from the iTunes menu to view/edit the properties of the selected tracks. From the Multiple Item information dialog box, click the “Options” tab to display the options for the selected tracks.
On the options tab, you will notice a field labelled “Media Kind” which should read “Music” by default. From the drop-down list, simply change this to “Audiobook” as shown above, and then click the OK button.
Once you have done this, import the CD as you normally would, and your tracks should be filed in the Audiobook section.
You can also modify any tracks you have already imported in the same manner: Select the tracks from your iTunes library, choose File, Get Info, go to the “Options” tab and change the “Media Kind” to “Audiobook.” The selected tracks will be moved from the Music section to the Audiobooks section of your iTunes library.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!