Internet radio for iPod touch
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have just purchased my second iPod touch 16GB. The iPod works okay and I can do all the Internet stuff, etc. One thing I can’t work out, however, is how I set the iPod up to be able to listen to live internet web radio (Norwegian Radio Broadcast). Believe it or not but here in Kosovo city Pristina, where I am working we have Wi-Fi all over town. Unfortunately I was unable to find the solution in your Free iPod book 3.33 or Ask iLounge
A: The iPod touch does not natively support Internet radio, however this feature can be easily added through any of several third-party applications from the iTunes App Store. Some of these applications are free, while others may cost you a couple of bucks.
Our Free iPod Book pre-dates the launch of the iTunes App Store, however our 2009 iPod + iPhone Buyers’ Guide includes a round-up of the top 100 applications for the iPhone and iPod touch, including three Internet radio applications.
Also be sure to check out our article, iPhone Gems: 12 Internet Radio Apps for iPhone + iPod touch for a round-up of most of the Internet radio apps available from the iTunes App Store.
Note that many of the Internet radio apps are designed to deliver content from specific providers, however. If you’re looking for an application that will allow you to “tune-in” to any radio station, you’ll want to check out either VisuaMobile’s allRadio ($1) or Nullriver’s Tuner Internet Radio ($6), both of which allow you to add in any compatible radio station directly by entering its URL.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple creating new London headquarters
- Honeywell debuts Lyric T5 HomeKit-enabled smart thermostat
- Executives talk Apple Music successes and failures
- Apple Q4 earnings call set for October 27
- Sonos speakers available on Apple’s online store today, in Apple Stores next month
- Apple lacks lobbying power in fight with EU
- Apple to offer ‘Spoken Editions’ of written content from top publishers
- Apple working to turn HealthKit into diagnosis tool
- Hackers expose security flaw in iOS 10’s local backups
- Apple releases iOS 10.0.2 to fix headphone controls, iCloud Photo Library
- 808 Audio XS Sport Rugged Wireless Speaker
- Mass Fidelity Core Bluetooth Speaker
- Thought Out Simplex Tablet iPad Stand
- SmartX Galaxy ZEGA Starter Kit
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Leather Case
- Apple Watch Series 2
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Twelve South HiRise 2 for iPhone + iPad
- Nomad Pod Pro for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Sevenhugs hugOne Sleep Monitoring System
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps