iPhone and car integration
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: If my iPhone 3G is playing music through my car stereo connected via a mini stereo cable to the stereo’s auxiliary jack, will I still be able to receive phone calls on my Bluetooth headset or handsfree device in the car? What will happen when I receive a call while music is playing?
A: The iPhone music playback and phone audio are handled separately in this case, so you can easily listen to your iPhone music through the headphone jack or a Dock Connector based audio accessory and continue to use your Bluetooth headset or handsfree accessory to make and receive phone calls.
When a call comes in, the music will fade down and the iPhone will ring as it normally would. Answering the incoming call from your Bluetooth headset or handsfree kit will route the phone call audio through the Bluetooth accessory and the music will remain paused while the call is in progress. When you hang up the iPhone will automatically resume playback by fading the music back up to its previous volume.
Note that if you answer the call from the iPhone screen itself, the call audio will not be sent to your Bluetooth accessory by default, but will use the iPhone’s audio input and output, meaning that you will likely hear the call audio through your stereo speakers and the iPhone mic will be used to pick up your voice.
The same process also occurs when dialing an outbound call from the iPhone. You do not need to pause your music playback before making a call—simply place the call and the iPhone will fade down and pause the music while your call is in progress.
For more information on how this all works, be sure to check out our Complete Guide to iPhone Car Integration.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple Music creative team discusses the service’s exclusives, future
- Apple raising UK App Store prices by more than 25 percent
- Iovine fuels speculation about Apple’s interest in scripted TV shows
- Report: ‘iPhone 8’ to include upgraded water resistance
- U.S. appeals court resurrects App Store antitrust lawsuit against Apple
- Apple increases maximum tvOS app size to 4GB
- Apple releases fourth iOS 10.2.1 beta
- Apple looking to produce original TV content for Apple Music subscribers
- FBI releases heavily redacted information about cracking iPhone
- Apple partners with Tresorit to offer encryption option to CareKit developers
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10