iPhone v2.0 and TV Out accessories
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: It appears that people are saying that the AV cables made for the 2007 iPod models are not working correctly with the iPhone and iPod touch v2.0 software. I am aware that older cables do not work with the iPhone or iPod touch, but I am talking about cables that were known to work with the original iPhone. Have you heard this, and if so, does Apple have a response? Has Apple already figured out how to stop outside firms from providing AV cables for these devices?
A: There appears to be some variation in the quality and compatibility of many third-party accessories with the iPhone 3G, specifically. Whether these are being caused by the v2.0 software or are due to hardware differences in the iPhone 3G is not clear at this point, but it would seem to be a random compatibility issue with the authentication handshaking rather than some deliberate incompatibility created in the iPhone/iPod touch v2.0 firmware.
Most of the problems that we have found in our own testing have been mostly related to the iPhone not always detecting a compatible accessory immediately after connection and sometimes popping up the “Accessory not Compatible” nag screen. This occurs on a variety of accessories ranging from iPhone speakers to car chargers. If this appears when connecting a video accessory, the video output feature will not work, and the accessory should be disconnected and reconnected to try again.
Other than this inconsistency in some accessories, however, we have not observed any problems with video out compatibility on the v2.0 firmware on any of the accessories that we have tested. Apple’s own cables and docks naturally work completely as expected, as do many other third-party accessories designed to support video output on the 2007 iPod models.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- Apple reveals(RED) iPhone 7, 7 Plus models, doubles storage of iPhone SE
- Apple drops 32GB iPad mini 4, reduces price of 128GB model and discontinues iPad mini 2
- Apple unveils new upgraded entry-level 9.7” iPad, replacing iPad Air 2
- Apple Store going down for ‘maintenance’ tomorrow morning, sparking rumors of product launch
- Politicians in New Zealand raise alarm about Apple’s tax arrangements
- Fabricate announces Nearbuds for AirPods
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10