Importing Windows Media Audio into iTunes | iLounge Article

Article

Importing Windows Media Audio into iTunes

Just purchased a new iPod?  Upset because you just discovered that your multi-thousand song library of music encoded in Microsoft’s Windows Media Audio (WMA) format from your Windows Media Player past won’t easily load into your new multi-hundred dollar digital audio jukebox?  Many before you have been, but you don’t need to be:  Apple has made dealing with WMA audio very easy with the latest iTunes release, and iLounge is here to help!

Sure, there have always been several methods for getting WMA audio into iTunes and onto an iPod:  If you have the source CD, you can simply re-import the tracks.  If you don’t, it is possible to burn the WMA tracks as an audio CD and re-import them as iTunes-compatible MP3 or AAC audio.  Both of these methods, however, are fiendishly time-consuming—even with a fairly modest music library.  Third party utilities can simplify the otherwise daunting process of mass conversion, but are often unnecessarily obscure, expensive, and unintuitive for digital audio novices.  Not satisfied with allowing any of these less-than-elegant options to serve as the inaugural iTunes/iPod experience for Windows users entrenched in the WMA format, Apple rectified this problem with iTunes 4.5.  No, they didn’t add WMA functionality to the iPod… Sorry.  Rather, they chose to incorporate an extremely easy-to-use WMA conversion feature into iTunes (PC version only).

Using Apple’s WMA converter is, quite literally, as easy as not using it.  That is, the process by which the user adds and converts WMA files to their library is nearly identical to the process by which one would add MP3 or AAC files.  All you need to do is attempt to add the files to your iTunes library, and iTunes will convert the WMA audio into the format selected in iTunes’ Importing preferences.

Let’s explore the process in detail:

First, a caveat:  iTunes’ WMA conversion feature only works for unprotected files.  This means that WMA files legally downloaded from companies such as Real, Napster, and MusicMatch do not apply to this feature.  Use one of the “less-than-elegant” options listed above, if you dare.

To begin, we’ll first need to select an AAC (or MP3… your choice) quality setting for the conversion.  iTunes’ WMA converter will create AAC or MP3 audio files using the quality settings specified in iTunes’ importing preferences.  For information on how to change these, see our article on Importing CDs into iTunes.  Here’s a tip:  Choosing a bitrate much greater than that of your WMA audio file will not increase the quality of your audio (although it may help preserve it).  As always, we recommend you try a few files first to see what your ears prefer.

Next, you’ll need to know where the WMA files are stored on your PC.  Most likely, this is your “My Music” folder, contained within “My Documents.”  If not, you can find the location of your files from within Windows Media Player by right clicking on any file in your “Media Library” and selecting “Properties.”

Once you’ve located your WMA files and selected your audio quality settings, you can proceed to add your WMA files to your iTunes library in one of two ways:

pic

Drag and Drop

You’ve no doubt noticed that Drag and Drop is by far Apple’s favorite method of making things easy.

Navigate to the items you’d like to add to iTunes in Windows Explorer, select them, and drag them into the iTunes Library window or on top of the “Library” icon in iTunes’ Source column.

iTunes’ drag-and-drop Add to Library ability is quite flexible:  You can drag-and-drop any of the following items directly from Windows Explorer:

• Individual WMA Files
  • Multiple WMA Files
  • Folders containing WMA Files
  • Folders containing folders containing WMA Files.
  • ...and so on
pic

Menu Option

If you prefer using the iTunes menu, you most certainly may.

Choose either “Add File to Library…” or “Add Folder to Library…” from the File menu.

Select the files or folders you’d like to add, and click OK.

Upon completing either of the two above actions, you’ll receive the following dialog, which asks you to confirm your intent to convert from WMA to your selected format.  Click “Convert.”

pic

As you can see, the process has been very simple… You’re already done!  iTunes has begun the conversion process, and will continue until it’s finished.  This may take a substantial amount of time, depending on the speed of your computer and the amount of music to be converted.

