iPod not showing up on computer
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
What do I do if my iPod doesn’t appear up on my computer when I plug it in? It refuses to appear in either iTunes or My Computer (Finder, on the Mac), and doesn’t appear in the iPod Software Updater. The iPod appears to be working fine on its own. Help!
- Many Ask iLounge readers
A: There are a multitude of possible issues here, involving both hardware and software. Before tweaking any software configurations, try the following trivial hardware-related ideas first, in order.
- If you’re using an iPod nano or 5th generation iPod, make sure you’re using USB. These models will not do data transfer over Firewire.
- If you’re connecting via a USB or Firewire hub, try removing it from your chain. Unpowered hubs, especially, can cause connection issues with any power-hungry device.
- Similarly, if you’re connecting to a USB or Firewire port on the front of your computer, try the ports on the back, instead. Often, PC manufacturers will not provide power to the ports on the front, occasionally causing issues with certain iPods.
- Try a different iPod cable, if you have an extra. We’ve discovered on several occasions that device connection problems were the fault of a flaw in the cable we were using.
If none of these hardware ideas resolves your issue, you can try the following software idea (again, we’d do them in this order):
- Install the latest version of iTunes from Apple’s website. iTunes comes with several mostly invisible “helper” programs that help the PC monitor itself for iPod connections. Often, reinstalling or upgrading iTunes can resolve missing or damaged “helper” services.
- Under normal iPod problems, we’d usually recommend “Restoring” the iPod, but if you can’t mount your iPod on your computer, you’re not likely to be able to do this. Download the latest iPod Software Updater and give it a try, but chances are slim that the program will see your iPod, if the rest of your computer can’t.
Clearly, you can logically short-cut some of these steps, if, for example, you know that your iPod mounts on other PCs. If you can’t resolve the issue with any of the ideas above, your iPod is likely faulty, and you should take it to the nearest Apple Store Genius Bar or call 1-800-MY-APPLE for service. Good luck!
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple to provide more unified TV experience with new ‘TV’ app for Apple TV
- Elgato announces HomeKit-enabled Eve Light Switch
- Apple delays AirPods release
- Report: iPhone 8 likely to come in three glass-backed sizes
- Report: New Apple TV app to provide show recommendations
- Apple’s German website adds Apple Pay support page, but still no launch
- Notes from Apple’s Q4 2016 earnings call
- Apple Q4 2016: $46.9B revenue, 45.5M iPhones + 9.2M iPads sold
- Apple reportedly hiring engineers from BlackBerry, developing car operating system in Canada
- Apple releases PowerBeats3 Wireless earphones
- Creative iRoar Go Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Bowers & Wilkins P3 Series 2 Headphones
- Incase Icon, Pop, and Textured Snap for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Philips Hue Motion Sensor
- Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature Headphones
- Tech Armor FlexProtect and Shock Flex for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- SwitchEasy Flash and Fleur for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Blue Microphones Raspberry Mobile Microphone
- Incipio Haven for iPhone 7 and Reprieve Sport for iPhone 7 Plus
- Mophie Hold Force Magnetic Case System for iPhone 7
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps