Importing videos into iMovie for iPad
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I really like your articles, particularly The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats. I have a few questions, however. Firstly, I’m wondering if the iPad specs are identical to the iPhone? If not, what’s different?
I’m looking for a capture device OTHER THAN the iPhone, iPod touch or iPad itself to capture video that will transfer to an untethered iPad and be recognized in iPhoto so that it can be opened and edited with iPad’s iMovie. Do you know of any? So far, the only way I’ve found to come close is to use a Sanyo VPC-PD2BK Dual Camera. It shoots good video and will export to an iPad’s camera roll. However, it seems that it will not, without an extra step, be seen in iMovie. To get it to iMovie I have to send it to myself in a email, which when received will allow me to ‘Save Video’: this step clearly goes thru a conversion process on the iPad—you can see the progress bar! When finished, the ‘converted’ movie now shows up in iMovie on the iPad and can be edited. 3) Since there is a ‘build-in’ video conversion process in the iPad’s Mail, e.g. the iOS it would be neat if Apple or some App guy would make that a feature of the iPad’s iPhoto or iMovie, or even an app. Any idea where to offer such a suggestion?
A: Although the screen resolutions are obviously different, the actual support video formats the iPad and the iPhone 4 are identical. Specifically, from Apple’s iPad Specifications page:
Unfortunately, iMovie for the iPad is considerably more limited in the video formats that it supports. As Apple notes in a knowledgebase article:
Apple unfortunately does not provide any specific information beyond this on what video formats are supported by iMovie on the iPad. Some users have reported success with certain cameras such as the Flip Mino, however since Apple doesn’t specifically support these, it’s possible for this to break in future updates.
While not ideal, the method of converting videos yourself seems to be the best approach to take at this point. There are a number of inexpensive and/or free tools on the App Store such as Splice that can be used to do this more efficiently than having to e-mail videos to yourself. Note that in many cases the free or lower-cost versions of these apps will be more than adequate if all you need is pre-processing for iMovie.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!