Including Year field on iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have the year field populated for all of the tracks in my iTunes library. I have an 80 GB iPod and I love the search function, but is there anyway to obtain the track year on my iPod when I’m not in front of my iTunes library?
A: Unfortunately, there is no way to view or search for any fields on the iPod other than the standard fields such as name, artist and album. Further, while you can browse by fields such as Genre and Composer, these are not available to be searched on.
A common trick that many users employ to get access to the “Year” field is to simply embed it into the album or track names in some way. Placing it at the front of an album name will allow you to sort your albums by year, but placing it in parenthesis at the end (ie, “Hold Your Fire (1987)”) will still allow it to be displayed or search on.
Another possibility if you’re simply interested in being able to view the year, you can also embed it within the “Lyrics” field for your tracks.
There are a number of ways you can automatically add the year information into your lyrics or other tags without having to go through them manually. If you’re a Mac user, you can do this via AppleScript, and there are some AppleScripts that can be found at Doug’s AppleScripts for iTunes page and in our AppleScripts Discussion Forum. If you’re a PC user, your options in iTunes itself are a bit more limited, but as long as your tracks are in MP3 format, you can use a tool such as Tag & Rename or MP3Tag to adjust the tags in your MP3 files themselves. Note that changes tags adjusted directly within your MP3 files will not appear in your iTunes library until you either play the track of view its information by selecting File, Get Info.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report confirms legitimacy of at least some of the stolen iCloud credentials being held for ransom
- New (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone SE, and 9.7” iPad now available to order
- Apple Store down again ahead of new iPad, Product(RED) iPhone launch
- Apple acquires automation app Workflow
- Nintendo updates Super Mario Run, makes more courses available for free play
- Apple confirms iCloud and Apple ID systems have not been breached in response to hacker threat
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10