iPhone battery life
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just got a new iPhone 3GS and I want to watch movies on an 8-hour plane trip. Any suggestions? Battery life is much less than my old iPhone.
A: For using your iPhone to watch movies during a long plane trip, the simplest thing to do is ensure that it is in “Airplane Mode” and to keep the screen brightness adjusted as low as possible. The major sources of power consumption on the iPhone are the cellular, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi radios and the display backlight. We performed some battery tests in our iPhone 3GS Review which indicated that you should be able to easily get between 7 and 8 hours of battery life even with the cellular and Wi-Fi radios turned on and your screen brightness at 50% and volume level at 50%. Our tests following Apple’s methodology of enabling call forwarding and turning “Ask to join Wi-Fi Networks” off saw an increase in battery life to 10 hours, since the Wi-Fi and cellular radios are more dormant in this mode. In Airplane Mode you should easily get 10 hours of video playback.
That having been said, getting off the plane with an iPhone that’s nearly drained of power is not likely going to be very useful. If you plan to travel with your iPhone, we would strongly recommend picking up an external iPhone battery pack such as the FastMac TruePower IV Universal Battery Charger (iLounge rating: B+), Just Mobile Gum Pro Portable USB Power Pack (iLounge rating: A-) or Mophie Juice Pack Air (iLounge rating: B). Each of these has a slightly different form factor and price, but generally if you’re looking for maximum charging power, the TruePower IV at 3300 mAh and Gum Pro at 4400 mAh are the best we’ve seen, easily providing 3-4 full charges of the iPhone from a completely dead battery. On the other hand, the Mophie Juice Pack Air is designed for those who are more concerned with a smaller and less obtrusive case-style battery that can be left on the iPhone, providing only 1200 mAh, or basically a single full charge of the iPhone’s own 1150 mAh battery.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Sonos speakers available on Apple’s online store today, in Apple Stores next month
- Apple lacks lobbying power in fight with EU
- Apple to offer ‘Spoken Editions’ of written content from top publishers
- Apple working to turn HealthKit into diagnosis tool
- Hackers expose security flaw in iOS 10’s local backups
- Apple releases iOS 10.0.2 to fix headphone controls, iCloud Photo Library
- Report: Apple’s Siri home hub has reached the prototype stage
- Apple acquires machine learning company Tuplejump
- Apple releases iOS 10.1 public beta
- iOS 10.1 beta adds ‘Portrait’ Depth of Field effect
- Mass Fidelity Core Bluetooth Speaker
- Thought Out Simplex Tablet iPad Stand
- SmartX Galaxy ZEGA Starter Kit
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Leather Case
- Apple Watch Series 2
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Twelve South HiRise 2 for iPhone + iPad
- Nomad Pod Pro for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Sevenhugs hugOne Sleep Monitoring System
- Kanex GoPower Watch Portable Battery for Apple Watch
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps