iPod Dock and Remote control solutions
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Thanks for iLounge - tremendously informative. My classical/jazz/opera collection runs 10,000+ songs. I use an external 250 GB hard drive and several backups and run iTunes to manage it. My question concerns using an iPod touch. In my home I have 4 stereos that I listen to. I connect the iPod touch using the headphone jack. I would like to buy 4 docks, one for each stereo, and one power charger where the iPod touch would spend the night recharging. I would like a single remote that would be used on all 4 docks. Does Apple sell multiple docks that work with a single remote? Does anyone else?
A: The Apple Universal Dock is probably your simplest and most inexpensive option. Although each Dock includes its own remote control, by default each of these remotes can be used interchangeably with other Apple devices. This includes not only other Apple Universal Docks, but also Mac computers and the Apple TV. Apple does provide a “pairing” process for its devices in the event that you want a Dock or other device to only respond to a specific remote, but by default one Apple remote will control all Apple IR-enabled devices within range. In addition, Apple now offers an even nicer aluminum option in the 2009 Apple Remote that was released late last year.
Note, however, that the Apple Remote and Universal Dock provides only playback controls—play, pause, rewind, fast forward, previous/next track and volume control—it will not allow you to actually navigate the menus on your iPod touch from the remote. You’ll pay a bit more if you’re looking for a Dock and remote solution that provides the ability to navigate through the menus on your iPod touch, but the Dexim AV Dock Station with Remote Control and Logic3 Pro-Dock are both options worth considering in this case.
If you’re willing to spend a bit more, however, another solution that is definitely worth considering is purchasing an Airport Express unit for each of your stereos and streaming your music wirelessly directly from your iTunes library on your computer. In this case, you could use the iPod touch as a Wi-Fi remote control by using the free Apple Remote app. While this is a slightly more expensive option, it would provide access to your entire music library from any of your stereos and could even provide simultaneous multi-room audio. In addition, the Airport Express units provide optical output capabilities and could possibly be used to extend the range of your existing wireless network.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Tim Cook to host Hillary Clinton fundraiser
- Report: Apple to update Apple Store app with personalized recommendations
- Report: Apple now prioritizing autonomous driving system in car project
- WSJ: Apple’s ‘hard-charging’ approach unsuccessful in negotiations with TV networks
- Video purports to show official Lightning to 3.5mm headphone adapter
- New iPhone pre-orders to start Sept. 9?
- Apple has sold one billion iPhones
- Parkopedia to provide detailed parking information for Apple Maps [Updated]
- Microsoft releases Pix camera app for iPhone
- Adobe launches new Lightroom viewer for Apple TV
- Elgato Avea Flare Portable Mood Light
- Moe Bull Stand for iPad Air 2 + 9.7” iPad Pro
- Netatmo Tags for Welcome Smart Home Camera
- iDevices Socket HomeKit-enabled Light Adapter
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartPlug for Apple HomeKit
- Marbotic Smart Letters for iPad
- Ecoxgear Sol Jam Bluetooth Speaker
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case + Hand Strap for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Braven BRV-1M Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-Blade Bluetooth Speaker
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app