iPhone screen remains active during calls
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have an iPhone 4 and when I make calls I find that as I have my face against the screen I end up making other calls and cutting people off and many other things I do not want to happen as I cannot see how you can guard the screen against unwanted actions. Can anyone tell me how to activate a key guard or something as I have tried everything including the iPhone manual! Thank you.
A: The iPhone has a proximity sensor that should turn the screen off and disable touch input entirely when you are holding it up against your head. This sensor is hidden behind the glass near the earpiece and should normally activate during a phone call when any object is within about an inch or two of the earpiece area. This feature is designed specifically to prevent the problem that you are encountering.
Note that you should avoid placing anything over the screen near the earpiece, such as a wrap-around case or highly opaque screen films as these can affect the reliability of the proximity sensor.
Also, some iPhone 4 units unfortunately had a problem where the proximity sensor wasn’t activating consistently. This issue was supposed to be resolved in the iOS 4.1 update released last week, so if you are still running iOS 4.0 on your iPhone you should connect to iTunes and update to the latest version to see if this fixes the problem.
If you are running iOS 4.1 and are still having this issue even on an uncovered screen, this may indicate a hardware problem with the proximity sensor and you should look into getting the iPhone serviced.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Families fight in court over missing teen’s iPhone data
- Court allows police to force woman to unlock iPhone with Touch ID fingerprint
- Coach reportedly releasing bands for Apple Watch
- Invoxia adds Amazon Alexa to Triby
- Apple provides more details on new Apple Music API
- Apple Music for Android adds music videos, Family Plan support
- Icahn pulls out of Apple over China concerns
- Apple launches CareKit, with four apps debuting today
- Alleged schematics for iPhone 7 ‘Pro’ show up in Japanese magazine
- Nintendo bringing Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing to iOS
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)