Importing MP3 audiobooks into iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have quite a few MP3 format audiobooks downloaded on my iPod. I am having trouble importing them into iTunes 10 and having them end up in my Audiobooks folder. They also end up in the Music section on my iPod nano and they interfere with listening to music.
A: Audio files imported into iTunes are categorized as Music by default, and iTunes doesn’t analyze or differentiate between files based on their content—it simply assumes that everything is a music track unless you specifically tell it otherwise.
The good news is that this is merely default behaviour, and you can re-categorize these files as audiobooks quite easily simply by modifying their track properties. Simply select one or more of your imported audiobook MP3 files in iTunes and then choose Get Info from the iTunes File menu to bring up the track information dialog box. From there, choose the Options tab and you should see a field named “Media Kind” with a drop-down menu beside it:
Simply change this to “Audiobook” and your tracks will be moved to the Books section in iTunes and on your iPod nano. Note that if you’re copying content manually to your iPod nano, you will need to recopy these tracks onto your device before they appear in the proper section; if you’re using automatic sync this should be taken care of for you the next time you connect and sync your device. Note that you can do this for multiple files in one pass simply by selecting more than one track before opening the file info dialog box.
Note that there are other settings here as well that you may want to apply for audiobooks such as “Remember Position” and “Skip when Shuffling” which will allow your audiobooks to be bookmarkable and avoid them coming up in a shuffled playback on your iPod. For more information, check out our Complete Guide to iTunes Audiobooks, Podcasts + iTunes U.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple offering hands-on demos of Super Mario Run in stores
- Report: Apple pursuing studio agreements for early movie rentals
- Apple releases seventh beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple makes its picks for best iPhone, iPad and Apple TV apps of 2016
- Apple acknowledges Apple Music now includes ‘all the benefits of iTunes Match’
- Apple Music tops 20 million subscribers
- Apple blames ‘external factors’ for iPhone fires in China
- Rumor: 2017 iPhones won’t include glass chassis or wireless charging; will add red color
- Top Apple supplier Foxconn planning U.S. investment
- Apple enables Single Sign-On across all iOS 10 and tvOS 10 devices
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Sen.se GuardPeanut
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10