iPhone and car integration
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: If my iPhone 3G is playing music through my car stereo connected via a mini stereo cable to the stereo’s auxiliary jack, will I still be able to receive phone calls on my Bluetooth headset or handsfree device in the car? What will happen when I receive a call while music is playing?
A: The iPhone music playback and phone audio are handled separately in this case, so you can easily listen to your iPhone music through the headphone jack or a Dock Connector based audio accessory and continue to use your Bluetooth headset or handsfree accessory to make and receive phone calls.
When a call comes in, the music will fade down and the iPhone will ring as it normally would. Answering the incoming call from your Bluetooth headset or handsfree kit will route the phone call audio through the Bluetooth accessory and the music will remain paused while the call is in progress. When you hang up the iPhone will automatically resume playback by fading the music back up to its previous volume.
Note that if you answer the call from the iPhone screen itself, the call audio will not be sent to your Bluetooth accessory by default, but will use the iPhone’s audio input and output, meaning that you will likely hear the call audio through your stereo speakers and the iPhone mic will be used to pick up your voice.
The same process also occurs when dialing an outbound call from the iPhone. You do not need to pause your music playback before making a call—simply place the call and the iPhone will fade down and pause the music while your call is in progress.
For more information on how this all works, be sure to check out our Complete Guide to iPhone Car Integration.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Honeywell debuts Lyric T5 HomeKit-enabled smart thermostat
- Executives talk Apple Music successes and failures
- Apple Q4 earnings call set for October 27
- Sonos speakers available on Apple’s online store today, in Apple Stores next month
- Apple lacks lobbying power in fight with EU
- Apple to offer ‘Spoken Editions’ of written content from top publishers
- Apple working to turn HealthKit into diagnosis tool
- Hackers expose security flaw in iOS 10’s local backups
- Apple releases iOS 10.0.2 to fix headphone controls, iCloud Photo Library
- Report: Apple’s Siri home hub has reached the prototype stage
- Mass Fidelity Core Bluetooth Speaker
- Thought Out Simplex Tablet iPad Stand
- SmartX Galaxy ZEGA Starter Kit
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Leather Case
- Apple Watch Series 2
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Twelve South HiRise 2 for iPhone + iPad
- Nomad Pod Pro for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Sevenhugs hugOne Sleep Monitoring System
- Kanex GoPower Watch Portable Battery for Apple Watch
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps