iPhone and SIM card contacts
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: After importing my contacts from my SIM card on my new iPhone, and cleaning up the contact information, do these changes get saved back on my SIM card? Meaning if I import my contacts again, am I going to need to clean them up again? Further, when adding a new contact, will it auto-save onto my SIM card? My old SE 790a has the ability to automatically copy new contacts to my SIM card, but I can’t find this function on the iPhone.
A: Unfortunately, the iPhone provides only for the ability to import from your SIM card—it does not actually write anything back to the SIM card. This means that any changes you make to the contacts on your iPhone itself will not be saved to your SIM card, nor will any new contacts you add.
There are some unofficial apps available that do provide SIM card contact management capabilities, but these will only work if you have jailbroken your iPhone—they are not available through the iPhone App Store. Further, be aware that SIM card contact storage is quite limited in most cases in terms of the types of data that can be stored. While names and phone numbers can certainly be saved to the SIM card, you would likely not have information like e-mail addresses and street addresses stored on the SIM card, and in fact most SIM cards only allow a single phone number per contact.
Your best bet, once you have your contacts sorted out, is to sync them with a desktop application such as Windows Address Book or Microsoft Outlook (if you’re on Windows) or the Mac OS X Address Book if you’re a Mac user. This will ensure that you have a backup of this information somewhere other than your SIM card.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!