iPhone 3GS and charging accessories
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Is it possible and safe to play and/or charge my iPhone 3GS on my Bose docking station that I use with my iPod?
A: It is perfectly safe to connect your iPhone 3GS to any Made-for-iPod Dock Connector accessory such as the Bose SoundDock. However, whether or not your iPhone 3GS will charge depends on the model of Bose docking station that you are using.
Last year, Apple dropped support for the older 12V FireWire charging standard from most of their iPods and the iPhone. This rendered a number of older accessories such as the original Bose SoundDock incompatible for charging purposes. Connecting the iPhone 3GS will display a warning notifying you that charging is not supported with this particular accessory.
Note that on these older speaker docks you can still listen to your iPhone through the speakers, but it will simply not charge from the Dock. In this case, you would either need to charge it separately with a different accessory or you will need to look at purchasing a third-party charging adapter such as the Scosche PassPort (iLounge rating: B) or Griffin Charge Converter (iLounge rating: B+).
Further, unless the accessory is specially made for the iPhone you will likely also receive a warning message warning you that you may receive interference from the cellular radio and prompting you to turn on Airplane Mode to avoid this.
Enabling Airplane Mode turns off the cellular radio on your iPhone, which will prevent interference with the speakers, but of course you will not be able to receive phone calls or data while listening to your iPhone. Note that this is only a recommendation, however; Airplane Mode is not required to use your speakers, and whether or not you hear any interference will depend on a number of factors, most notably whether you are using a 3G or EDGE connection; interference over GPRS or EDGE data connections is significantly more pronounced than over a 3G connection.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!