iPhone 5/5s docks and case compatibility
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Are there any docks that currently will fit an iPhone 5S with the new Apple leather case?
A: The official iPhone 5s Dock (iLounge Rating: B-) released by Apple last week is, rather ironically, not compatible even with Apple’s own iPhone 5/5s leather case.
Third-party Lightning Dock solutions have been available for a few months, and any docking solution designed for the iPhone 5 will work just fine with the iPhone 5s, but unfortunately almost all third-party docks (and speakers) with integrated Lightning connectors do not provide case compatibility either due to the connector simply not being long enough to fit into the Lightning port through the bottom of a case.
In fact, the only options we’ve seen that provide for case compatibility use the Apple Lightning cable as the actual connector and provide a physical dock or base to hold the cable.
The Twelve South HiRise for iPhone (iLounge Rating: A-) is our favourite among these both in terms of design and versatility. You’ll need to supply your own Lightning cable as the actual docking element, but this isn’t really any different in principle from Apple’s own iPhone 5s Dock, which incorporates an integrated Lightning connector but still requires you to provide your own cable to connect from the rear of the dock to your computer or charger.
Belkin’s Charge + Sync Dock with Audio Port for iPhone 5 (iLounge Rating: B-) is another option that takes a similar approach of simply providing a passthrough space for a Lightning cable and audio cable. Be careful not to confuse this one with Belkin’s Charge + Sync Dock with iPhone 5, as the latter includes a built-in Lightning connector that does not provide case compatibility.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases tvOS 10.1.1, watchOS 3.1.3
- Apple releases iOS 10.2.1
- Foxconn considering $7B investment in ‘highly automated’ U.S. facility for Apple
- KGI: 3D Touch upgrade coming in new iPhone, Touch ID and facial recognition upgrades in future model
- Apple files lawsuit accusing Qualcomm of withholding patent royalties
- Apple releases updated iOS Developer Design Resources
- Apple’s exclusive audiobook deal with Audible ends in Europe following EU antitrust scrutiny
- Nintendo officially announces Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS, coming Feb. 2
- Rumor: Apple working on second-generation Apple Pencil
- GarageBand 2.2 adds Logic Pro X integration, Alchemy synth, Multi-Take Recording
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10