During the conversion process, a conversion indicator appears in your “Source” column.  Click it, and you can monitor iTunes’ progress as it moves throughout your selection of WMA files.

pic

In the Status Area on top of iTunes, you can monitor iTunes’ progress throughout each individual song (much like when Importing a CD).

pic

When the conversion has finished, you will most likely want to delete your original WMA audio files to save hard drive space.  The iTunes conversion process makes copies of your music, leaving behind the WMA Audio.

Enjoy, and stay tuned for next week’s iPod 101 lesson!

Notes:

• The process of converting from one lossy format to another is not the best way to obtain files with high sound quality.  While it helps if the bitrate of both your source file (WMA) and importing settings (AAC/MP3) are high, the only way to obtain the “best” results is to re-encode directly from the source CD.  Try a few files yourself, and decide whether the (large!) effort of re-importing is worth the (marginal!) increase in sound quality.

Jerrod H. is a Forum Administrator and Contributing Editor for iLounge.

« Using the iTunes Music Store

Using Party Shuffle in iTunes »

Comments

Everysong I’ve ever heard in WMA sucks anyway… yay AAC!

-Jody-

Posted by Jody on August 29, 2004 at 11:51 PM (CDT)

(Thank you for the corrections… fixed!)

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on August 30, 2004 at 6:38 AM (CDT)

What rate do you import your cd’s at?  I was very happy at 128kb, but I decided to switch to 160kb after upgrading from a 3G 20gb to a 4G 40GB.  I am very happy with the decision as the upgrade in overall sonic quality (particularly, less distortion at high-end and warmer, clearer overall sound) has been worth the trade-off in additional storage space.

Posted by ambipod on August 30, 2004 at 11:40 AM (CDT)

Every time I try this it says my files are write protected and wont’ convert.  It seems so simple but I don’t think I am this dumb.  What am I missing?

Posted by Larry on August 30, 2004 at 3:41 PM (CDT)

Larry.  Check to see that your files are not read-only.  You can do this in Windows by selecting the file, then right-clicking and selecting properties.  If the read-only box is checked, uncheck it and click OK.

Maybe that will help.

Sometimes, if you’ve copied songs off of a CD-ROM onto your computer (WMA files from CD), then it keeps the properties the same as they were on the CD (which would be read-only).

Not sure if that was your problem, but I’ve had that happen before.

Posted by bikepodmini on August 30, 2004 at 3:54 PM (CDT)

I used to import at 128 as well.  But i have, since getting my 3G 40G iPod replaced because of a harddrive problem, switched to 224kbps.  The sound comes in great and the files aren’t too large.  A friend of mine says he’s imported above 160 sounds way better hten 128 on dolby surround sound stereo.

Posted by brian on August 30, 2004 at 3:56 PM (CDT)

can you name any third party protected wma convertor program
s?

Posted by ijerry in Glos, UK on August 31, 2004 at 5:06 AM (CDT)

it wont let me convert! it says that i dont have the right windows media player version, although my computer is fairly new! what do i do?

Posted by tomas on August 31, 2004 at 3:19 PM (CDT)

For some reason after the conversion in iTunes takes place songs sound at lower volume. i experimented a bit and found this happens even if u convert to the same format and settings as the original.Does anyone know how to solve this ?

Posted by RKD on August 31, 2004 at 10:22 PM (CDT)

Well, i just got a new iPod and i dont understand wy apple just wont let windows 98 be compatible with my program. i have wmp and all i just cant transfer a song without itunes is there any ther way???????????????? email me at my address .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by Tyler Brownq on September 1, 2004 at 11:04 AM (CDT)

could someone please let me know how to transfer OpenMG files to iTunes? this is so frustrating !! and when i delete it from a file it says ” song not found ” then i can’t even play the song anymore and have to delete the whole thing from my iTunes… how does it even work…

Posted by olivia on September 2, 2004 at 6:07 AM (CDT)

I recently bought Velvet Revolver’s CD Contraband, turns out the record company had the bright idea to put their own program on the CD to rip it, and copy protected it somehow so no other ones could. It ripped it into protected WMA files, so now i can’t convert it, or copy it onto a new CD so i can do what i want with it. Neither of those worked, even after I unchecked the read only box in the properties window. From now on, its iTunes music store for me. Record companies are kicking themselves in the ass, buying them on iTunes cost less. Safer too, i know i can put it on my iPod.

