iPod not automatically disconnecting
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: After my iPod syncs to my iTunes software, the iTunes display says the that iPod is finished updating, but the display on my iPod continues to flash the “Do not Disconnect” warning. What do I do?
A: For a quick fix, simply press the “Eject” icon either in the bottom right hand corner of iTunes, or next to your iPod in the “Source” column. This will eject your iPod immediately, although the ultimate behavior won’t change for next time.
To set up the iPod to eject automatically, slightly more discussion is required: with iTunes, an iPod will only be immediately “ejected” (or, more accurately, “unmounted”) from the computer after a sync if “Disc Use” is disabled in iTunes’ Preferences. This option is what enables your iPod to appear in Windows Explorer or the Mac’s Finder, allowing it to be used as a hard drive for data storage.
To disable the “Enable Disc Use” setting, you must connect your iPod, open iTunes’ Preferences, and under the “iPod” tab, deselect the appropriate checkbox. To do so, “Manually manage songs and playlists” cannot be your synchronization method. With this option unchecked, your iPod will immediately disconnect itself each time a synchronization finishes.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Instagram 9.2 update for iOS includes pinch-to-zoom on photos and videos
- Judge dismisses key claims of Monster’s case against Beats over Apple deal
- Apple adds 2TB iCloud storage option
- Spec sheet shows Lightning EarPods, Lightning headphone adapter packed in with 256GB iPhone 7 Plus
- Papa John’s releases pizza-ordering app for Apple TV
- Apple call Australian banks’ request a ‘detriment to consumers’
- EU determines Apple should pay 13 billion euros in back taxes to Ireland; Apple plans appeal
- SIM tray photos hint at alleged ‘gloss black’ iPhone color
- Trademark filings hint at wireless EarPods, two new Apple Watch models
- Report: EU to rule against Apple-Ireland tax deals, recommend Apple pay 1B+ Euros
- Kanex GoPower Watch Portable Battery for Apple Watch
- Nuvyyo Tablo Over-the-Air Television DVR
- Belkin PowerHouse Charge Dock for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Western Digital My Cloud (OS 3)
- Distil Union Stanley Stand
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected Bluetooth Toothbrush
- Audeze EL-8 Titanium Over-Ear Headphones
- Defined Corp Dome Stand for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Speck StyleFolio Pencil for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Audeze Sine On-Ear Headphone
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app