iPhone and car integration
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: If my iPhone 3G is playing music through my car stereo connected via a mini stereo cable to the stereo’s auxiliary jack, will I still be able to receive phone calls on my Bluetooth headset or handsfree device in the car? What will happen when I receive a call while music is playing?
A: The iPhone music playback and phone audio are handled separately in this case, so you can easily listen to your iPhone music through the headphone jack or a Dock Connector based audio accessory and continue to use your Bluetooth headset or handsfree accessory to make and receive phone calls.
When a call comes in, the music will fade down and the iPhone will ring as it normally would. Answering the incoming call from your Bluetooth headset or handsfree kit will route the phone call audio through the Bluetooth accessory and the music will remain paused while the call is in progress. When you hang up the iPhone will automatically resume playback by fading the music back up to its previous volume.
Note that if you answer the call from the iPhone screen itself, the call audio will not be sent to your Bluetooth accessory by default, but will use the iPhone’s audio input and output, meaning that you will likely hear the call audio through your stereo speakers and the iPhone mic will be used to pick up your voice.
The same process also occurs when dialing an outbound call from the iPhone. You do not need to pause your music playback before making a call—simply place the call and the iPhone will fade down and pause the music while your call is in progress.
For more information on how this all works, be sure to check out our Complete Guide to iPhone Car Integration.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple Store app update allows purchases from Apple Watch
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple reveals cause of unexpected iPhone 6s shutdowns
- Report: 99 percent of fake Apple chargers found to be unsafe
- Apple offering battery replacements for iPhone 6s models with ‘unexpected shutdown issues’ (Updated)
- Report: Fitbit to acquire Pebble
- Apple releases statement on iCloud Calendar spam
- Apple sending out drones to improve Maps data, adding interior building maps
- Tim Cook allegedly tells customer AirPods to ship in ‘next few weeks’
- Apple Pay reportedly launching in Spain tomorrow
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Scosche BoomBottle H2O+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Thermos Connected Hydration Bottle with Smart Lid
- Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Creative iRoar Go Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10