Internet radio for iPod touch
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have just purchased my second iPod touch 16GB. The iPod works okay and I can do all the Internet stuff, etc. One thing I can’t work out, however, is how I set the iPod up to be able to listen to live internet web radio (Norwegian Radio Broadcast). Believe it or not but here in Kosovo city Pristina, where I am working we have Wi-Fi all over town. Unfortunately I was unable to find the solution in your Free iPod book 3.33 or Ask iLounge
A: The iPod touch does not natively support Internet radio, however this feature can be easily added through any of several third-party applications from the iTunes App Store. Some of these applications are free, while others may cost you a couple of bucks.
Our Free iPod Book pre-dates the launch of the iTunes App Store, however our 2009 iPod + iPhone Buyers’ Guide includes a round-up of the top 100 applications for the iPhone and iPod touch, including three Internet radio applications.
Also be sure to check out our article, iPhone Gems: 12 Internet Radio Apps for iPhone + iPod touch for a round-up of most of the Internet radio apps available from the iTunes App Store.
Note that many of the Internet radio apps are designed to deliver content from specific providers, however. If you’re looking for an application that will allow you to “tune-in” to any radio station, you’ll want to check out either VisuaMobile’s allRadio ($1) or Nullriver’s Tuner Internet Radio ($6), both of which allow you to add in any compatible radio station directly by entering its URL.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Automatic releases new Automatic Lite version of car monitoring accessory
- Apple releases fourth tvOS 10.0.1 beta
- iOS dev finds unimplemented one-handed keyboard in iOS code
- Apple sends out press invites for ‘Hello Again’ Oct. 27 Mac event
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.1 to developers
- Apple patners with builders to include HomeKit-enabled devices in new homes
- Report about Apple Pay in Japan hints at Oct. 25 release for iOS 10.1
- Apple Pay adds 20+ new U.S. banks and credit unions, MBNA Canada coming ‘mid-2017’
- Misfit launches Phase smartwatch
- ecobee releases ecobee3 lite HomeKit-enabled Smart Thermostat
- Incase Icon, Pop, and Textured Snap for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Philips Hue Motion Sensor
- Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature Headphones
- Tech Armor FlexProtect and Shock Flex for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- SwitchEasy Flash and Fleur for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Blue Microphones Raspberry Mobile Microphone
- Incipio Haven for iPhone 7 and Reprieve Sport for iPhone 7 Plus
- Mophie Hold Force Magnetic Case System for iPhone 7
- Speck Presidio and Tech21 Evo Tactical for iPhone 7
- Belkin Lightning Audio + Charge Rockstar
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps