iPad cases for Apple Keyboard, removable keyboards
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I ‘m wondering if there is an iPad 2 case that can fit the Apple Wireless Keyboard so that I can use the case with or without the keyboard, depending on my needs. I know there are many cases with built-in keyboards but I have not seen any with a removable keyboard and I already own the Apple Keyboard. Thanks in advance.
A: Possibly due to the size difference between the two devices, nobody has yet designed a case that holds both the Apple Wireless Keyboard and an iPad. The closest option available in this regard would be the Incase Origami Workstation, which is designed to hold the Apple Wireless Keyboard by itself while also providing a stand compatible with any iPad model.
With the Origami Workstation, you would basically still need to keep the iPad in its own case separately from the keyboard, although several manufacturers do provide sleeve and bag solutions that can be used to carry both together; the Incase Travel Kit Plus for iPad provides one of the more portable sleeve solutions, and of course any number of larger messenger and laptop bags will work for this purpose as well.
Note that there are iPad case solutions with integrated, removable keyboards, however. One great option in this regard is the Adonit Writer 2 Plus which provides an integrated, built-in keyboard that can be early removed and used separately from the case via Bluetooth. The keyboard is naturally a bit smaller than the Apple Wireless Keyboard, but among iPad case keyboards is one of the best ones we’ve seen in terms of key spacing and typing comfort.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple partners with SAP for mobile enterprise solutions
- Apple adds Accessibility section to its online store
- LAPD hacked into iPhone 5s for murder investigation
- More details emerge on Apple Music overhaul
- iPhone tops Time’s list of most influential gadgets
- Kohl’s integrates rewards system with Apple Pay
- Apple hires ex-Nest exec to aid in health initiatives
- Apple loses exclusive ‘iPhone’ trademark in China
- Apple to reveal ‘sweeping changes’ to Apple Music interface at WWDC
- Apple releases fourth developer betas for iOS 9.3.2, tvOS 9.2.1
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)