iOS 7: Nike + iPod, Photo Booth + Voice Memos
Soon after Apple debuted the completely redesigned iOS 7 on June 10, 2013, it became obvious that the iOS user experience has changed enough to merit a public re-introduction—a forward-looking discussion of the updated user interface and integrated apps. Our series on iOS 7 looks at every key section of Apple’s new operating system, starting with setting up iOS devices, the new Lock Screen and Home Screen, then continuing through other major UI elements and built-in apps. For a broad look at all of iOS 7’s changes from iOS 6, check out our big picture look at iOS 7, published on June 10, as well as our articles on iOS 7 setup, the Home Screen, and Lock Screen. Note that some features and graphics may change before iOS 7’s final release.
Nike + iPod
Absent in the first showing of iOS 7, but back in the second beta, is Nike + iPod, a run- and walk-tracking app that can be toggled on and off in the Settings menus of iPhones and iPod touches. Like many of Apple’s redesigned apps, it’s the look, and not how it works, that’s the big difference here. The generations of the app seem to have the exact same capabilities.
You’re still able to separately calibrate a Nike+ Sensor for tracking walking and running, assuming you want the enhanced accuracy of Nike’s shoe-based tracking accessory. Settings menus have received iOS 7-style fonts and dial controls.
Solely included with iPads, Photo Booth is a holdover from the Mac OS X operating system—a cute app primarily designed to let kids play with the iPad’s cameras using filter effects. The iOS 7 version of Photo Booth is substantially the same as its predecessor version, with the same eight realtime filters displaying alongside “Normal” on a 3x3 grid; only the fonts and borders around the live images have changed.
Apple has tweaked the snapshot-grabbing UI to resemble the iOS 7 Camera interface, but otherwise left the functionality unchanged.
Predictably, Apple has nixed Photo Booth’s prior red curtain introduction, which for years served as a quick visual reference to classic photo booths. The app now appears with no more ceremony than other integrated iOS apps.
Also missing from the first beta release of iOS 7, Apple’s Voice Memos is now back for the iPhone and iPod touch. Functionally, it’s very much the same, although the aesthetics are considerably different. Gone is the old-fashioned microphone that previously filled the screen; when recording with iOS 7, you’ll now see a waveform of your voice presented in real time. Audio clips can still be trimmed, and can be shared via AirDrop, Messages, or Mail. Interestingly, the waveform icon displays a shimmering moire effect when you hold down any icon to delete or rearrange apps within iOS 7’s Home Screens.
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Adobe dropping Photoshop Touch in favor of more focused apps
- Report: Dual app viewing, multiple logins coming to iPad
- Transit coming to Apple Maps in iOS 9?
- Apple and IBM expand MobileFirst apps to Apple Watch
- Report: Pebble facing financial struggles?
- iOS 9 to include new Home app for HomeKit?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Watch font to iOS 9
- Leak reveals Flow by Outlook, a Microsoft email messaging app for iPhone
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?