iPod classic accessory compatibility
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Does anyone know if the 120 GB iPod classic has the same input/charging slots as the 30GB fifth-generation iPod? I’m upgrading my iPod and wanted to know if all the accessories I have will work with my new iPod?
A: The short answer is yes. Unlike all of the other iPod models released in 2008, the iPod classic 120GB retains support for both USB and FireWire charging capabilities. The ability to charge via FireWire-based accessories was removed in the other 2008 iPod models. While most new charging accessories use USB-based charging, there are still some speakers and other accessories being sold that charge via FireWire power instead. The good news is that the 120GB iPod classic will work with either.
The one important caveat going from the fifth-generation iPod to any later iPod model, however, is the video cables. If you are using video output cables to connect your 5G iPod to your TV, you will likely find that these will not work with the iPod classic, and you will therefore have to purchase newer cables. Video output through the headphone port was discontinued after the fifth-generation iPod, so Dock Connector cables must be used, but these cables must also be specifically made for the 2007 or later iPod models, as an authentication chip is now required in the cable to enable video output from the iPod. These newer cables still work with the 5G iPod, so if you’ve purchased a Dock Connector based video output cable recently it may be iPod-classic compatible, but unless the cable specifically says it works with the newer iPod models (ie, classic, nano, touch, iPhone), chances are it won’t work. You can find more information on this issue in our article, Apple locks TV out in new iPods.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Beta testing for Pokémon GO begins in the U.S.
- Apple’s plan to open stores in India hits a snag (Update: India’s finance minister ratifies ruling)
- Apple looking into charging stations for electric cars
- Apple hires hint at improvements in encryption, health monitoring
- Hyundai adds CarPlay support to more vehicles
- Plaintiffs file new motion to keep ‘Error 53’ Touch ID lawsuit alive
- Report: Apple developing Siri home speaker to rival Amazon’s Echo; will release Siri SDK at WWDC
- iOS Spotlight search now offers relevant results for some emoji
- Cook discusses ambitious plan to beef up Apple Watch’s health monitoring
- New leak shows dual camera exclusive to ‘iPhone 7 Plus,’ but no Smart Connector
- OtterBox Symmetry Series Hybrid Case for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Logitech Logi BASE Charging Stand for iPad Pro
- Twelve South TimePorter for Apple Watch
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)