iPod nano accessory compatibility
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have reading your reviews on the iPod transmitters and there is a lot of good information on your site, I am impressed! I am looking for the best clarity from an FM transmitter, and in fact returned the iTrip because it was never clear and had no treble transmissions. I saw that the Kensington Digital FM Transmitter is rated about the highest and I would love to get one. However, I have a first generation 4GB nano that isn’t listed under compatibilities, although I saw that the nano 1GB and 2GB models are compatible with it on another site. I wasn’t sure if that was strictly the only options or if it will work with mine also. If you could please let me know if this unit will work with my 1G 4GB iPod nano, that would be great. Thanks a lot, keep up the awesome, in-depth reviews.
A: The Kensington Digital FM Transmitter remains an excellent choice for overall quality of devices in its class. From a compatibility point of view, it is definitely compatible with all models of 5G iPod and iPod nano, providing you are running a recent firmware version.
As a rule, an accessory for any specific generation of iPod will be compatible with all of the different devices in that generation. Therefore, anything that works with a 2GB 1G Nano will also work with the 4GB 1G Nano. The same also applies, of course, to the 30GB and 80GB fifth-generation iPod.
In fact, most accessories designed for the first-generation iPod nano will also work with the second generation models, with the only issue being one of actual physical compatibility. One very common example of this is the Dock Connector and headphone spacing, which is different between the two generations, so devices that incorporate both a Dock Connector and headphone plug will definitely not work, but these are the exception rather than the rule. Further, voice recording accessories are only supported on the second-generation iPod nano and fifth-generation iPod.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- New Puff Daddy Documentary will be another Apple Music exclusive
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.3.2
- Report: Apple’s Jimmy Iovine still has ambitious video plans for Apple Music
- Apple executive talks using AI to boost human memory
- Apple rolling out ‘Today at Apple’ educational courses starting in May
- Smart home device maker iDevices acquired by Hubbell
- Apple delays ‘Carpool Karaoke’ release to ‘later this year’
- Dutch court rules Apple can’t replace broken iPads with refurbished models
- Chinese blog claims Apple is only releasing two iPhone 8 models, no iPhone 7s or 7s Plus
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3.2, watchOS 3.2.2, and tvOS 10.2.1
- Advanced Evo X & M4
- Advanced Mezger aptX Bluetooth Receiver
- iDevices Wall Switch
- iDevices Wall Outlet
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartSocket for Apple HomeKit
- Sony MDR-1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
- FiiO i1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter
- Blue Ella Headphones
- Apple iPad (Fifth-Generation)
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10