iPhone v2.0 and TV Out accessories
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: It appears that people are saying that the AV cables made for the 2007 iPod models are not working correctly with the iPhone and iPod touch v2.0 software. I am aware that older cables do not work with the iPhone or iPod touch, but I am talking about cables that were known to work with the original iPhone. Have you heard this, and if so, does Apple have a response? Has Apple already figured out how to stop outside firms from providing AV cables for these devices?
A: There appears to be some variation in the quality and compatibility of many third-party accessories with the iPhone 3G, specifically. Whether these are being caused by the v2.0 software or are due to hardware differences in the iPhone 3G is not clear at this point, but it would seem to be a random compatibility issue with the authentication handshaking rather than some deliberate incompatibility created in the iPhone/iPod touch v2.0 firmware.
Most of the problems that we have found in our own testing have been mostly related to the iPhone not always detecting a compatible accessory immediately after connection and sometimes popping up the “Accessory not Compatible” nag screen. This occurs on a variety of accessories ranging from iPhone speakers to car chargers. If this appears when connecting a video accessory, the video output feature will not work, and the accessory should be disconnected and reconnected to try again.
Other than this inconsistency in some accessories, however, we have not observed any problems with video out compatibility on the v2.0 firmware on any of the accessories that we have tested. Apple’s own cables and docks naturally work completely as expected, as do many other third-party accessories designed to support video output on the 2007 iPod models.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!