iPod nano accessory compatibility
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have reading your reviews on the iPod transmitters and there is a lot of good information on your site, I am impressed! I am looking for the best clarity from an FM transmitter, and in fact returned the iTrip because it was never clear and had no treble transmissions. I saw that the Kensington Digital FM Transmitter is rated about the highest and I would love to get one. However, I have a first generation 4GB nano that isn’t listed under compatibilities, although I saw that the nano 1GB and 2GB models are compatible with it on another site. I wasn’t sure if that was strictly the only options or if it will work with mine also. If you could please let me know if this unit will work with my 1G 4GB iPod nano, that would be great. Thanks a lot, keep up the awesome, in-depth reviews.
A: The Kensington Digital FM Transmitter remains an excellent choice for overall quality of devices in its class. From a compatibility point of view, it is definitely compatible with all models of 5G iPod and iPod nano, providing you are running a recent firmware version.
As a rule, an accessory for any specific generation of iPod will be compatible with all of the different devices in that generation. Therefore, anything that works with a 2GB 1G Nano will also work with the 4GB 1G Nano. The same also applies, of course, to the 30GB and 80GB fifth-generation iPod.
In fact, most accessories designed for the first-generation iPod nano will also work with the second generation models, with the only issue being one of actual physical compatibility. One very common example of this is the Dock Connector and headphone spacing, which is different between the two generations, so devices that incorporate both a Dock Connector and headphone plug will definitely not work, but these are the exception rather than the rule. Further, voice recording accessories are only supported on the second-generation iPod nano and fifth-generation iPod.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!