Internet radio for iPod touch
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have just purchased my second iPod touch 16GB. The iPod works okay and I can do all the Internet stuff, etc. One thing I can’t work out, however, is how I set the iPod up to be able to listen to live internet web radio (Norwegian Radio Broadcast). Believe it or not but here in Kosovo city Pristina, where I am working we have Wi-Fi all over town. Unfortunately I was unable to find the solution in your Free iPod book 3.33 or Ask iLounge
A: The iPod touch does not natively support Internet radio, however this feature can be easily added through any of several third-party applications from the iTunes App Store. Some of these applications are free, while others may cost you a couple of bucks.
Our Free iPod Book pre-dates the launch of the iTunes App Store, however our 2009 iPod + iPhone Buyers’ Guide includes a round-up of the top 100 applications for the iPhone and iPod touch, including three Internet radio applications.
Also be sure to check out our article, iPhone Gems: 12 Internet Radio Apps for iPhone + iPod touch for a round-up of most of the Internet radio apps available from the iTunes App Store.
Note that many of the Internet radio apps are designed to deliver content from specific providers, however. If you’re looking for an application that will allow you to “tune-in” to any radio station, you’ll want to check out either VisuaMobile’s allRadio ($1) or Nullriver’s Tuner Internet Radio ($6), both of which allow you to add in any compatible radio station directly by entering its URL.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases fourth developer betas for iOS 9.3.2, tvOS 9.2.1
- Bowers & Wilkins acquired by EVA Automation
- India rejects Apple’s plan to sell used iPhones
- Rumor: Purported iPhone 7 component photo shows headphone jack intact
- Families fight in court over missing teen’s iPhone data
- Court allows police to force woman to unlock iPhone with Touch ID fingerprint
- Coach reportedly releasing bands for Apple Watch
- Invoxia adds Amazon Alexa to Triby
- Apple provides more details on new Apple Music API
- Apple Music for Android adds music videos, Family Plan support
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)