iPhone upgrade eligibility
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I bought my iPhone 4 back in July last year with a two-year contract for AT&T. Since Apple didn’t announce the iPhone 5/4S last month, what are my options to get the next iPhone? Would I have to cancel my current contract, or what?
A: Regardless of when Apple chooses to release the next iPhone, your options are going to be dictated by your carrier—in this case, AT&T. The iPhone launch date doesn’t really have any bearing on this if you’re still under contract, and it will be up to your carrier whether or not they want to make any deals for existing contract users. Last year, when the iPhone 4 was released, AT&T offered early upgrade eligibility for users who were close to the end of their contract, but it’s impossible to know for certain whether this would be an option again, since the company is of course under no obligation to do this.
Basically, you’re going to have to wait and see what your carrier is willing to offer you when the next iPhone comes out. You may have the option of paying a slightly higher price to upgrade it on the same contract or you may have to wait until your contract is over before getting the best upgrade price. You can of course also simply choose to purchase the iPHone at full price, which has always been an option. As an added incentive to that, Apple is now selling unlocked iPhone 4 models in the U.S. suggesting that the same option may be available for the next model as well.
Note that cancelling your contract outright is rarely a viable option since the cost and inconvenience of doing so often ends up being comparable to the full price of a non-contract iPhone anyway. In situations where you have only a few months left on your contract, the early cancellation fees may be smaller, but in this case it’s also generally possible to work out a deal with your carrier, assuming they’re not already offering a promotional deal anyway.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple rolling out ‘Today at Apple’ educational courses starting in May
- Smart home device maker iDevices acquired by Hubbell
- Apple delays ‘Carpool Karaoke’ release to ‘later this year’
- Dutch court rules Apple can’t replace broken iPads with refurbished models
- Chinese blog claims Apple is only releasing two iPhone 8 models, no iPhone 7s or 7s Plus
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3.2, watchOS 3.2.2, and tvOS 10.2.1
- Images claim to show iPhone 8 prototype with glass back, vertical camera
- Apple works on alternative power sources, new uses for waste heat in Denmark data center
- Training documents reveal safety details about Apple’s self-driving car system
- Supply shortfalls of upgraded components may delay iPhone 8 production to October/November
- iDevices Wall Switch
- iDevices Wall Outlet
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartSocket for Apple HomeKit
- Sony MDR-1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
- FiiO i1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter
- Blue Ella Headphones
- Apple iPad (Fifth-Generation)
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10