iPod nano and Nike+ Kit
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I heard the new iPod nano has a Nike+ app built-in. Does this mean the new model works directly with the Nike+ sensor now, or do I still need to plug in the receiver?
A: The first thing to note is that there actually isn’t a “new” iPod nano. The iPod nano being sold this year is the same as the 2010 iPod nano with the only difference being iPod nano firmware v1.2 which is available as a free download for the earlier models as well.
What has changed in the v1.2 firmware is an expanded version of the Pedometer feature introduced in 2010. Originally, the iPod nano provided a limited Pedometer mode which used the accelerometer to track steps when walking. This has now been expanded to provide most of the same features of the Nike+ app such as the ability to track runs and provide more statistical data and history even without the sensor connected. However without the sensor this feature uses the built-in accelerometer to collect this information, meaning that it calculates your movements based on the jiggling of the iPod nano itself, which may be less accurate attached to your arm or chest. Serious fitness enthusiasts will likely still want to use the Sport Kit for the increased accuracy provided by the shoe sensor.
If you want to use the Nike+ kit this works in much the same way as it always has—you will need to plug in the receiver to the Dock Connector and pair it with the sensor. The only difference in the v1.2 firmware is that the “Fitness” app doesn’t change based on whether you have the sensor connected—it simply uses the sensor if it’s available, or the accelerometer if not.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!