Importing MP3 audiobooks into iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have quite a few MP3 format audiobooks downloaded on my iPod. I am having trouble importing them into iTunes 10 and having them end up in my Audiobooks folder. They also end up in the Music section on my iPod nano and they interfere with listening to music.
A: Audio files imported into iTunes are categorized as Music by default, and iTunes doesn’t analyze or differentiate between files based on their content—it simply assumes that everything is a music track unless you specifically tell it otherwise.
The good news is that this is merely default behaviour, and you can re-categorize these files as audiobooks quite easily simply by modifying their track properties. Simply select one or more of your imported audiobook MP3 files in iTunes and then choose Get Info from the iTunes File menu to bring up the track information dialog box. From there, choose the Options tab and you should see a field named “Media Kind” with a drop-down menu beside it:
Simply change this to “Audiobook” and your tracks will be moved to the Books section in iTunes and on your iPod nano. Note that if you’re copying content manually to your iPod nano, you will need to recopy these tracks onto your device before they appear in the proper section; if you’re using automatic sync this should be taken care of for you the next time you connect and sync your device. Note that you can do this for multiple files in one pass simply by selecting more than one track before opening the file info dialog box.
Note that there are other settings here as well that you may want to apply for audiobooks such as “Remember Position” and “Skip when Shuffling” which will allow your audiobooks to be bookmarkable and avoid them coming up in a shuffled playback on your iPod. For more information, check out our Complete Guide to iTunes Audiobooks, Podcasts + iTunes U.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- Analyst: ‘iPhone 8’ to feature ‘revolutionary’ front-facing camera with 3D sensors
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10