Installing apps on multiple devices
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Based on something I read on the Omni Group website it looks like iTunes apps can be shared. Quote: “Just like music purchased from iTunes, OmniFocus can be installed on multiple iPhone or iPod touch devices.” This leads me to believe that apps I’ve bought for me can be installed on my wife’s iPhone! Is this too crazy to be true?
A: Actually, that is completely true. The iTunes Terms of Service make no distinction between applications purchased from the iTunes App Store and other types of media content. The only exceptions listed are for movie rentals, since these operate differently due to the time-based restrictions.
Provided your wife’s iPhone synchronizes to a computer that is configured for the same iTunes Store account, you can share your purchased applications in much the same way that you can share any other type of purchased content.
Note, however, that since applications cannot be installed manually, you must actually be synchronizing those applications from an authorized computer—you won’t be able to just plug in any iPhone to your computer and drag-and-drop the applications onto it.
If your wife synchronizes her iPhone to a different computer than the one you originally purchased the applications on, simply ensure her computer is authorized for the same iTunes Store account, and then connect your own iPhone to her computer and select File, Transfer Purchases from (your iPhone) from the iTunes menu. This will reverse-sync all purchased content, including applications, from your iPhone back onto her computer. She can then sync those applications directly to her iPhone from there.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!