Internet access from Wi-Fi iPad via iPhone
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have an iPhone 5 and just purchased an iPad Air with Wi-Fi only. I have an adapter that can go from my iPhone to the iPad. Will I be able to access my Internet from my iPhone to the iPad away from my house by tethering? I don’t want to purchase the $20 tethering from AT&T.
A: From a technical point of view, you can definitely tether your iPad to your iPhone for Internet access. Between iOS devices, however, this actually cannot be done with a cable; you would use either a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connection from your iPad to your iPhone. Tethering from a Mac or Windows PC can be done using a USB to Dock Connector or USB to Lightning cable, or can also be done via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.
Tethering is enabled on the iPhone under Personal Hotspot in the iOS Settings app, and is normally simply a matter of switching the option on. Once enabled, the iPhone will appear as a Wi-Fi access point to other nearby devices, which can connect to it using the password shown on the Personal Hotspot screen. Other devices such as your iPad are basically connecting to just another Wi-Fi network, although a special link symbol will be displayed in place of the standard Wi-Fi beacon when using an iPhone Personal Hotspot connection.
The catch, however, is that like almost all cellular features, the availability of Personal Hotspot is determined by your carrier. AT&T does include Personal Hotspot on its newer data plans, but users with the older grandfathered unlimited plans will likely be forced to either pay extra for the feature or switch to one of the newer plans that includes it.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple acquires automation app Workflow
- Nintendo updates Super Mario Run, makes more courses available for free play
- Apple confirms iCloud and Apple ID systems have not been breached in response to hacker threat
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- Apple reveals(RED) iPhone 7, 7 Plus models, doubles storage of iPhone SE
- Apple drops 32GB iPad mini 4, reduces price of 128GB model and discontinues iPad mini 2
- Apple unveils new upgraded entry-level 9.7” iPad, replacing iPad Air 2
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10