iOS 7: Nike + iPod, Photo Booth + Voice Memos
Soon after Apple debuted the completely redesigned iOS 7 on June 10, 2013, it became obvious that the iOS user experience has changed enough to merit a public re-introduction—a forward-looking discussion of the updated user interface and integrated apps. Our series on iOS 7 looks at every key section of Apple’s new operating system, starting with setting up iOS devices, the new Lock Screen and Home Screen, then continuing through other major UI elements and built-in apps. For a broad look at all of iOS 7’s changes from iOS 6, check out our big picture look at iOS 7, published on June 10, as well as our articles on iOS 7 setup, the Home Screen, and Lock Screen. Note that some features and graphics may change before iOS 7’s final release.
Nike + iPod
Absent in the first showing of iOS 7, but back in the second beta, is Nike + iPod, a run- and walk-tracking app that can be toggled on and off in the Settings menus of iPhones and iPod touches. Like many of Apple’s redesigned apps, it’s the look, and not how it works, that’s the big difference here. The generations of the app seem to have the exact same capabilities.
You’re still able to separately calibrate a Nike+ Sensor for tracking walking and running, assuming you want the enhanced accuracy of Nike’s shoe-based tracking accessory. Settings menus have received iOS 7-style fonts and dial controls.
Solely included with iPads, Photo Booth is a holdover from the Mac OS X operating system—a cute app primarily designed to let kids play with the iPad’s cameras using filter effects. The iOS 7 version of Photo Booth is substantially the same as its predecessor version, with the same eight realtime filters displaying alongside “Normal” on a 3x3 grid; only the fonts and borders around the live images have changed.
Apple has tweaked the snapshot-grabbing UI to resemble the iOS 7 Camera interface, but otherwise left the functionality unchanged.
Predictably, Apple has nixed Photo Booth’s prior red curtain introduction, which for years served as a quick visual reference to classic photo booths. The app now appears with no more ceremony than other integrated iOS apps.
Also missing from the first beta release of iOS 7, Apple’s Voice Memos is now back for the iPhone and iPod touch. Functionally, it’s very much the same, although the aesthetics are considerably different. Gone is the old-fashioned microphone that previously filled the screen; when recording with iOS 7, you’ll now see a waveform of your voice presented in real time. Audio clips can still be trimmed, and can be shared via AirDrop, Messages, or Mail. Interestingly, the waveform icon displays a shimmering moire effect when you hold down any icon to delete or rearrange apps within iOS 7’s Home Screens.
- Quickly And Wisely Reducing Your iCloud Footprint
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of Apple TV 6.0
- Easing Your Transition To iOS 7
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 7.0
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s 2013 iPhone Lineup, 5c + 5s
- iOS 7: Maps, Passbook, Compass + Notes
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- New apps aim to fix iOS 7 wallpaper issues
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, new giveaway
- Apple quietly releases 74% iOS 7 adoption estimate
- Razer iOS controller leaked
- U.S. Apple Stores now using iBeacon
- Apps: Assassin’s Creed Pirates, Doctor Who: Legacy, Double Dragon Trilogy + Foursquare 7.0
- Apple patent reveals ‘smart dock’ for Siri use
- Bluetooth 4.1 announced as free update for 4.0 devices
- Apple and China Mobile make iPhone deal?
- Startup uses iBeacon to allow Newsstand publication access
- The Joy Factory aXtion Bold for iPad Air
- OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPad Air + iPad mini with Retina display
- Tabu Lumen TL800 App Enabled LED Color Smart Bulb
- Wren V5BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Incipio offGRID Pro Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
- STM Studio for iPad Air
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Air
- Belkin LEGO Builder Case for iPad mini
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store
- Receiving FaceTime calls on multiple devices
- iOS 7: Incorrect display of Company-only contacts