International iTunes Gift Cards
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I live in Australia. I want to buy an iTunes card in Australia and send it to a friend in the USA as a birthday gift. Will my friend be able to purchase iTunes in the USA with a card that was purchased in Australia?
A: Unfortunately, gift cards and gift certificates are only valid for the iTunes Store in the country in which they were purchased, so a gift card purchased in Australia will only be valid on the Australian iTunes Store. Likewise, even if you were to buy a gift certificate online through the Australian iTunes Store, this would be no more valid in the U.S. iTunes Store than a retail-purchased gift card would.
Your friend in the U.S. could sign up for an account on the Australian iTunes Store using your gift card, although this requires an Australian mailing address, and would technically be in violation of the iTunes Store’s Terms of Sale, which state that the iTunes Store in each country is only for the use of residents of that country.
The only really viable option in this case would be to either have another friend in the U.S. purchase the iTunes Gift Card on your behalf, or to purchase an iTunes Gift card from a third-party seller through a site such as eBay, where many U.S. iTunes Store gift cards are readily available for sale from third-party vendors. Although the Apple Online store does sell gift cards, they will definitely not ship them outside of the U.S. However you might be able to order a gift card through the Apple Online Store and have it shipped directly to your friend in the U.S.—you may want to contact the Apple Online Store for more details in that regard.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Spotify penalizing artists who release Apple Music exclusives
- Apple releases new round of iOS 10 and tvOS 10 betas
- Report: 2017 iPhone to eliminate home button
- Apple to add payment technology to iPhone for transit passes, Apple Pay in Japan
- Apple releases iOS 9.3.5 ‘security update’
- Report: Apple developing its own Snapchat-style social video editing iOS app
- Apple announces Apple Music Festival lineup including Alicia Keys, Britney Spears + more
- Universal calls an end to exclusives amid criticisms that Apple Music is hurting the industry
- Apple reveals some of its upcoming AI advancements for the iPhone
- Apple Music’s royalty rates complicate Spotify’s contract negotiations
- Western Digital My Cloud (OS 3)
- Distil Union Stanley Stand
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected Bluetooth Toothbrush
- Audeze EL-8 Titanium Over-Ear Headphones
- Defined Corp Dome Stand for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Speck StyleFolio Pencil for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Audeze Sine On-Ear Headphone
- First Alert Onelink Wi-Fi Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Logitech Create 9.7” iPad Pro Keyboard Case
- iDevices Outdoor Switch Power Outlet
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app