iPod charging cables
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Will the charge/sync cable for a third-generation iPod nano work to charge a first-generation iPod touch? I have an iPod touch that has been dead for some time and at the moment will not charge with the iPod nano cable and AC adapter plug. It also won’t charge when plugged into a computer. I have been told that I must use the cable specific to the model, but that sounds completely off-the-wall to me. I’m trying to get the iPod touch charged for a friend who lost their original cable. They don’t want to buy a new one right now so we’re working with what we have.
A: Every iPod USB to Dock Connector cable released since the Dock Connector debuted with the third-generation iPod in 2003 has basically been identical in terms of the internal electronics. Even the USB to Dock Connector cable that came with the original third-generation click-wheel iPod will still work with the iPhone 4.
If the iPod touch is not charging at all, and you’ve confirmed that the USB to Dock Connector cable is working fine with other iPod models, then chances are that the iPod touch itself is no longer able to hold a charge. Note that if the iPod touch has not been used in some time, it’s entirely possible that you may need to leave it plugged in for 15-30 minutes before it actually wakes up, but if you’ve left it for several hours and you’re still not seeing any response at all, chances are that the iPod touch is simply dead.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases first developer betas for iOS 9.3.3, tvOS 9.2.2
- More iPhone 7 leaks surface, protruding camera seen
- Apple pulls iOS 9.3.2 update for 9.7” iPad Pro due to ‘bricking’ issues
- Report: CarPlay coming to BMW vehicles later this year
- Report: One iPhone model to use a glass casing next year
- Apple opening Maps development office in India
- Apple eyeing partnerships with Indian phone companies
- Apple engineers visit musician’s home, are stumped by iTunes deletions
- China scrutinizing Apple over security concerns
- Report: Apple to open three retail stores in India before 2018
- OtterBox Symmetry Series Hybrid Case for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Logitech Logi BASE Charging Stand for iPad Pro
- Twelve South TimePorter for Apple Watch
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)