iPhone screen goes blank when on a call
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have an 8GB iPhone. When I am on the phone for more than 30 seconds the screen goes black. I cannot hang up or do anything. I have to wait for the phone to figure out that I am off or the other person to hang up for the menu screen to return. The screen is completly black so you do not see the end call option. the home button at the center does not respond or work. This is also happening to my friend’s phone. Any suggestions?
A: The most likely cause of this problem is the iPhone’s proximity sensor that is used to turn off the screen when you hold the iPhone up to your ear during a phone call. This sensor is only active while you are on an actual phone call, and is triggered by the proximity of an external object to the earpiece (at the top of the iPhone). When this sensor is triggered, the iPhone screen goes blank the and is disabled to prevent accidental input from brushing up against your face.
Since the sensor is only active during an actual phone call, when the other party hangs up, the sensor is disabled, returning the iPhone to normal operation.
This sensor is located immediately above the actual iPhone earpiece, and is triggered by any object within about a one-inch proximity (you can find more information on Apple’s iPhone page at http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/index.html#sensor). iPhone cases that block this area could cause the sensor to trigger even when the phone is away from your face, as could significant dirt or smudging in this area. Normally a case should not be a problem as the sensor is not triggered if it’s already covered when you begin a phone call, but it’s possible for the top of the case to trigger the iPhone sensor if it moves even slightly. If you are using a case, try using the iPhone without the case and see if this behavior changes.
It should also be noted that this sensor is inactive when using speakerphone mode or wired or Bluetooth headsets, so this can be used to determine whether the proximity sensor is actually the problem.
If this is occurring without any obvious obstructions on the upper portion of the iPhone, then it is possible the proximity sensor itself is defective and you should look at getting the iPhone serviced.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!