iPhone 3G and Apple’s Universal Dock
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Is the iPhone 3G compatible with the late-2007 updated release of Apple’s Universal Dock and accompanying (albeit sold separately) component/composite dock-connecting video cables?
Also, are there any other competing video-out type docks which are compatible with iPhone 3G, and if so, how do they compare with Apple’s own product?
- Steve Waters
A: Hi Steve,
Yes, the iPhone 3G works with both Apple’s 2007 Universal Dock and the two sets of Apple AV cables that were released alongside it. Together, the Dock and one set of cables provides an expensive $100 solution for connecting an iPhone 3G, iPhone, or recent iPod to a television set for watching video, as well as controlling playback from afar with an Infrared remote.
Ever since Apple added the requirement that developers include new authentication chips in their iPhone accessories, as well as special iPhone-specific shielding, both the iPhone and iPhone 3G have been rendered incompatible with past video docks and accessories containing video outputs. We’ve reviewed no docks and cables other than Apple’s, though companies such as Scosche and EZGear have released modestly less expensive cables as alternatives. The only non-dock devices that are known to work for iPhone video out are speakers we’ve reviewed with video output ports, typically composite rather than component, and they’ve tended to be okay rather than great. No iPhone-specific portable video display, or dedicated video dock, has yet crossed our desks.
Obviously, our hope is that this changes—and soon—but the last year has been extremely frustrating from an accessory standpoint for iPhone users. What was supposed to be Apple’s “best iPod ever” hasn’t really turned out to be a full-fledged iPod in terms of accessory compatibility, and the iPhone family may never wind up working with as many types of third-party add-ons as the iPods have. Keep your fingers crossed, and we will, too.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!