iPhone 3GS and charging accessories
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Is it possible and safe to play and/or charge my iPhone 3GS on my Bose docking station that I use with my iPod?
A: It is perfectly safe to connect your iPhone 3GS to any Made-for-iPod Dock Connector accessory such as the Bose SoundDock. However, whether or not your iPhone 3GS will charge depends on the model of Bose docking station that you are using.
Last year, Apple dropped support for the older 12V FireWire charging standard from most of their iPods and the iPhone. This rendered a number of older accessories such as the original Bose SoundDock incompatible for charging purposes. Connecting the iPhone 3GS will display a warning notifying you that charging is not supported with this particular accessory.
Note that on these older speaker docks you can still listen to your iPhone through the speakers, but it will simply not charge from the Dock. In this case, you would either need to charge it separately with a different accessory or you will need to look at purchasing a third-party charging adapter such as the Scosche PassPort (iLounge rating: B) or Griffin Charge Converter (iLounge rating: B+).
Further, unless the accessory is specially made for the iPhone you will likely also receive a warning message warning you that you may receive interference from the cellular radio and prompting you to turn on Airplane Mode to avoid this.
Enabling Airplane Mode turns off the cellular radio on your iPhone, which will prevent interference with the speakers, but of course you will not be able to receive phone calls or data while listening to your iPhone. Note that this is only a recommendation, however; Airplane Mode is not required to use your speakers, and whether or not you hear any interference will depend on a number of factors, most notably whether you are using a 3G or EDGE connection; interference over GPRS or EDGE data connections is significantly more pronounced than over a 3G connection.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10