iPod not showing up on computer
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
What do I do if my iPod doesn’t appear up on my computer when I plug it in? It refuses to appear in either iTunes or My Computer (Finder, on the Mac), and doesn’t appear in the iPod Software Updater. The iPod appears to be working fine on its own. Help!
- Many Ask iLounge readers
A: There are a multitude of possible issues here, involving both hardware and software. Before tweaking any software configurations, try the following trivial hardware-related ideas first, in order.
- If you’re using an iPod nano or 5th generation iPod, make sure you’re using USB. These models will not do data transfer over Firewire.
- If you’re connecting via a USB or Firewire hub, try removing it from your chain. Unpowered hubs, especially, can cause connection issues with any power-hungry device.
- Similarly, if you’re connecting to a USB or Firewire port on the front of your computer, try the ports on the back, instead. Often, PC manufacturers will not provide power to the ports on the front, occasionally causing issues with certain iPods.
- Try a different iPod cable, if you have an extra. We’ve discovered on several occasions that device connection problems were the fault of a flaw in the cable we were using.
If none of these hardware ideas resolves your issue, you can try the following software idea (again, we’d do them in this order):
- Install the latest version of iTunes from Apple’s website. iTunes comes with several mostly invisible “helper” programs that help the PC monitor itself for iPod connections. Often, reinstalling or upgrading iTunes can resolve missing or damaged “helper” services.
- Under normal iPod problems, we’d usually recommend “Restoring” the iPod, but if you can’t mount your iPod on your computer, you’re not likely to be able to do this. Download the latest iPod Software Updater and give it a try, but chances are slim that the program will see your iPod, if the rest of your computer can’t.
Clearly, you can logically short-cut some of these steps, if, for example, you know that your iPod mounts on other PCs. If you can’t resolve the issue with any of the ideas above, your iPod is likely faulty, and you should take it to the nearest Apple Store Genius Bar or call 1-800-MY-APPLE for service. Good luck!
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!