iPod docks and line-out
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
I wonder if you can suggest a nice, small dock that can charge, sync and have fixed, not variable, line out for my third-generation iPod touch? I read the review of the dock for the iPhone but I’m not sure if it works with my iPod touch. As far as I know, the Apple Universal Dock doesn’t have a true (fixed volume) line out.
The line-out on the Apple Universal Dock is actually only attenuated to reduce the volume as necessary and not amplified or otherwise modified in any way, so in that sense it is still a “true” line out in that it’s not passing through any audio amplification circuits. This is done to allow the volume control on the iPod itself to match the volume being output from the Dock, however when the iPod is set to maximum volume, the Dock is essentially passing unmodified through the audio output.
That said, since the ability to match the volume control to the device itself actually requires the use of an Apple authentication chip, the Apple Universal Docks are some of the very few basic docks that provide any kind of audio attenuation. Even Apple’s own iPhone Dock does not support this capability, although it is designed for the physical dimensions of the iPhone and therefore not compatible with the iPod touch, at least not without physically modifying the dock to fit the iPod touch.
More sophisticated docks that include remote controls and other capabilities still often provide their own audio amplifier/attenuator, however, rather than a pure line-out, so you will want to stay away from any of the higher-end docks. That said, these usually carry higher price tags as well.
Another option that might be worth considering is to look for older Apple docks from other sources. Although Apple doesn’t sell these any more, docks for the fourth-generation iPod and iPod photo provided direct line-out audio capabilities and would be large enough to fit the iPod touch, albeit not snugly.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple’s exclusive audiobook deal with Audible ends in Europe following EU antitrust scrutiny
- Nintendo officially announces Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS, coming Feb. 2
- Rumor: Apple working on second-generation Apple Pencil
- GarageBand 2.2 adds Logic Pro X integration, Alchemy synth, Multi-Take Recording
- FTC files complaint against Qualcomm citing royalty deal with Apple
- India mulling manufacturing regulation changes which could woo Apple
- Apple Music creative team discusses the service’s exclusives, future
- Apple raising UK App Store prices by more than 25 percent
- Iovine fuels speculation about Apple’s interest in scripted TV shows
- Report: ‘iPhone 8’ to include upgraded water resistance
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10