iPhone battery life
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just got a new iPhone 3GS and I want to watch movies on an 8-hour plane trip. Any suggestions? Battery life is much less than my old iPhone.
A: For using your iPhone to watch movies during a long plane trip, the simplest thing to do is ensure that it is in “Airplane Mode” and to keep the screen brightness adjusted as low as possible. The major sources of power consumption on the iPhone are the cellular, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi radios and the display backlight. We performed some battery tests in our iPhone 3GS Review which indicated that you should be able to easily get between 7 and 8 hours of battery life even with the cellular and Wi-Fi radios turned on and your screen brightness at 50% and volume level at 50%. Our tests following Apple’s methodology of enabling call forwarding and turning “Ask to join Wi-Fi Networks” off saw an increase in battery life to 10 hours, since the Wi-Fi and cellular radios are more dormant in this mode. In Airplane Mode you should easily get 10 hours of video playback.
That having been said, getting off the plane with an iPhone that’s nearly drained of power is not likely going to be very useful. If you plan to travel with your iPhone, we would strongly recommend picking up an external iPhone battery pack such as the FastMac TruePower IV Universal Battery Charger (iLounge rating: B+), Just Mobile Gum Pro Portable USB Power Pack (iLounge rating: A-) or Mophie Juice Pack Air (iLounge rating: B). Each of these has a slightly different form factor and price, but generally if you’re looking for maximum charging power, the TruePower IV at 3300 mAh and Gum Pro at 4400 mAh are the best we’ve seen, easily providing 3-4 full charges of the iPhone from a completely dead battery. On the other hand, the Mophie Juice Pack Air is designed for those who are more concerned with a smaller and less obtrusive case-style battery that can be left on the iPhone, providing only 1200 mAh, or basically a single full charge of the iPhone’s own 1150 mAh battery.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!