Posted by Jessica on September 2, 2004 at 5:09 PM (CDT)

Jessica.. search on the net how to Remove the hidden driver the CD installs on your pC.. its this driver that trashes the ripping. If you inserted it into your PC and kept SHIFT button down, windows autostart would not have installed the driver and you could have ripped it!!  Good luck

Posted by kiwi B on September 2, 2004 at 5:40 PM (CDT)

Hi, I had the same problem on a friend’s computer that tomas had up there^. My friend just purchased brand new ipod, and tried to drag in WMA files, and it said “you need windows media player 9 blah blah blah” so i checked for updates, but there were none! it was up to date. If you have the answer, an email would be so appreciated, that i would kiss you. Buuut, i dunno if anyone would like that.

Posted by Eric Laukkanen on September 3, 2004 at 12:20 PM (CDT)

I have music files (many, many) on two computers.  How do I get them all on one desktop so I can convert to .aac and use with ipod?

Posted by Ed Kelleher on September 6, 2004 at 7:02 PM (CDT)

Real player purchased tunes, got them on the ipod, and the player list but as a new user I am having a problem where the Itunes playlist does not recognize the songs as authorized.  The only option it provides to authorize is apple password or AOL, and I don’t use either of these systems.  Not sure how to get these songs accepted on itunes. Your comments appreciated.

Posted by james kelly on September 7, 2004 at 10:43 PM (CDT)

Hi, I recently purchased my first ipod 20gb. It is awesome and i am loving it.
The problem I have is i have enough music to fill it up and would like to, but the fact is i dont want to take up so much space on the hard drive on my laptop. As you are aware if i delete some of the music from the itunes library it will delete it from my ipod the next time I connect it . Not to sure if there is a way around this. Would love an anwer if there is one. Thankyou for your time

Posted by Paul Davison on September 7, 2004 at 11:47 PM (CDT)

Hey, regarding the comment by Paul up there about the automatic iTunes update, you can disable that by selecting “Manage songs and playlists manually” in your iPod preferences window in the iTunes. But then, you’ll have to update your iPod manually already.

Posted by Kenneth on September 8, 2004 at 7:49 PM (CDT)

How do I take music from a friends iPod and transfer it to mine. I use iTunes. Please help

Posted by Terry on September 9, 2004 at 7:25 AM (CDT)

I have the same problem as Tomas and Eric above: wrong media player version to convert the tunes. But it seems that no one has been able to suggest a remedy for this… HELP!

Posted by Liz on September 9, 2004 at 10:47 AM (CDT)

This friggin owns! Now I can just transfer these straight to the playlists! Awesome! 4.6 is out now too. Just click and drag.

Posted by Vindicated in Pennsylvania, USA on September 9, 2004 at 1:33 PM (CDT)

What about files in MP3 format in WMP? When I Add Folder to Library it just copies, rather than converting.  If it is WMA obviously it converts it to AAC in my case.  Am I missing something?

Posted by Bruce on September 9, 2004 at 9:27 PM (CDT)

i convert everything to 160kb mp3…including the songs that I bought through RealBloatware when the songs were on sale.  Songs are back to 99 cents = uninstalled RealBloatware.

Posted by hibiscusroto on September 9, 2004 at 9:34 PM (CDT)

For everyone trying to convert WMA format to AAC in iTunes but you get the message that you have the wrong version of Windows Media Player, just download the Windows Media Player Series 9 and open it.  Once you open it, go to Media Library and you’ll get a prompt where you’ll have to find your folder with the WMA formatted music.  Once the new software loads your media library you can then convert to AAC in iTunes.  I’m doing it know and it’s working fine.

Posted by Lisa-Marie on September 9, 2004 at 10:58 PM (CDT)

Just so you all know, you will all later on regret not ripping your CD’s in the highest quality possible. I rip at 320, the highest rate i can get for free. Yes, many of my MP3’s are 7+ MB’s, but at the rate that hard drive space is growing it is not a problem now and certiainly won’t be in the future.

Furthermore, I may be alone on this, but I would prefer all of my music to be MP3, simply because MOST of my music is that way. I would rather have one format and stick with it. MP3 will be around for a very, very long time simply because of how popular it was before WMA and AAC. I wish I could buy music in MP3, I would even pay a premium. But Some say AAC is better, which may be true…If I had a $10,000 stereo. And I don’t.

Just looking out for the general public =)

Posted by me me on September 10, 2004 at 6:18 PM (CDT)

I have a large wma library.  When I try to convert my songs to mp3 with itunes v4.6, my computer will either crash or automatically close itunes.  Microsoft support says this may be a driver problem, but they don’t know what driver or if that is the problem at all.  Can anyone help with some advice?

Posted by JP on September 10, 2004 at 9:21 PM (CDT)

how do i transfer protected muisc to my ipod if i do not have the cd

Posted by ch on September 12, 2004 at 2:14 PM (CDT)

Dear james kelly,
there is indeed a way for you to have a lot more music on your iPod than you have on your computer. All you need to do is turn off the Automatic Sync option in iTunes. That way your iPod will not automatically sychronize with iTunes when plugged in. Search for more info on the apple site about Using iPod as an external hard drive.

Posted by ShowbizzMick in Belgium on September 13, 2004 at 2:56 PM (CDT)

Ehh, I mean Ed Kelleher - didn’t realise the name was UNDERNEATH the post, sorry ;-)

Posted by ShowbizzMick in Belgium on September 13, 2004 at 2:57 PM (CDT)

Hi—I have WMA files at bit rate of 192 kbps which I want convert to AAC.  If I want to preserve the audio quality as much as possible at what bit rate should I set iTunes?  Even though the WMA files are at a high bit rate, will the resulting AAC file have a lower quality?  Will it be significant?
Appreciate your comments.

Posted by alebastardo on September 14, 2004 at 8:28 AM (CDT)

hi,

I’m trying to get files I’ve downloaded from Kazaa onto my mimi iPod.

So far I’ve failed - completely!

Can anyone help me please!!!???

Thanks

Yvonne

Posted by Yvonne on September 15, 2004 at 7:15 AM (CDT)

Anyone have any idea on how to transfer the protected .wma content?  I downloaded the newest version of windows media player then i get the message that the content is protected.  I have the cds and can load them that way, but there must be an easier way.  Help!!!

Posted by Matt on September 15, 2004 at 9:18 PM (CDT)

i can only get my music on my ipod from 1 of my computers i have 4 with music on them. HELPME!!!!!pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee! :)

Posted by Mark on September 16, 2004 at 12:34 PM (CDT)

I have an IPOD and I have about 1200 songs on it, but I keep losing them on I Tunes folder. I see an exclamation mark by some songs. I have spent so long trtung to figure this out. HELP!!!

Ladybug

Posted by Ladybug on September 16, 2004 at 2:39 PM (CDT)

when ever my computer converts well starts to convert it always crashes half way through and i have tried many times. please help me someone

Posted by Ashley on September 18, 2004 at 10:43 AM (CDT)

Can I import cds directly into a playlist?

Also, my cds dont show the artist, the song, or the label.  Is there a way other than handtyping it in?

Posted by will on September 23, 2004 at 8:45 AM (CDT)

Can you pull your songs back off the IPOD into ITUNES?

