iPod crashes and loses library
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I was listening to my iPod, and it froze on me. When I restarted it by holding down the appropriate buttons, it came back without a single song in its library. Is it really possible that it erased its entire hard drive in a single crash? I really hope not: I manually manage my music, and I don’t have a copy on my computer.
A: Stephanie, excellent news: there’s a very slim chance that your music is gone from your iPod. In fact, if you go into the iPod’s “Settings → About” menu, you’re likely to find that the iPod reports an amount of hard drive space available that indicates your music is still there—somewhere.
The likely cause of the problem is that your iPod’s internal database has become corrupted. Luckily, software developers have recognized this as a fairly common problem, and written utilities that help fix it. YamiPod, a free multipurpose iPod utility for both Windows and Mac users, includes such a feature that has worked for us on several occasions.
Download YamiPod, and follow their directions for repairing your iPod here.
If that doesn’t work, it may still be possible to save your music by copying it to your hard drive, and reimporting it into iTunes, starting over (you’ll lose playcounts and ratings this way). To do so, begin by enabling the view of hidden files in Windows Explorer or the Mac’s Finder, put your iPod in “Enable Disc Use” mode, and locate the music files in the folders contained in your iPod’s “iPod_Control/iTunes/Music” folder. Copy these back to your iTunes library, restore your iPod, and begin anew.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Apple developing its own Snapchat-style social video editing iOS app
- Apple announces Apple Music Festival lineup including Alicia Keys, Britney Spears + more
- Universal calls an end to exclusives amid criticisms that Apple Music is hurting the industry
- Apple reveals some of its upcoming AI advancements for the iPhone
- Apple Music’s royalty rates complicate Spotify’s contract negotiations
- iFixit highlights ‘Touch Disease’ affecting many iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus models
- Rebranded Nike+ Run Club app adds new tracking abilities
- Apple Music Festival set for Sept. 18-30
- Report: Apple planning three iPhone models for 2017, one with curved OLED display
- Apple investigating after two Foxconn employees died last week
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected Bluetooth Toothbrush
- Audeze EL-8 Titanium Over-Ear Headphones
- Defined Corp Dome Stand for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Speck StyleFolio Pencil for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Audeze Sine On-Ear Headphone
- First Alert Onelink Wi-Fi Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Logitech Create 9.7” iPad Pro Keyboard Case
- iDevices Outdoor Switch Power Outlet
- 808 Audio Canz XL Bluetooth Speaker
- Standzout Helix Dock for Apple Watch
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app