iPhone 3GS Airplane Mode requirement
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Is it necessary to put my iPhone 3GS in Airplane Mode to use functions of JBL On Time 200ID such as the radio or playing back the iPhone?
A: Connecting your iPhone to an iPod-based accessory that is not specifically manufactured for the iPhone will normally pop-up a warning about needing to set the device into Airplane Mode, however this is simply a recommendation in order to reduce potential interference. The JBL On Time 200ID, for example, is not specifically shielded against interference in the speakers that may occur from the iPhone’s cellular radio, so Apple recommends that the device be set into Airplane Mode, which turns off the cellular phone portion of the iPhone, in order to reduce potential interference. Devices that are specifically labelled as Works-with-iPhone, on the other hand, are shielded against radio interference from the iPhone, and therefore do not present the Airplane Mode request screen.
The iPhone will play back audio in the same manner regardless of whether you choose to enable Airplane Mode or not when connecting to external speakers. If you choose not to enable Airplane Mode you may hear additional static noise from your speakers as a result of interference from the iPhone’s radio, but it won’t prevent the iPhone or the attached speakers from actually playing back your music or radio. On the other hand, with Airplane Mode enabled, you will avoid any potential interference but you will not be able to make or receive phone calls or use the Wi-Fi functions of your device, although audio playback and all non-Internet and phone functions will continue to operate normally.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- New (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone SE, and 9.7” iPad now available to order
- Apple Store down again ahead of new iPad, Product(RED) iPhone launch
- Apple acquires automation app Workflow
- Nintendo updates Super Mario Run, makes more courses available for free play
- Apple confirms iCloud and Apple ID systems have not been breached in response to hacker threat
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- Apple reveals(RED) iPhone 7, 7 Plus models, doubles storage of iPhone SE
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10