Posted by Levar on September 24, 2004 at 1:04 PM (CDT)

I’m trying to copy from windows media player and have done all the things suggested here including making all files not read only and it’s still not converting.  How can I tell if my files are protected, they shouldn’t be as they’re all just uploads of my cd collection? What should I do - HELP - I really don’t want to have to upload 100 cds again.

Posted by Emily on September 30, 2004 at 5:13 AM (CDT)

How about copying playlists created on Windows Media Player.  Is there a way to copy songs from a created playlist to your i-tunes library without having to go and find each individual music file on your hard drive?

Posted by Jim on September 30, 2004 at 1:32 PM (CDT)

Yvonne,

I am in the same boat as you. I found that 1/10th of my music collection was transferred to itunes.  Is there an easier way to transfer them without dragging and dropping all the music individually?

Thanks

Manny

Posted by Manny on October 2, 2004 at 1:53 AM (CDT)

Hey I just bought 4th gen ipod, and i can’t get it to transfer my songs onto my ipod. When you plug it in to the usb port, it’s supposed to open itunes and update the ipod. It’s not doing that, and i don’t know another way to update it.
.................anyone?

Posted by jay on October 4, 2004 at 4:42 PM (CDT)

just to let u guyz+gals you can highlite a crap load of songs and drag them all to the libary at once =) just a tip

Posted by steve on October 6, 2004 at 8:36 AM (CDT)

I hate clicking inside a Folders .My Quetion is There a way to Convert with ITunes Without it Placing Songs inside Folders and Just Plain file Name only——example C:Verve-Lucky.mp3

Posted by Eric Alvarado on October 8, 2004 at 6:25 PM (CDT)

I downloaded all my cds onto itunes on my laptop to use with my 4G ipod.My laptop has been damaged in a storm and cant be repaired.  I know that if put itunes onto my new laptop and connect my ipod back to the itunes without any music in the library all my music on the ipod will be wiped. How can I get the music from my ipod back into itunes without doing it all again manually?  Can anybody help me, if not is there a site somewhere that can help me!

Posted by Bex on October 15, 2004 at 5:19 PM (CDT)

iTunes says it converts the files from WMA, but I tricked the iPod into letting me access the hidden music folders on it through Windows Explorer, and much to my surprise, there were many songs on the unit that were WMA files!  Confirmed this by copying them to the hard drive.  Any idea what’s up with that?

Posted by DSA on November 11, 2004 at 8:58 AM (CST)

Bex - could be that iTunes copies and converts the file but doesn’t rename it, so it still has a WMA extension - but is actually an MP3 (or AAC) file. Try playing the converted file in something that doesn’t play WMA (like RealPlayer, IIRC).

Ashley - iTunes should connect to the Gracenote CDDB to determine the CD tracks’ ID3 tags, and you can tell it to do this manually via one of the menus. If that doesn’t work, check that iTunes knows the correct internet settings.

Mark - the exclamation mark means that the file’s been moved or renamed since it was first added to the iTunes library. If you try to play it or see its ID3 tags, iTunes will invite you to find the song file on your hard drive.

Posted by CNash on November 16, 2004 at 9:38 AM (CST)

...I’m not used to these forums. Names at bottom, not top…

So in my last post, the comments were addressed to: DSA, Will and Ladybug, respectively. Sorry!

Posted by CNash on November 16, 2004 at 9:40 AM (CST)

i have a friend that downloaded his i tunes library from his mac to my ipod..however i have a pc…is it possible to convert those files on my ipod to my pc itunes library?

Posted by jaypromoman on November 21, 2004 at 6:09 PM (CST)

Would the quality of converting from WMA to Apple lostless be greater,Since this conversion is possible , and works would the quality be better than MP2 or AAC. cause i’d rather not re-ripp all that again..
Any Ideas?

Posted by nt5ranger in NJ on December 7, 2004 at 12:19 AM (CST)

You did refer to this in your article but I just want to confirm - so if I download files from Napster (which are in WMA). the ONLY way I can transfer them to my iPod is by burning them to CD and then importing back into my computer? That’s ridiculous! Whats that all about?

