Internet access from Wi-Fi iPad via iPhone
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have an iPhone 5 and just purchased an iPad Air with Wi-Fi only. I have an adapter that can go from my iPhone to the iPad. Will I be able to access my Internet from my iPhone to the iPad away from my house by tethering? I don’t want to purchase the $20 tethering from AT&T.
A: From a technical point of view, you can definitely tether your iPad to your iPhone for Internet access. Between iOS devices, however, this actually cannot be done with a cable; you would use either a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connection from your iPad to your iPhone. Tethering from a Mac or Windows PC can be done using a USB to Dock Connector or USB to Lightning cable, or can also be done via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.
Tethering is enabled on the iPhone under Personal Hotspot in the iOS Settings app, and is normally simply a matter of switching the option on. Once enabled, the iPhone will appear as a Wi-Fi access point to other nearby devices, which can connect to it using the password shown on the Personal Hotspot screen. Other devices such as your iPad are basically connecting to just another Wi-Fi network, although a special link symbol will be displayed in place of the standard Wi-Fi beacon when using an iPhone Personal Hotspot connection.
The catch, however, is that like almost all cellular features, the availability of Personal Hotspot is determined by your carrier. AT&T does include Personal Hotspot on its newer data plans, but users with the older grandfathered unlimited plans will likely be forced to either pay extra for the feature or switch to one of the newer plans that includes it.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!