iPod flash memory capacity
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am thinking about upgrading to a flash based iPod (like the iPod touch), and I am wondering if the real storage capacity is closer to the 8, 16 or 32 GB claimed. My 5G 30GB iPod only has an actual storage capacity of 27.84GB after software.
A: In reality, the listed versus actual storage capacities for all iPod models have very little to do with installed software and more to do with differences in how storage units are calculated and advertised by hardware vendors versus how they are reported by software.
To a hardware manufacturer, one Gigabyte is equal to 1,000,000,000 bytes, whereas software being binary in nature uses a base-2 system where one Gigabyte is actually 1,073,741,824 bytes.
This is the main reason your computer only reports a storage capacity of 27.84GB for your 30GB iPod. Your 30GB iPod has a capacity of 30,000,000,000 bytes, which divided by 1,073,741,824 equals approximately 27.93. The remaining small difference (0.09 GB or about 90 MB) is attributable to the iPod operating system and software files itself.
Note that this is no different from your computer hard drive. A 160GB hard drive in your computer will only have a “real” capacity of around 149GB as far as your computer’s operating system software is concerned.
This does not change with flash memory chips. A 32 GB iPod touch is going to have a capacity of 32,000,000,000 bytes, which your computer will report as approximately 29.8 GB. The iPod touch operating system and support files are actually larger than the traditional iPod models due and will take up about another 300 MB, leaving you with around 29.5 GB of actual usable space as far as your computer is concerned.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!