iPod docks and line-out
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
I wonder if you can suggest a nice, small dock that can charge, sync and have fixed, not variable, line out for my third-generation iPod touch? I read the review of the dock for the iPhone but I’m not sure if it works with my iPod touch. As far as I know, the Apple Universal Dock doesn’t have a true (fixed volume) line out.
The line-out on the Apple Universal Dock is actually only attenuated to reduce the volume as necessary and not amplified or otherwise modified in any way, so in that sense it is still a “true” line out in that it’s not passing through any audio amplification circuits. This is done to allow the volume control on the iPod itself to match the volume being output from the Dock, however when the iPod is set to maximum volume, the Dock is essentially passing unmodified through the audio output.
That said, since the ability to match the volume control to the device itself actually requires the use of an Apple authentication chip, the Apple Universal Docks are some of the very few basic docks that provide any kind of audio attenuation. Even Apple’s own iPhone Dock does not support this capability, although it is designed for the physical dimensions of the iPhone and therefore not compatible with the iPod touch, at least not without physically modifying the dock to fit the iPod touch.
More sophisticated docks that include remote controls and other capabilities still often provide their own audio amplifier/attenuator, however, rather than a pure line-out, so you will want to stay away from any of the higher-end docks. That said, these usually carry higher price tags as well.
Another option that might be worth considering is to look for older Apple docks from other sources. Although Apple doesn’t sell these any more, docks for the fourth-generation iPod and iPod photo provided direct line-out audio capabilities and would be large enough to fit the iPod touch, albeit not snugly.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Source: New AI set to give Siri a massive improvement
- India officially rejects Apple’s bid to sell used phones
- Apple’s new ‘Echo rival’ may feature a camera
- Apple ‘working rapidly’ to extend Apple Pay to more countries
- Report: Apple’s Siri-based Amazon Echo competitor will be a new Apple TV
- Report: Apple SVP Eddy Cue proposed bid to buy Time Warner
- Beta testing for Pokémon GO begins in the U.S.
- Apple’s plan to open stores in India hits a snag (Update: India’s finance minister ratifies ruling)
- Apple looking into charging stations for electric cars
- Apple hires hint at improvements in encryption, health monitoring
- OtterBox Symmetry Series Hybrid Case for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Logitech Logi BASE Charging Stand for iPad Pro
- Twelve South TimePorter for Apple Watch
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)