Posted by jamesuk on December 17, 2004 at 7:08 PM (CST)

Welcome to the world of incompatible digital rights management.

Actually, you can avoid the burning-to-CD step if you use something like Media Center’s transcoding option, which will let you play a track, then record it in real time and re-compress it to a different format.

In fact this is what iTunes is doing when it does a WMA conversion to AAC. But iTunes can’t handle protected WMA files whereas MC can.

Of course, if you convert one lossy form into another then you run a risk of getting some very evident artifacts because different compressions schemes use different compression domains. So the suggestion earlier to save as Apple Lossless is a good one. There will be no further generation quality loss with that option.

There is another less scrupulous option, where you can run a batch cracker that will strip off the DRM from the WMAs. This will let you then run the transcoding through iTunes. The location of such programs is left as an exercise for the reader.

Posted by Demosthenes on December 17, 2004 at 7:28 PM (CST)

hey, jamesuk - and anyone else that wants to CONVERT WMA or PROTECTED FILES TO MP3s, AND MAKE THEM TRANSFERABLE TO AN IPOD - here is a program called Xplay 2, which AUTOMATICALLY converts WMA/ protected files while you copy them to your Ipod.  It’s free to try for 15 days, then $15 to $30; sure beats transferring to CD and back again! Visit: http://www.mediafour.com/products/xplay/freetrial.asp

Posted by Nalsa105 on December 22, 2004 at 6:35 PM (CST)

OK, my son is dying to get an iPod, but is hesitating because of all the music he has downloaded off Napster (legally).  He has been using a Creative Zen Nomad and doesn’t relish burning dozens of cds just to transfer the music.  Is there any easy way (new way) to accomplish this .wma to iPod transfer.

Posted by drax in Chicago on December 27, 2004 at 10:11 PM (CST)

I have the absolute best ipod solution for windows users. Buy the anapod ipod program… this software will integrate itself into the windows explorer so you can get access to you ipod very cool (see http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/) Next buy MP3 XPack… these driver plug-ins for Windows Media Player and Anapod will enable you to drag wma files to the Anapod folders and they will convert to MP3 files automatically. After you install the MP3 XPack go to Anapod options to setup the auto convert feature (http://www.intervideo.com/products/custom/ms/windowsxp/media_pack.jsp). Once the MP3 XPack is installed there will be an driver selection in the rip section of Windows Media Player options. Now you only have to manage ONE music library… it beautiful! Anapod also has a really awesome sync feature that makes transfer super easy. Now you’ll have the best of both world’s… the super cool ipod with all it’s accessories and windows media player. A hugh thank you goes out to the programmers that have made this possible. Have fun, good luck and I know you will be thrilled. This whole solution will only cost you $40 dollars maximum.

Posted by Michael Sandoz in home on January 10, 2005 at 11:19 AM (CST)

I have a large collection of lossless WMA files.  I am attempting to import into iTunes.  I’ve verified that the files are not protected, but iTunes only gets through a couple dozen before the import fails with an unidentified error.  If I delete the file, it will eventually find another “defective” file.  Although I can play the file in windows media player.  Anyone have any ideas?

Posted by rmp on February 24, 2005 at 7:29 AM (CST)

Hi chaps,
I’ve successfully imported all my wma tracks to m4p tracks, but accidentally did it at 128kbps, they were originally 64…Now I’ve gone and deleted my .wma tracks as I have quite a meagre hard drive (40GB)...Is there any way I can change my 128kbps m4p’s back to 64 or am I now stuck with it? Thanks!

