iPod Adventures in the Middle East: Part I | iLounge Article

Article

iPod Adventures in the Middle East: Part I

By T-Slice

Well after about a week my ‘Big Boy’ 30GB iPod has arrived. I have wanted an iPod ever since I heard of the plans to make it. Now with a decent job locked down I made the move and secured the best purchase of my life. I am currently working in Amman Jordan as a contractor for the U.S. Army getting ready to move into Iraq. I am also an avid visitor of the iLounge website and when I was approached with the offer of doing an article about iPod in both Jordan and Iraq, I jumped at the chance.

pic

‘T-Slice’ posing with his new iPod 30GB. There are two A1 Abrams tanks
and a Bradley fighting vehicle in the background to the left.

I have just returned to Jordan from a week in the states after buying my new iPod. The work site is in the middle of nowhere. I look to my left and I see sand, I look to my right and I see sand, I look back

« MWNY03: A look at iPod accessories

Switching from MP3 to AAC Without Losing Your Mind »

Comments

I live in Kuwait and I use my iPod in temperatures that are also around 132, maybe even more. I havent experienced a problem, even though I am paranoid something might happen… but since I’ve gotten my 15 gig, 3rd gen. iPod, the weather hasnt had an affect on it…. *knocks on wood*

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 23, 2003 at 2:03 PM (CDT)

One would think that iPod would do OK in 130+ degree envrionments. Remember that it uses a hard disk, and if you ever plugged one into a computer for a while, it gets REALLY HOT cause the HD is spinning around, and you know how hot hard disks get. This is internal heat, and it does fine, so it should do just as well when exposed to an external heat source (the warm air).

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 24, 2003 at 12:32 PM (CDT)

Well,

one might “think”

but now you “know”.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 24, 2003 at 4:40 PM (CDT)

I’m surprised the screen didnt go funyn because I know that living in UK when it was a cold day my screens ink ran alittle at the bottom so for a short while it was just blue at the bottom, but sooned returned after I started listening to music and heating the thing up.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 24, 2003 at 7:59 PM (CDT)

the heat is different then the cold, so the effects would also be different, dont u think? The temperatures here will rise to around 150 during the summer, I wonder if anything will happen….

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 25, 2003 at 1:35 AM (CDT)

what location are you at Patrick?  Let us know how iPod does!

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 25, 2003 at 9:01 AM (CDT)

Do you have the updated firmware for your 3rd Gen iPOD? I doubt you do since the photos have to be more than 1 week old ( update came out 3 days ago ). Hard to believe the 30gb worked perfectly, as there are dozens of known bugs.

Great article never the less, i love the photos ;)

btw, i dont support the war, Canada rules!

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 25, 2003 at 3:15 PM (CDT)

I’m by Kuwait City. I’ll be going to Lebanon in a month or so. I don’t believe the temperatures over is as extreme as the temp. here in Kuwait, but its has a lot of humidity and I’m sure the temperatures reach 130+ but not as high as 150. Hopefully nothing happens to my iPod… i love my iPod!!

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 25, 2003 at 3:34 PM (CDT)

Stasyna,

I love the war you should really think about getting into it, it’s the newest thing.  Kidding, I don’t support war either but I support the troops that have to handle it.  Thanks for your response, more pics are to follow.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 25, 2003 at 4:58 PM (CDT)

Keep us posted Patrick.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 25, 2003 at 5:00 PM (CDT)

hey T-slice, where r u now? Amman?

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 25, 2003 at 5:53 PM (CDT)

No I am close to the Iraq border. near safawi.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 25, 2003 at 8:15 PM (CDT)

I just realized that I didn’t smile in any of the pictures.  It was after work and I was tired. I’m not as mean as I look ;)  Next time I’ll keep out of the pics and just show the star of the show….iPod.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 25, 2003 at 8:19 PM (CDT)

oh. my sister had to go to Um Qasr for the company she works for. They had to record some footage or something like that. So how is it there? anything interesting?

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 25, 2003 at 8:20 PM (CDT)

U should not go into Irak. No American should be in Irak. This war was against international laws. the troups are not responsible for it, but every soldier is responsible for his deeds, as is everybody. So, tslice, if you go to Irak, you are, a whee bit, responsible for the suffering of the Irakis. They suffered enough already from Saddam. Go home…

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 26, 2003 at 2:34 PM (CDT)

noname, this isnt a political article, it has nothing to do with international laws or anything. its about the iPod, so lighten up dude. t-slice is just here to tell us about how his iPod is doing, not his political views. :D

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 26, 2003 at 2:37 PM (CDT)

Thank you Patrick. I agree that this article is about iPod, and not about politics. But I understand and respect nonames comments and his views. He can feel free to send his comments to my .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Now more about iPod!

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 26, 2003 at 3:59 PM (CDT)

no problem t-slice. just wondering, what type of computer are u using?

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 26, 2003 at 4:02 PM (CDT)

powerbook g4 12inch

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 26, 2003 at 4:05 PM (CDT)

nice. u should take a picture of ur powerbook and ur iPod in the middle of the desert, with nothing around. now that’d be a cool pic. What type of music do u mostly have on ur Notorious P.O.D.? any fav bands?

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 26, 2003 at 4:14 PM (CDT)