iOS 7: Playing tracks by Genre
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I would like to know how to play a music genre in the new iOS 7. I used to be able to shuffle or play a genre in the old operating system. Do you think that this setting has been left out to push us over to iRadio?
A: This is likely simply a consequence of the general redesign of the Music app in iOS 7 designed to make it easier for users to browse by genre. The good news, however, is that there is a workaround.
By default, when you select a genre from the Genres from the More button in the iOS Music app, you will see a list of artists from that particular genre and can drill down further from there to see tracks by a specific artist. While this is convenient for browsing by genre, it doesn’t really help if all you want to do is play a selection of tracks.
The trick is to search by genre instead. Simply swipe down slightly from any screen to access the search field, and begin typing a genre name. You’ll likely find song title, album, and artist results that match as well, but if you scroll down to the bottom of the results list, the genre you typed in should appear there as well. In some cases, the genres will appear briefly at the top before the search completes, so if you’re fast enough, you can tap on the genre name right away without having to scroll down.
Selecting a genre in this manner will display all of the tracks in that particular genre. They still seem to be grouped by album, but oddly all of the albums will show “Unknown Album” as the title, but this appears to be nothing more than cosmetic bug. Selecting any individual track from this sreen will begin playback of everything in that genre, and you can simply toggle the Shuffle option on the Now Playing screen to choose between sequential or shuffled playback.
If anything, however, Apple’s alternative to shuffling directly by genre would be the Genius Mixes that were introduced back in iTunes 9. You will need to enable the Genius feature in iTunes for these to be created, but unless you have an extremely well-organized iTunes library, these mixes will usually provide a much better listening experience.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!