Posted by Koosey on April 15, 2005 at 12:33 PM (CDT)

I have had my iPod for a couple years.  I have always used MMJB.  Is there any way to transfer my MMJB library of music over to iTunes so I don’t have to recopy my entire CD collection all over again?  I know it has been a long time since Apple has supported MMJB.  Everyone raves about iTunes, but I have hundreds of CD’s & I really don’t want to have to start over from scratch!  Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED

Posted by dakota in US on June 15, 2005 at 10:27 AM (CDT)

I have my entire CD library on RealPlayer on my computer. I can not figure out how to import the songs to Itunes. I tried dragging and dropping but it will not allow it. I also tried importing them thru Itunes, but foiled again. Any advice would be great. I am beginning to resign myself to having to do it disc by disc again.

Posted by fishmonger28 on December 29, 2005 at 4:19 PM (CST)

When moving songs from Windows Media Player into iTunes you may also need a way to import the ratings and play count. I wrote a small program to import the ratings and play counts from WMP into iTunes. You can download the program from http://wmp2itunes.blogspot.com/ .

Posted by Lancer on June 15, 2006 at 6:55 AM (CDT)

This is all great except iTunes is too stupid to realize the album title and artist is the standard Windows music directory structure.

ANYONE know how to get iTunes to figure this out.

thanks

Posted by keith on July 19, 2008 at 3:02 PM (CDT)

Send me an email if you know the problem but dont spam me any shit i dont fall for it :|

Posted by Nicholas on September 4, 2008 at 8:08 AM (CDT)

I need help converting my music from my P.c to my mac please? I am tried to darg and drop. it will do that, but when i go to play it it does not play. what should I do?

Posted by mike on October 1, 2008 at 4:02 PM (CDT)

I just got an iPod nano and am not able to find a way to hook it into my computer that will allow me to add the music that I have on my computer into it. I am running widows-xp home edition and have my music stored in my d-drive. I have used several other kinds of players and my cell-phone and down loaded onto them. Could you please tell me what I need to do to overcome this problem with my nano?

Posted by Allen Dawedow on November 5, 2008 at 2:29 PM (CST)

hi!!! i have a problem, it wont allow me to drag and drop wma files in my i tune library? can someone help me please

Posted by sabina on March 11, 2009 at 6:11 PM (CDT)

@sabina:
Do you have a PC or a Mac?

Posted by oboewan on March 15, 2009 at 12:43 PM (CDT)

i had i tunes on my pc but now i cant get it to open at all ???

Posted by crissy on April 14, 2009 at 5:15 PM (CDT)

I’m having the same trouble as @sabina. I’m on a mac and I can’t drag and drop the file into iTunes. I know this is an old thread but I’m hoping someone can suggest something else. TIA

Posted by Britiney on June 29, 2009 at 5:11 PM (CDT)

Help!
How do you import songs from a old ipod to a new ipod?
Thanks,
Eli

Posted by lentab on July 6, 2009 at 3:13 PM (CDT)

I have the exact same problem as #61.

“My problem is that I can’t even import any files into my iTunes. I double click on the item I select (using the ‘import file to library…’ option and nothing happens.”

Has anyone figured out how to deal with this????  I can play the songs fine with Windows Media Player, but I want to add them to my iPod.  Any help would be really appreciated!  I’m using a new iMac with Leopard.

Posted by Christy on July 1, 2010 at 3:27 AM (CDT)

i have been downloading music from bearshare since the recent downfall of all that is good (limewire). these songs are in wma format and wont convert using the above process, and i dont feel like burning them to blank discs.

any ideas on how to do this or a fil ahring program that doesnt have wma files that dont convert?

Posted by nick on November 30, 2010 at 12:45 AM (CST)

look, i tried both those ways and neither work. nothing happens at all. i push add folder and nothing happens. most of my music already did the conversion when i first got itunes but there are several certain albums or single songs that just, didnt. and i cant figure out how to get those ones to do it.

Posted by margaret on July 17, 2011 at 11:24 PM (CDT)

I recently got an ipod, so i converted all my songs from wmp to itunes format. I am curious why my music file went from 7gbs(wmb) to 15gbs(itunes). Does anybody have any answers, and is there a way to reduce the size of the files as well?

Posted by Cody on August 27, 2012 at 3:49 PM (CDT)